New Above Ground Salt Water Pool

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
New pool installed and fished filling yesterday. the water looks dark but when I took out a sample it was clear. I started the filter and added salt i calculated for my gallon pool. I let it run for 24 hrs. I then turned on the salt water generater today. How long before it will clear up? Also are these the right steps I took?
thank you also attached is my water test result.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll soon find that here on the forum we discourage using free store testing. Many of the results are incorrect or misleading. So to make this summer less stressful, we highly recommend you obtain a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. See Test Kits Compared. Home testing is the best way to manage your water.

Having said that, you mentioned your water looked dark? Are you filling from a well? Can you update your city location and also your signature with all of you pool and equipment info? This will help as we move forward.

As for Leslie's recommendations (if you trust their testing), you would need the following:
1. Increase stabilizer to 30 ppm (for now). If we confirm water is clear with no algae, then increase later to 70 for a salt pool.
2. Use some baking soda to increase the TA to about 60. Don't buy their overpriced Alk-Up.
3. Increase the FC using liquid chlorine or regular bleach ASAP. Get it up to about 5 ppmm right away to avoid algae.

Use the PoolMath APP to help you with dosage amounts. It's a great tool. Just load your pool info and practice with it. We can help you along the way, but remember that you must have a proper test kit. That's a big one. Please see our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and rad/save those Vital Links below in my signature. Thanks for posting.

Hey Tex! Thanks for the welcome!
I added my pool info to my signature.
15 x 24 x 52 Above Ground 8500 gal saltwater pool
AquaPro 120 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 1.5-HP 2-Speed Pump
Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator
im in Long Island ny. i filled with my garden hose.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Well done! :goodjob: Still a little curious about that dark water thing. Maybe it's just misleading with the liner color. You can report back tomorrow with an update. But you do need those 3 things I noted above. Start by adding some chlorine and stabilizer. The last thing you need is an algae outbreak. I also neglected to mention continuing to monitor the pH to try and get it into the 7s range. We'll watch for more updates.

Reactions: Mkstretch
Today the pool was clear. I used my Taylor test kit today and these are the results;
Alkalinity - 120ppm
chlorine - 3.6ppm
ph-8.0
cyanuric acid-35
calcium hardness-70ppm
also how often am I supposed to run my pool filter?
some Pool Chemicals say to add it to the skimmer, but then I read not to. what’s up with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.