New Above Ground Pool

CYA would not go up when you added calcium. They are unrelated. You either measured differently this time or more CYA has dissolved. Or you have been using powdered chlorine or tablets and not liquid. But calcium would not raise CYA.

Lower your pH to 7.2 and then let it drift back up to 8. Then repeat. Eventually your total alkalinity will fall and your pH won't rise as fast. The total alkalinity guidelines assume you are using tablets which are acidic... you should be using liquid chlorine which is pH neutral.

Tell what you think of this product:

NST, tablets, chlorinator
poolife® NST™ Tablets
poolife® Exclusive Pool Care Collection NST™ is an alternative to 3" tablets and does not contain cyanuric acid. Perfect for use in a skimmer, this product will destroy bacteria and organic contaminants without over-stabilizing your pool water or adding additional cyanuric acid to your water. Each long-lasting tablet will continuously sanitize your pool in the skimmer for up to one week! This product is an innovative, patented technology that provides long-lasting, slow-dissolving chlorination. It’s compatible for use with pools equipped with salt chlorine generators to help maintain the proper sanitization level.

TFPC is about understanding what you are putting into your pool and how to do it inexpensively. So yes, there can be a place for tabs, etc. so long as you appreciate and account for their effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How absolute is that statement? Is there not a place for those sort of tabs for a vacation and then get back on the program after a return? Otherwise, and without a liquidator, there's no real way to leave town for a week or more.
I suppose I was being extreme, but if you look back through the post history of this thread, you will see that the original poster asked why should he not use trichlor tablets... and I explained that they add cyanuric acid and that liquid bleach was better.

Now he asks... well, why can't I use these "other" tablets "without cya?"... (in this case, cal hypo)....

And I then received a private message from OP asking why he is having to use so much bleach each day....

So... I suppose one could assume that OP is thinking... boy why should I have to test and add bleach every day when I can use these tablets AND they won't add stablizer to the water...

My point is, the grass is not greener on the other side. The tablets are not the solution to your problems. You need to figure out what your issue is and not just search for some other way to chlorinate your pool... Especially not calcium based tablets in Texas with constant evaporation and hard water....

I understand the SLAM but if I have algae or other contamination in the pool, shouldn't my pool water be cloudy, my water is crystal clear.
Well, there were a few times I think when your chlorine got below the minimum? Or am I mistaken?

You may have a very small little colony of algae growing somewhere consuming chlorine and the only way to know is to perform the overnight test.

You want to catch it before the pool turns cloudy or green... One of the first signs you have things growing in the water is that the chlorine usage spikes...

The overnight chlorine loss test rules out ultra violet light as a source for chlorine loss. If you are using a bunch up overnight with no sunlight, you have something growing in the water.

If not, then we know we have at least ruled that out.

I usually run my water tests first thing every morning and then add what I need, between the time I add chlorine that morning and then test it the next morning is when I see the drop in the FC or should I be testing every night. I will try to preform the Overnight Chlorine Loss test tonight as I have to be at the VA Hospital very early in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.