New above ground pool owner

Ash723

Jun 16, 2020
Ny
I just finished filling my new pool. I was wondering ... Should you use chlorine tablets or liquid shock? Fresh water in it and didnt think liquid shock was needed but not sure what to do it is roughly 10800 gallons and 22' coleman :unsure:

Last edited:
Welcome!

Check out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. It will explain the downsides of using tablets to chlorinate. They add CYA, which doesn’t go away while the FC does - the more CYA you have, the more FC you need.

We feel it’s better to add CYA once to know what you have and then chlorinate with liquid chlorine, which only adds chlorine and a hint of salt to the pool.

We recommend you get your own test kit to be able to tell the levels in the pool - either a TFT-100 or a Taylor K-2006C (the C is important). Then you know exactly what is in your pool with no guessing or relying on pool stores which may or may not be correct. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.