New 27' AGP Partially buried Build - update thread

Well you may as well install the pool now. You've already done the hard part.

We negotiated the price of the install this morning with the work we did. We basically hired him to guide and extra hands since we so new at this. We got the pool walls up, he showed us how our stones were slightly off which still need fixing which he will help us tomorrow with.

I have to say getting the pool wall up was not an easy task for us. Have no idea how you got a pool up to start filling in 3 hours, that is amazing to me! Maybe if I had done this a few times? Anyways, you amaze me!

It probably took us at least a couple hours to get the wall up and in place, maybe three. We thought we were good until the end and wall came up 6 inches short. We moved in the pool rails in to make up the difference. The wall was 276 pounds. Not sure why we struggled with getting wall closed up, but we did. While working on pool, we also tilled a bunch of the dirt to use as back fill, we hoping we have enough and didn't haul away too much.

Tomorrow we will get more sand in pool for final leveling\tamping, then will put in the XPS foam bottom, followed by liner and water! Tuesday we are supposed to get an inch or rain or so which I think we can deal with. I am more concerned with the 30 mph winds we are supposed to have with it. Pool guy felt pretty confident it wont move, but I wish we had more water in there to help hold it down. What do you experts think?

Also, neighbor said he heard you can call the local water company or city to use the fire hydrant to fill up pool quicker. Anyone done this?

Thanks!

of course if anyone sees something in pictures that we should fix, let me know. I know the stones are off a bit and we will fix those tomorrow. I also see a slight bow in on bottom right part of pool that happened while tightening wall to be able to close it. Pool guy said this will fix and balance out when water goes in. Thoughts?

poolWall.jpg

Tilled dirt to use as back fill, may have to rent tiller again, guessing it not enough.. Probably have 4-5" of loose ground in that section to shovel up and use...
TilledDirt.jpg

Soooooooooooo close. Hang in there, the headaches will be worth it when you never have to revisit this part. Doing great so far !!

We basically dug down and leveled the space more and tried to get the tracks on current ground so there was no gap. Little gaps we filled with dirt.

I feel for your pain with the rain! Best of luck that you can get some dry weather!

We slightly worried we will get the pool up just in time for Tuesday storm and wind to come in. We really hoping to start filling today so it don't blow over. I hear it takes a couple days to fill and you cannot backfill until it full? Then we hoping to have enough time to start backfilling before the outside gets filled up with water from storm.

Not sure what would happen in above scenario or if pool would be ok? We do not want to find out...
Yeah mine says don’t backfill until it’s full. I imagine whatever you have underneath would have a good chance of washing out. Nightmare scenario. The tropics have been wreaking havoc this year already lol.

Do not install the liner on a high wind day. If your hair is blowing in the wind, it's too windy.

XPS and Liner was installed and we started filling yesterday evening. We used vacuum to work overnight to help remove wrinkles while filling. This morning it looks to be good, no wrinkles and about 18" of water in there as estimate. We getting some rain right now from the tropical storm to help fill it up.

It is supposed to stop raining here in a couple hours, then be dry for awhile before a cold front sweeps through and is expected to have heavy rain. I know you are not supposed to back fill until the pool is full, but is it safe to back fill below the water line before the fill is completely done?

We trying to avoid a moat around the outside of the pool as it may not be easy to remove the water in that scenario and could be there for several days. Will this affect anything we have done? If we can get 15" of back fill in there below the waterline, it would be easier to deal with removing existing water. Or we let is fill up and just dump the backfill into the water?

Here is pic with liner installed and 3 hoses from our yard filling it up.
PoolLiner.jpg

It was very wise to remove your work and start over. The footings have to be on solid ground. The weight of the water would compress any kind of build up that you did to raise footings.

Good luck filling with the clay. I don't know if your yard is as clay as mine, but mine could not be done with clay. I ended up buying a truck full of clean fill dirt to back fill with.

You're almost there! Are you going yo have all of the plumbing above ground?

Also, I don't know if you are planning a deck, but if so, you need to set the posts near the pool in the solid ground before you back fill. They will settle in the fill dirt and you'll end up with an out-of-level deck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Chasarms. We will think about the deck before we back fill... which means tonight because we renting the tiller again to break up the ground for back fill dirt for our friday afternoon\Sat morning project. We will also till it so it grades more correctly away from house where the dumped dirt was.

I do have question for Casey or experts out there....we have the pool just about full. We had a section of pool that thought would expand back out a bit once it was full of water and it didn't. If you look at the second support pillar to the right of the hoses in picture above, you can see it off. I measured it and it is probably 2" out of level from top to bottom, where towards the top of the pool it is learning forward.

I think what happened is when we framed it all up we had to adjust some of the blocks after wall was up. That particular block had to move over a few inches to center on the post. So from inside the pool we shoveled a bit under the rail to the left of the block and then moved the block over where it needed. What I think we did unintentionally is made that block unlevel from front to back. I haven't measured but guessing the front of the block inside pool is lower than the opposite causing it to lean inward. The pillar looks flush to the bottom of the block.

How would we fix this? My thought is to before we backfill that space just dig out a bit on the back side under the block, but I do not want to make it uneven enough that the block breaks as it is a 2" block. Is it ok with this one section leaning in a bit and maybe it will settle over time? Should we try to dig out .25 inch (or whatever we determine it is out of level by) the back half of the block and attempt to level and straighten it out with the pool full of water?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are working on tilling the yard and using that to backfill the pool. We are probably 75% done.

I just now read about bonding and no idea what this was until last night. Our pool wall is metal and rest is plastic, so guessing we just need to bond the pump, water and then 4 locations around the metal pool wall? Looks like we will have to dig back out some of that backfill to do this. Time is ticking on the tiller rental so will get pictures later

Derek,
If you don't mind me asking...what is the brand/model of your pool? From the pictures, I am assuming it has "wall sections" that need to be put together versus a roll of steel you roll out onto a bottom rail? Correct? And are the walls steel or aluminum?

I am about to purchase an 15x30x52 oval to be buried two feet down in my yard and then build a deck completely around it and I want to make sure I am purchasing a quality pool for this kind of build out? I am looking at the Lomart Whispering Wind II as they are made by Doughboy and the company "says" this pool can be buried completely in the ground if desired.

Thanks!
Matt
Louisville, KY

Derek,
If you don't mind me asking...what is the brand/model of your pool? From the pictures, I am assuming it has "wall sections" that need to be put together versus a roll of steel you roll out onto a bottom rail? Correct? And are the walls steel or aluminum?

I am about to purchase an 15x30x52 oval to be buried two feet down in my yard and then build a deck completely around it and I want to make sure I am purchasing a quality pool for this kind of build out? I am looking at the Lomart Whispering Wind II as they are made by Doughboy and the company "says" this pool can be buried completely in the ground if desired.

Thanks!
Matt
Louisville, KY

Good choice. Here’s mine. It’s a Doughboy Saratoga. 18x38. It’s buried 26” in the ground. It’s arolled wall pool. I lined the walls with heavy gauge plastic before I packed dirt against it.

Attachments

• 8FF16694-70CE-4D33-A4FA-F79F29488E30.jpeg
    8FF16694-70CE-4D33-A4FA-F79F29488E30.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
This is my mock up drawing I did of the current plan for my backyard...I am hoping to get this done before next spring. You would not believe how hard it is to buy a pool right now. I am literally calling dealers all over the country and leaving messages that I have cash in my hand ready to buy...and can't even get a return call .... its crazy... However, I did find one place that will sell me the Lomart Whispering Wind II ...but delivery is not until September.... arghhhhhh :(

Attachments

• pool-patio1.jpg
    pool-patio1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 22
This is my mock up drawing I did of the current plan for my backyard...I am hoping to get this done before next spring. You would not believe how hard it is to buy a pool right now. I am literally calling dealers all over the country and leaving messages that I have cash in my hand ready to buy...and can't even get a return call .... its crazy... However, I did find one place that will sell me the Lomart Whispering Wind II ...but delivery is not until September.... arghhhhhh :(

That is going to be VERY nice when complete. You may not ever leave home!

September? That blows. That is sort of what happened to us last year. We made our deposit on our pool in November of 2018. We didn't have it ready to swim until August of '19. Rain and other installer delays drove us nuts. Once it was in, i was so determined to get the deck done, I hardly used it. By the time everything was actually complete, we had 2-3 weekends before we had to close it.

The bright side is that once the pool is in, you'll have cooler weather to work on everything else. Maybe you can get it all done, and when you open next year, you'll have your whole space to enjoy.

The only advise I can offer that is not represented in the mock up is to make sure that you have a "clean" path to the equipment pad. Walking through the grass and mud/dirt to my equipment pad created my first project for the year. Weed blocking fabric, pavers and washed stone solved last year's headaches.

full-rig-jpg.147749

Last edited:

September? That blows. That is sort of what happened to us last year. We made our deposit on our pool in November of 2018. We didn't have it ready to swim until August of '19. Rain and other installer delays drove us nuts. Once it was in, i was so determined to get the deck done, I hardly used it. By the time everything was actually complete, we had 2-3 weekends before we had to close it.

The bright side is that once the pool is in, you'll have cooler weather to work on everything else. Maybe you can get it all done, and when you open next year, you'll have your whole space to enjoy.

The only advise I can offer that is not represented in the mock up is to make sure that you have a "clean" path to the equipment pad. Walking through the grass and mud/dirt to my equipment pad created my first project for the year. Weed blocking fabric, pavers and washed stone solved last year's headaches.

full-rig-jpg.147749
Very clean look! Love it...and yes very good idea about the pump station... I will have to build a self contained area for that. One question...Because I am burying the pool two feet...should I also recessed the "pump/filter station"? If I can manage to keep the water line above the station...I might be ok...but it will be close. Also, I am planning to place a french drain all the way around the premeter of the pool under the slurry...and run it to daylight. But because my lot is so flat...I don't think I will be able to run it straight out to daylight...I may have to also install a sump pump by the filter/sand station.

full-rig-jpg.147749
Yes..Im sorry to hear it took you so long. Getting it all done and then only having a couple weekends to enjoy, probably sucked. But at least, next Spring you were able to open it and get going right away...Im sure that was a good feeling. It looks like a great space to kick back and relax!

Very clean look! Love it...and yes very good idea about the pump station... I will have to build a self contained area for that. One question...Because I am burying the pool two feet...should I also recessed the "pump/filter station"? If I can manage to keep the water line above the station...I might be ok...but it will be close. Also, I am planning to place a french drain all the way around the premeter of the pool under the slurry...and run it to daylight. But because my lot is so flat...I don't think I will be able to run it straight out to daylight...I may have to also install a sump pump by the filter/sand station.

My pump sits maybe a foot or so below the bottom of the skimmer opening. It works fine and there are no issues with priming. I would think as long as it was even an inch or two, there'd be enough pressure from the pool to prime it.

I buried ours half way at the deepest point. My yard slopes away from the house slightly. It is about 26-27" in the ground at that point, It is as high as 33-34" out of the ground on the back side of the yard at one corner. I didn't use slurry. Doughboy and the PB said slurry was only necessary if I went any deeper. Note that I lined the walls with the heavy plastic before filling with dirt. Also, one tip is to set the deck posts before you back fill. That way they are anchored in existing soil. They'll sink in the fill dirt. Not sure how they would behave in the slurry.

58406994213__03D6768A-9B73-4551-B1BC-C55BC2C4271D.JPG

We're happy. We have two steps up to the pool deck from the back patio.

IMG_1766.JPG

Funny thing is that there are steps leading out of the house down to the patio. If I extended the deck all the way to the house, it would almost be a straight walk out. I'm estimating maybe on 6" step up to the pool deck. Maybe someday!

The reason for the solid, higher fencing on the back is two fold. One, it adds privacy to the pool area, but more importantly, there was an existing vinyl privacy fence in the yard when we bought the home. I kept enough of it when we tore it out for the pool to build that wall. I just cut it down to shorten it. That's a 54' run across the back. It saved me quite a bit of money to re-purpose that material.

My pump sits maybe a foot or so below the bottom of the skimmer opening. It works fine and there are no issues with priming. I would think as long as it was even an inch or two, there'd be enough pressure from the pool to prime it.

I buried ours half way at the deepest point. My yard slopes away from the house slightly. It is about 26-27" in the ground at that point, It is as high as 33-34" out of the ground on the back side of the yard at one corner. I didn't use slurry. Doughboy and the PB said slurry was only necessary if I went any deeper. Note that I lined the walls with the heavy plastic before filling with dirt. Also, one tip is to set the deck posts before you back fill. That way they are anchored in existing soil. They'll sink in the fill dirt. Not sure how they would behave in the slurry.

View attachment 148802

We're happy. We have two steps up to the pool deck from the back patio.

View attachment 148808

Funny thing is that there are steps leading out of the house down to the patio. If I extended the deck all the way to the house, it would almost be a straight walk out. I'm estimating maybe on 6" step up to the pool deck. Maybe someday!

The reason for the solid, higher fencing on the back is two fold. One, it adds privacy to the pool area, but more importantly, there was an existing vinyl privacy fence in the yard when we bought the home. I kept enough of it when we tore it out for the pool to build that wall. I just cut it down to shorten it. That's a 54' run across the back. It saved me quite a bit of money to re-purpose that material.
Thats a sweet setup! And way to go on repurposing the fencing for a wall. Great idea and it looks great...not to mention saving money is ALWAYS good. So I have a few deck questions.... 1. Did you put those posts in concrete in the ground? 2. It looks like you have them right up against the top rail of the pool...did you use any kind of standard distancing (either under the top rail or up against the top rail) in placing those posts with regards to your decking reaching in under the top rail? 3. Did you place your posts on 8 foot centers? (Im just guessing by the pictures)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.