New 15' AGP - and I might have killed my water. Advice?

Dougiefreshhh

Sep 21, 2021
Suffield, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi -

Been reading a while and I think I might have destroyed my pool water.

Put up a AGP 15'x4' pool (4.6k gals) with sand filter, filled with spring water. Everything was great for 2 months (checked CC, pH) regularly with cheap HD pool test kit (mistake #1)
Was using pucks to keep Cl levels up, but kept finding pH was low (7.2), so kept using pH up to try and get it up to 7.6. Over 2 months probably put in 6 lbs of pH up. Alkalinity was measuring 180ppm. Then read pucks drop pH...ugh...

Pool started to get cloudy, and then we had alge. I had never shocked the pool up to this point. Just used pucks to make sure Cl (TC) was above 3ppm. (1 bag of shock did not do it. So then went to liquid chlorine (12.5%). After 4 gal of shock, the pool is finally blue. The water is still cloudy, but it is getting better day by day (running pump 24/7). Ordered CYA turbidity kit and better FC, CC kit. Also added some dry acid during shocking as the ph went up to 8...per the advice of the pool store. :rolleyes: Mistake...again.

Pool store also suggested I add some DE to my sand filter...so read up on that and did that. 48hr after shocking, and once pool was blue, I added clarifyer. Pool is getting clearer, and I am adding aeration to try and get the pH up without adding any more pH up.

As of this AM, this is where my water chemistry is at:

pH - 7.2
FC - over 5ppm
TC - over 5ppm
CC - assuming close to zero..water smells fine..no strong Cl/pool smell, but there is no difference between TC and FC measurements.
TA - 160ppm
CYA - 100

It's hard for me to believe that i have so much CYA only after 2 months of having the pool, and just using pucks.

Other than dumping lots of water, any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Doug

That is exactly why we dont trust poolstore testing. You said you filled with spring water, i would definetly drain and refill at least 90%. Leave a foot of water so the liner does not move. Starting fresh is always best.

I don't see any reason to drain 90%. A 50% drain will drop your CYA to 50 ppm, which is easily manageable in a pool that size.

Just remember, no more pucks. Only use liquid chlorine from now on.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok. Thanks all. For winterizing I plan to leave the pool up. I will drain it a few inches below the outlets to the pump, and since we don’t have a lot of trees, I don’t plan to cover it. In the spring will add fresh water so I figure that will help my CYA levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.