New 1.5HP 2-speed pump not working with Hayward Aqualogic P4 but works on its own, really need help

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hopefully you guys can help me with this, bad start to my pool season.

My Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump died on me, it was integrated with my Aqualogic so that it could control the high and low speed.

I replaced it with a 1.5HP 2-speed but it is not behaving properly.

It will start at high speed when I’m priming my pump, and then it drops to low speed on its own and then it shuts off and I can’t get it to turn back on unless I flip the breaker in my Aqualogic control panel that controls the pump.

The pump became hot too touch quickly, the seller of the pump is convinced it’s related to the Aqualogic config, and the seller is able to show me that in his config he is able to run it at high and low speed without any issue.

I feel he may be right because when the pump starts initially and I try to switch it to low speed, I get a warning that I need to wait 2mins to switch speeds, something that I never saw on my old pump.

Ive attached pictures of how my old pump was wired, how the new one is wired, and how it is wired in the control panel.

A video showing how it starts at high speed, switches on its own to Low speed, and then switches off

I would really appreciate any help I can get on this. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9482.jpeg
    IMG_9482.jpeg
    561.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9513.jpeg
    IMG_9513.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9498.jpeg
    IMG_9498.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9490.jpeg
    IMG_9490.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 17
What model is your new pump?

Post pics of the motor data plate of your old and new pumps.

What model is your new pump?

Post pics of the motor data plate of your old and new pumps.
Hi, new pump model is SP2610X15A.

Pictures of both labels attached, with the old rusty one being the old one and the nice one the new one.

Thanks for assisting.

Attachments

• IMG_9515.jpeg
    IMG_9515.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9477.jpeg
    IMG_9477.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 72
the digital settings wouldn’t have changed from wiring the pump unless you changed them. The diagrams look slightly different the hi/lo look to be switched. I would pull leads and test for 240v depending what you have on you should get 240v either on hi/com or lo/com. Com is one leg at all times and hi/lo is the other leg but never at the same time. Can you post a better pic of the panel wiring it’s difficult to see where the wires are going.

Made in April 1997.

How is this new?

It is 26 years old.

“Plant-Month-Year” code sequence. So “7D97” means it was manufactured at plant number 7, on April (A = January, B = February, etc.), 1997.

1683230432890.png

These vents should not be pointing up because then water can get in the motor.

It suggests that the motor was installed incorrectly.

img_9477-jpeg.488478

the digital settings wouldn’t have changed from wiring the pump unless you changed them. The diagrams look slightly different the hi/lo look to be switched. I would pull leads and test for 240v depending what you have on you should get 240v either on hi/com or lo/com. Com is one leg at all times and hi/lo is the other leg but never at the same time. Can you post a better pic of the panel wiring it’s difficult to see where the wires are going.
Sure thing, control panel pic attached, the color of the arrows represent the color of the wires from the new pump.

I had spoken to a gentlemen that repairs Hayward boards, he seems convinced that the red/black wire is reversed but he couldn’t explain why, just said it was complicated to explain, I haven’t been able to try it out again because I returned the pump to the seller to look at and it worked perfectly at his place but of course he isn’t wiring it to an Aqualogic.

Do you also see this as a reversed wire issue with the red/black?

I should mention to ignore the label on the new pump, it was rebuilt and doesn’t match the model of a Hayward 1.5HP 2-speed
Sure thing, pic attached. The color of the arrows represents the color of the pump wires. I should also mention that I brought it back to the seller and it works perfect but he’s not wiring it to an Aqualogic.

Also I spoke to a local gentlemen who repairs Aqualogics and he’s convinced my red/black wire connected to the pump are reversed, but he said it was complicated to explain why, what do you think? I can’t try it because I have to re pick up the pump from the seller and it’s a 1 hour drive each way so I really want to identify the issue first with certainty.

The new pump is rebuilt so the label doesn’t match, the model # of the pump is SP2610X15A.

I should also mention that the pump doesn’t have an external switch for 2-speed and Hayward support mentioned the wiring would be different with/without the switch.

I hope this info helps, I really appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_9498.jpeg
    IMG_9498.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 6
Made in April 1997.

How is this new?

It is 26 years old.

“Plant-Month-Year” code sequence. So “7D97” means it was manufactured at plant number 7, on April (A = January, B = February, etc.), 1997.

View attachment 488605
I should have mentioned it’s a rebuilt pump and the label doesn’t match the model, it’s a SP2610X15A.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the diagrams on the back of each motor the hi lo seem to be swapped.
Can you post a pic of the wiring without the arrows? It’s hard to see the wiring. Before replacing the motor you didn’t have a similar problems? Something is causing the pump to overheat.
Sure thing, here is without the arrows and thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9497.jpeg
    IMG_9497.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 8
274ED7BA-D12B-428A-A0AE-37AAD41DE344.jpeg
According to aqua logic diagram
Black is common
White is low speed
Red is high speed
You should confirm by pulling leads and testing for 240v with multimeter for each low speed and high speed as one leg and common as the other. The settings in aqua logic need to be set for a dual speed. You don’t want FP relay and aux2 turning at the same time. You should test this to make sure. Once you have confirmed hook up the pump according to its diagram.

Update:

The seller ended up repairing my original Hayward 2-speed pump 1HP, because of all the issues he would have let me take the 1.5HP 2-speed back but it would have been final sale so I opted for my prior pump which I knew worked before.

Unfortunately I’m having similar issues, this time the pump will only operator on low speed (press filter button twice).

I’m wondering if at this point since I have similar issues, it could be my Aqualogic or programming that changed for some reason.

Another strange thing that I never saw before is that sometimes when switching between the high that doesn’t work and the low speed, it will give me a 2min countdown for low speed to work, I definitely never saw that in all my years of using the system and it doesn’t happen each time.

Here is the programming I’m using

Chlorinator Enabled, Cell Type T-CELL-15
Heater 1 enabled
Pool / Spa Setup - Set to Pool Only
V1=Aux1, V2=Aux2 = Emabled
Filter Pump=2-speed
Filter Flow Monitor Enabled
Filter Freeze protect disabled
Aux1 Function = manual on/off
Aux1 Relay = Standard
Aux1 interlock=disabled
Aux1 freeze disabled
Aux2 function = Filter Low Speed
Valve 3 / 4 function = manual on/off
Valve 3 / 4 Interlock=disabled
Valve 3 / 4 freeze=disabled

I attached a photo of the wiring before the repair, after the repair, and the countdown message I never saw before.

I have played with these settings many times over the years but maybe another pair of eyes will be able to point out the obvious.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9536.jpeg
    IMG_9536.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9534.jpeg
    IMG_9534.jpeg
    551.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9537.jpeg
    IMG_9537.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 1
Do you have a multimeter?
3540678B-ED1A-4E01-97B5-97B5E9F0FE52.jpeg7D9EAEC8-EB64-4B20-A93F-5E063AC1AA26.jpeg
You need to check the load of the relays for FP and for aux2. You only want 240v on one or the other. If you have a stuck relay it could damage the pump. The cooldown seems normal. FP relay is for high speed aux2 for low speed.

63F10AB8-9938-4669-A362-F925D583F315.jpeg
Test here with a multimeter. If high speed is on you should get 240v on FP relay and nothing on aux2. If low speed is on you should get 240v on aux2 relay and nothing on FP relay. Only do this if you are confident and comfortable around high voltage. Otherwise call an electrician.

Last edited:
Do you have a multimeter?
View attachment 489405View attachment 489406
You need to check the load of the relays for FP and for aux2. You only want 240v on one or the other. If you have a stuck relay it could damage the pump. The cooldown seems normal. FP relay is for high speed aux2 for low speed.
I ended up a super nice local guy that repairs Aqualogic boards video chat me, we didn’t use a multimeter but he had me verify that the little black tab on the bottom of the Aux2 (low speed) relay is not sticking out so based on the behaviour he assumes it is dead and that it probably lead to my high speed one being damaged too.

He was also cool enough to give me the relay part #s which were literally 10x cheaper than ordering from Hayward or anywhere selling Hayward relay.

It seems simple enough that I can change, I’ll post an update asap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.