Neverending algae stains along bottom of walls

They wont let you return it. Ask me how I know.

Also if you want to go down the phosphate rabbit hole, there are much better products to use. That perfect weekly stuff is highly diluted.

And now most importantly ONLY GO TO THE POOL STORE TO BUY CHLORINE!!!!!!

If you want to treat for phosphates buy a phosphate test kit, and buy real phosphate chemicals.

Reactions: nabril15
They wont let you return it. Ask me how I know.
And now most importantly ONLY GO TO THE POOL STORE TO BUY CHLORINE!!!!!!
Kato
My wife took rhe bottle to the store, and since it comes sealed, they refunded it - a small victory.

Your second point is duly noted; I knew that, but I caved in at the register, like a fool.

What can I do about my never-ending algae spots at the bottom and middle of walls?
My pump runs for 16 hours, and I try to maintain my fc at the higher range for my cya (I aim for +2 or 3 ppm above).

Get a bamboo bbq skewer or a golf tee or some skinny wooden stick. See if you can pick at the spots and if they come off. Trying to determine if it is black algae.

Get a bamboo bbq skewer or a golf tee or some skinny wooden stick. See if you can pick at the spots and if they come off. Trying to determine if it is black algae.
It's green algae that I can brush off if I get in and scrub with a brush face to face. Or if I scrub them with a puck. However, they return 2 days later.
I'm going to try this:
1. Run the pump overnight for 2 or 3 days at a low speed for a total of 24 hours - 4 ar high speed and the rest at a low speed.
2. I'll do an oclt tomorrow.

Dont bother with the OCLT yet. Get your pool to SLAM level and keep it there for at least 3 days. You have not cleared all the algae from your pool. The most common mistake around here is ending a SLAM too soon.

Also go back and check and scrub your light niches and skimmers and weir doors again.

Then do two OCLT. If you pass two in a row, keep your SLAM for one more day.

Now this part is REALLY IMPORTANT. The recommended level is now your new minimum (ignore the minimum level completely). If your CYA is 40 then 6FC is your new minimum, and your recommended is 8. NEVER let you FC drop below 6.

Let’s see how that works for you.

+1 nabril. The recommended levels are just a guide for most. If your pool is overcoming them due to poor circulation or other circumstances, then target range isn’t cutting it for you. If it was, nothing could grow. And for 99.99% percent of properly treated pools, that’s enough. You pool is telling you that you need more FC and you can’t argue with the pool that you’re right and it should listen to you.

So you need some more FC and more frequent brushing to stay on top of it. (y)

once you are covered with extra FC to buy some time, go on a full algae treasure hunt. Scour for anywhere it’s hiding in plain sight. Ladder rails, light niches, water features that rarely get used, etc. something very well may be constantly re-introducing algae and it takes a foot hold in your corners first. If, let’s say you find the light niche to be all nasty, then we can try regular FC levels after to see how it goes, but the FC has to be up in the meantime so you don’t get behind the 8 ball.

thank you @Katodude and @Newdude
I really appreciate your points.
I have come to live with the fact that the recommended FC minimum does not work for my pool, so I've always had to stay at an FC of +2 or 3 above. It looks like I will have to go to +4 or +5 to adapt to what's happening. As Newdude says why argue with the pool.

I did a slam in mid-June, but my battle continues with those spots. I don't have ladders, and I clean out the light niche frequently. But, I obviously don't want to be slamming every month or so.
I take solace in seeing the water crystal clear, but those corner stains are bothersome.

I have both liquid chlorine and powdered calhypo. Is that dumb of me, seeing how liquid prices have gone up $1.5 or so? I use both, but I can't let go of the ease of adding X ounces of liquid versus scoops of powder. I know that this is a preference-type of question, but I feel silly buying both.

but I feel silly buying both.
For those that have access to it, we use liquid only as the Cal part of the Cal-hypo creates new problems for folks, especially with all the plaster pools in high Calcium areas. If you have the wiggle room it’s fine to use if you keep tabs on your levels. :)

It looks like I will have to go to +4 or +5 to adapt to what's happening. As Newdude says why argue with the pool
If it makes you feel any better, I target +5 just because. Yes I’m extra. Yes it’s ‘wastes’ some chlorine or equivalent small amount of SWG life.
But no I’m not sorry about it. Pool maintaining was a non event for me. Just lalalalalalalala *anything* but ever being concerned about algae. Oh……. You wanna try algae ? Well…. You can try. Lalalalalala.

If I told most people that for $50 (? ) a season in wasted chlorine they would never have to think about green or cloudy, they would have dug it out of their pocket before I finished my sentence.

The one thing you can get from Leslies pretty cheap is the refillable jugs of LC. That is pretty much all I use them for. It is always very fresh and strong. I get 5 gallons for about $10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The one thing you can get from Leslies pretty cheap is the refillable jugs of LC. That is pretty much all I use them for. It is always very fresh and strong. I get 5 gallons for about $10.
Yup, that's why I go in there. And to return the Perfect Weekly that I bought...
DOwn here, each jug climbed up to $6.40 or so per jug. And do you think that it will come down??
Nope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.