Never thought I'd ever have to worry but I need outdoor security cameras!

I have this Night Owl system with 5 cameras connected covering every nook and cranny outside of our house. Mine is a wired system, but they do have wireless systems available. Everything is accessible through the phone using their app. I also have it wired to one of the TV's in our house and I love that, when I switch to that input on my TV I feel like I'm a detective working a surveillance mission in the back of a van!

I do not have a subscription and I am not sure whether they offer a subscription model but if they do I haven't found a reason to have it. The DVR stores "motion" events for a period of time, but I haven't taken the time to go back and see how long that period is. You can download the motion events directly to your phone to save them.

I like PTZ cams (pan, tilt, zoom). They're more expensive, of course, but much more useful to me. I can look around and zoom in, and that's their primary purpose, more so than a security deterrent. I can observe my pool and my pad. I can check that my stove is off, and that my doors are locked. I can see when kids or guests are up in the morning. And check my porch for packages. It really is a great convenience appliance. If it happens to also encourage ne'er-do-wells to choose some other house, that's a bonus.

I have this Night Owl system with 5 cameras connected covering every nook and cranny outside of our house. Mine is a wired system, but they do have wireless systems available. Everything is accessible through the phone using their app. I also have it wired to one of the TV's in our house and I love that, when I switch to that input on my TV I feel like I'm a detective working a surveillance mission in the back of a van!

I do not have a subscription and I am not sure whether they offer a subscription model but if they do I haven't found a reason to have it. The DVR stores "motion" events for a period of time, but I haven't taken the time to go back and see how long that period is. You can download the motion events directly to your phone to save them.

Other than 2 spots with electric all other devices have to be either battery power or I'm going to have to run cables and or electric to any area we want to put a camera. Since my wife is extremely upset about this I will follow her lead on how she wants to go forward. Telling her about the size of the Ring camera and light combo had her concerned about the looks of having 3 big devices hanging on our house. Reading up on NJ security camera laws and living in a rather dense neighborhood means I can't just stick cameras anywhere and have them pointing everywhere.

Reading up on NJ security camera laws
I don't even know if my city/state has any. Can there be any? You can video anything in public (as far as I know).

I've had conversations with my surrounding neighbors about bringing about my "security fantasy." Three of the eight of us are covered with cams. Another or two want their own systems. One has a fake cam in front of his house. I want all of us to "cam up," and then I want to put up some sort of sign at each end of our block, or one on each house, alerting others to the presence of all the cams, as in: if you step foot into our block, we're going to know about it.

We have had "incidents" in our neighborhood. The most recent was a catalytic converter theft. Another was a break-in foiled by indoor cams that alerted the neighbor (who was away at the time) that someone was in his house. He called the cops and they caught one of them "on the job." That got everyone riled up. So while paranoid, my fantasy is somewhat justified. Again, I'm not thinking we're going to be catching crooks (though that can work), I just want anyone casing local neighborhoods to pick some other one.

I don't even know if my city/state has any. Can there be any? You can video anything in public (as far as I know).

The key issue to not trip over is the wiretapping laws in your state. Some states are one party consents and as long as one party in the conversation is aware audio is being recorded then it is legal. Other states are all party consents and everyone being recorded must consent.

Cameras that do not record audio prevent, even accidentally, violating the wiretapping laws of your state.

@Dirk I read the website that @ajw22 listed and there's a mention that I couldn't have my camera facing toward a neighbor's back yard. I would want to cover as many angles as possible because it is possible that someone late at night could come from a neighbor's yard. It seem sweeping across a front yard is OK but back yards are considered private in NJ per that article. The other problem a least for the Ring and other devices similar is they do record audio so that is also a problem. I guess a sign that says video and audio surveillance being done may be permissible, if there is a sign like that.

Do you want deterrence or prosecution?

If you want deterrence then lights around the property and dummy cameras that are very visible should let the perps think they are being recorded. No power needed for dummy cameras to be visible.

If you want prosecution then you need cameras with enough pixels and properly positioned to get useful face pics of the perps. You also want cameras monitoring the street that can identify any vehicles they use.
Bingo, if they are throwing eggs from a fair distance the ring cameras (which are very good) might not pick up the people at night time even with flood lights. I have both Ring and IP cameras that cover my entire perimeter If you go just ring you will need plenty of light to get distinguishable faces at a distance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Dirk I read the website that @ajw22 listed and there's a mention that I couldn't have my camera facing toward a neighbor's back yard. I would want to cover as many angles as possible because it is possible that someone late at night could come from a neighbor's yard. It seem sweeping across a front yard is OK but back yards are considered private in NJ per that article. The other problem a least for the Ring and other devices similar is they do record audio so that is also a problem. I guess a sign that says video and audio surveillance being done may be permissible, if there is a sign like that.
I'm not giving legal advice but I dont think that article is correct. I don't believe NJ has a statute prohibiting your camera on your house also capturing someone elses backyard in plain site. The issue that could come up is if that camera records their conversation and since NJ is a sing person consent and you are not part of those conversations in their backyard as an example that could be a statute violation. However the video itself I'm pretty confident is not. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor am I giving legal advice. You can call your local police department to verify that.

Reactions: Dirk