Never Ending SLAM (Can't get over the hump)

kafox001

Jun 10, 2019
New England
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello - I've been following the TFP methods for the past three years with great success but my pool is giving me a real hard time this year. The year started out great but then we had about a month solid of rain and temp swings (60s to 90s back and forth) and I got a little lax with the chemicals, had some minor algae growth (not a full bloom) so I started to SLAM and have been SLAMing for about three weeks straight now.

I have no more visible algae growth and the pool has cleared up considerably but the water is still not what I would call "clear". Even having a sand filter, I know it can be much clearer than it is now. I do add a small amount of DE to assist the sand.

I found some algae hiding on thermometers (removed those) and on the rubber feet for the ladder (cleaned those) but I wasn't able to find algae hiding anywhere else, so I am kind of at a loss at this point. Any other tips or things I could be missing?

K-2006 kit
FC - 16
PH - 7.2
TA - 100
CH - 140
CYA - 40

Thanks!

Did you look inside the pipes for the stairs when you removed the rubber bumpers? How about your lights- can you look inside the niche, if there is one? And behind your weir door.

Maddie :flower:

Its for the ladder and no I did not check inside, but will the next time I am in! Will also check the weir door.

We do not have any lights.

Kevinz92702, I wouldn't say your pool was much like Kafox001's much at all. Your pool was abandoned for 2 years and full of gunk. But yes some pools are able to drain and start fresh quicker. But not everyone has the ability to drain so have to work with what they have.

Maddie :flower:

Agreed, I feel like I am on the verge of TFP clear and can figure it out with some diligence. Town water is pretty expensive here so draining that much water and filling from the tap would be expensive.

Side question, in addition to the ladder, I do have drop in stairs. I don't think taking them out is an option for various reasons. I looked underneath last time I was in and didn't see any algae, but is it possible it's hiding inside the water chambers of the stairs?

but is it possible it's hiding inside the water chambers of the stairs?
It absolutely is possible. Stairs are notorious for holding stagnant water. On the plus side, while taking out is an ordeal, they usually float to the center of the pool rather easily where you can flip them around for easy access to scrub it all. The back and bottom are real easy when you rotate them to be the top. You also want any water in them exchanged, so do your best swishing.

got it - will see about unbolting them and giving them a good swishing/scrubbing as well as checking inside the ladder pipes.

I did, however, pass an OCLT this morning, but the water is still not as clear as I know it can be.

Reactions: Newdude
did, however, pass an OCLT this morning, but the water is still not as clear as I know it can be.
More often than not it becomes a wait for the filter to do its thing. You keep the FC up as a precautionary matter, and then practice POP (pool owner patience). It’s much easier to keep the FC up now with little/no algae consuming it.

Stay the course. You’re doing great !!

Took out the ladder and cleaned it best I could. Hosed down the inside of the pipes and scrubbed as far as I could reach in. Put them back in so I could try to flush out the the plastic rungs. Some algae did come out so I think I'll try to squirt some bleach inside.

Unbolted the stairs and flipped them around in the water a few times to try to flush out the steps. No algae came out and there was no algae on the bottom or back side of the steps. Scrubbed them anyways and will try to squirt bleach inside here as well.

Removed the weir door and there is some algae on the foam. Will bleach this as well.

Does that about cover it? Doing another OCLT tonight.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does that about cover it
It's not so much about finding Alage as it is displacing the old water with new water. Of course if you find algae, clean it, but your mission was to change the water. And it sure sounds successful from your explanation (y)

Did not pass OCLT last night - most likely due to all the junk I stirred up from the stairs/ladder. What are your thoughts on the clarity? I know its not super easy to tell from a picture and don't mind the super faded liner - its old. This is this morning before the sun was directly on the pool.
IMG_20210727_074659.jpg

Other questions for once I get back to normal operation:
1. I am having a heck of a time with the PH this year as well. No matter what I do, no matter how much liquid chlorine is added, no matter how much I aerate, the PH is always low. TA had crept up slowly over the season. I've never had an issue with high PH (never once had to use MA) but this year it seems super low. Haven't been adding any acid except CYA but that was early in the season. Could all the rain we have been getting this year have something to do with it? I suppose I should wait and see what PH is once I am done slamming before I do anything about it.
2. Do the effects of adding DE to a sand filter persist after the pump turns off and then turns back on? I have noticed that the pressure creeps up a bit (but not enough to backwash) and then when the pump turns off for the night and then turns back on the next day, the pressure is back to "clean" psi. Curious if maybe the DE settles when the pump is off and is no longer coating the sand?

What are your thoughts on the clarity?
It’s improved a bunch but not quite there. You’ll know it when you see it go almost invisible, or completely invisible.
I suppose I should wait and see what PH is once I am done slamming before I do anything about it.
Good plan. We may need to raise the TA to help keep the PH up. Every pool is different and that’s why there are overall ranges and not specific #s. Sometimes we have to dial somebody in a little further.
2. Do the effects of adding DE to a sand filter persist after the pump turns off and then turns back on?
That’s a great question but my sand/DE experience is none. I understand them but am far from a pro Hang tight for thoughts. I’m in to learn with you. :)

Reactions: kafox001
What the DE does in a sand filter is just closing up the tiny gaps in between the sand thereby holding back more dirt and causing the psi to rise some. When the pump shuts off it relaxes the tightness off the DE between the sand. When you start up the pump it'll act normal for a bit but then revert back to the higher psi when the DE gets drawn back tightly in to the sand and is compounded with the extra fine dirt it's holding back.

Got it! I will have to pay closer attention next time once I get my pump back on a schedule.

One more question - I feel like my solar cover may be doing more harm than good for my pool. We got it for a few reasons, to help keep the heat in at night/slow evaporation and to try to keep debris out of out pool (we get a lot). It certainly helps keep the pool warm but does not excel at keeping debris out. Sure, it doesn't allow debris to fall directly into the pool and I do try to brush any debris to the skimmer before I take the cover off but whatever is left just falls right in as soon as the cover is out of the water. I try to skim it but can never get it all. I've also noticed the water always has a slight haze/cloudiness whenever the cover comes off, no matter how long its been on. Is this expected? Anything I can do to improve this or should I just stop using the solar cover for the sake of my water clarity?

I've also noticed the water always has a slight haze/cloudiness whenever the cover comes off, no matter how long its been on. Is this expected?
Yes. No matter what you try, there will be stagnant water / small puddles on the cover which falls into the pool as you get the last bit of cover off. My heart sank everytime my perfect water clouded up. But if you are properly tested it only lasts a minute. That was a SAD minute tho. Lol.

with regards to skimming the cover, I’d use the pool brush on mine to sweep the bulk of it to one corner and scoop it off by hand. You can’t get every last bit, But whatever you do get would have fallen in the pool with no cover so even if it’s only half, You still benefited. But again, it’s hard to see it go in.

I did a deep clean before last season (may 2020). You think it would need it again so soon? Maybe I should try removing the sand to see if any laterals are broken since it is an old filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.