Spring, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Trying to help my neighbors out with their SLAM on their new pool.

I tested their water using my tf test kit. Their levels are as follows;”:

FC 0 - their chlorine feeder was empty and they did not have any liquid chlorine

CC 0.5

AK 250

CH 125

PH was off the charts and above the 8 mark for sure, but it being so high I don’t know what level. Just way above 8

CYA 40

Per SLAM instructions, is it correct that we need to get PH between 7.2 to 7.5 first or can he go straight to chlorine to get the algae under control and then worry about PH later?

He is going to store to buy a bunch of liquid chlorine to start slam. I told him we need to get it to SLAM level and then he needs to add 5ppm per day until his kit comes in. I’m heading out of town tomorrow so won’t be in town to help him test it. So I told him to add 5ppm per day and brush like crazy, leaving pump running, until his kit comes in.

They plan to use the TF method with liquid chlorine and I was talking to him about salt as well.

Plaster pool?

How new is the new pool?
Per SLAM instructions, is it correct that we need to get PH between 7.2 to 7.5 first or can he go straight to chlorine to get the algae under control and then worry about PH later

He should get the pH lowered. The chlorine is much more effective at low pH.

He should wait to get his test kit in.

Lower pH by 0.3 at a time, test after 30 minutes, and repeat until you get a pH reading in the 7's.

Water is a slight shade of green
Lower pH and raise FC to half SLAM level. Around 8 and give the water some time.

High FC on new plaster can bleach the color from the plaster.

I would rather not SLAM new plaster for 2 to 3 months.

What color is the pool?

Reactions: jdlangley1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would take it slowly before you throw a SLAM on that plaster.

Lower the pH and raise the FC.

Maintain a half SLAM FC level for a few days then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. The amount of FC loss on the OCLT will give you an idea of how much algae is there.

As long as the water is clear and you can see the deep end I would rather have a pool with a bit of algae in it for a month or two then fade the blue plaster.

Thank you all.

I’ve always followed TF method and fortunately have never had to slam so this was uncharted territory for me.

In your area the water may have some iron in it. High pH will oxidize the iron. Have them put some paper towels in the skimmer basket. If they turn red, there is iron.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.