Neighbor's Intex Pump is Suddenly Loud

Tinaja

Jul 15, 2013
Neighbors put in an above ground pool. Other than draining it into my yard, no problem. (They stopped.) Last week their pump, which is only inches from my fence, suddenly got loud. I mentioned it to them and they said they noticed, but they did nothing. They are running it 24x7 and they don't hear it since it is in the far corner of their yard. I don't think they plan to do anything about it. My question is, will this pump just wear out and they will have to replace it, or do I have to deal with this for the rest of the life of the pool? I am just wondering how I can block the noise. It's unsettling to try to enjoy our property and hearing that loud noise at any time of day. It's much louder than ours.

We live in a city with an ordinance that has a very high tolerance for noise, so I can't do anything other than mention it to the neighbors.

Thanks.

Sorry you're going through this. If it's screeching or whining, it's probably bearings going bad. It's hard to say how long it will take them to lock up completely. Somewhere between hours and weeks. You might mention to them that if they get the pump fixed before that happens, it's likely to be cheaper. Many TFPers change bearings themselves routinely.

Even if it's not bearings, a loud, consistent noise is unlikely to end well for them.

I too would suggest you walk over there with a plate full of homemade cookies (ok, that’s optional) and let them know that the pump is loud and that you just noticed the change in it. Perhaps since it’s so far away from them that they just don’t know. And if you tell them that it was previously much quieter then perhaps they may get motivated to fix it

Well, as of today it is off. Maybe the pump burned out or it's just a tripped gfci. I also peeked at the pool and it is murky. I think they are learning the joys of new pool ownership.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.