Neglected pool

Nov 3, 2017
Katy, Tx
My pool is gorgeous thanks to TFP. The problem is my in-laws 18k Fiberglas with fresh sand filter but using pucks only. Here are the numbers using tf-100.
FC-3.5
CC-0
PH-2.5 (yellow only with k1000, digital meter reads 2.5)
TA-0 (I’m guessing, sample turns bright red after adding R-0007 & R-0008)
CH-175
Cya-over 100
Water is cloudy, but not green. No visible algae. Are these PH and TA tests correct? Would that cause cloudiness? How quickly should I add soda ash? I’m thinking I need to balance the water, get them off trichlor pucks, and lower Cya ASAP. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!
They have vinegar. TA is most likely negative.
Use soda ash. Use pH of 6.8 and TA of 0 in Poolmath. Target pH of 7.4. Do in small amounts and test.

You will need to drain to lower CYA. But if they have a heater, it is being destroyed.

Welcome to the forum!
They have vinegar. TA is most likely negative.
Use soda ash. Use pH of 6.8 and TA of 0 in Poolmath. Target pH of 7.4. Do in small amounts and test.

You will need to drain to lower CYA. But if they have a heater, it is being destroyed.
Thanks, because of TFP and this forum I’ve stayed on top of my own pool. It’s actually been very easy to care for, but I test so often my numbers are never far off. After testing this pool I was not sure where to begin to get the results needed.

If they are going to follow your recommendations, do a 50/50 dilution of the CYA test so we have a good estimate of how much you should drain. The pucks need to go away. They are driving pH down and CYA up, resulting in a highly unpleasant pool! Once the CYA is in range we can look at everything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.