cecilsaurus

Mar 23, 2022
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning everyone. I’m hoping a few minds might assist me with some issues I’m having with a new pool build, specifically regarding a negative edge that spills into a catch basin. It’s a freeform pool that is approximately 865 sqft that ranges in depth 3.5 ft to 8 ft. It has an elevated spa with 8 jets and 2 drains and 1 return that spills over to the main pool with 2 skimmers, 2 floor main drains (and I believe 2 side wall drains?) with 10 returns and 3 waterfeature waterfalls. The main pool has a spillover to a catch basin located in a sunk fire pit adjacent to the pool that includes 2 drains, an autofill jet and overflow drain located at the top that empties into a sump pump pit that drains to the back yard. Plumbing includes schedule 40 pvc solvent welded and Pentair 2” x 2.5” neverlube valves. There are separate lines for the skimmers and main drains. Right now, the main pool and spa are powered by a Pentair Intelliflo VSF, and the waterfeatures by a Pentair SuperFlo VST. Other equipment includes a Pentair 520 sqft filter, Pentair master temp 400k propane heater converted for natural gas, a jandy spa blower and Pentair booster pump for cleaning.

Now to the issue. Originally the catch basin drains were connected to the main pool pump. We were having issues with basin overflow happening (overflow getting pumped into the back yard) when the pool pump was on that was exacerbated by using the water features. The PB said it was likely due to the drains not having enough suction in the catch basin to keep up with the water flow coming over the spillover so he switched the basin drains to the water feature pump. This didn’t make sense to me as when the pool pump is on, its sending water over the spillover, but the basin drains wouldn’t function when the waterfeatures are not on. But he insisted and we tried it but sure enough, when both the pool pump and waterfeature pumps are on, the water feature pump is so strong it empties the basin before the spillover can make up the volume and shuts the motor off. With the waterfeature pump off and the pool pump still on, now the autofill and spillover volumes kick in and rise the basin levels quickly to the overflow again kicking water into my back yard. I pointed all of this out to the PB and he is going to work with the plumber to try and come up with a solution.

After reading a bit on this forum, I believe there are a couple of things at play here. The first and probably most important is I believe the catch basin is too small. The second is I understand the basin should probably have its own pump and electronic Water Leveling Monitor. Does this sound right? What do you think the mitigating strategy options are? The most challenging will be to change the basin size, are their other options if I have to live with the current basin size? Many thanks for reading and putting your collective minds together, much appreciated!

Rough dimensions of the catch basin:

21” W, 92” L, 43” H (to the overflow) = 48.0764 ft³ ~359 gallons

The spillover length is approximately 92” long

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 55
  • Pool 4.jpg
    Pool 4.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 56
This is a very common problem with vanishing edge pools, it’s the volume of water that’s expected that dictates the size of the catch basin. There are so many factors that come into play and it looks like your pool has many of them. Curious to see the builders calculations on how he came to that size basin.

This is a very common problem with vanishing edge pools, it’s the volume of water that’s expected that dictates the size of the catch basin. There are so many factors that come into play and it looks like your pool has many of them. Curious to see the builders calculations on how he came to that size basin.
Thanks. He and the plumber are going to walk me through their calculations on Saturday so I should have a better idea of why they planned the layout they did.

These articles may help you understand your problem and what the solutions are. Unfortunately all the fixes affect the design you already built.

Vanishing Edges 101

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Vanishing-Edge Pool Construction

Thank you. These are some great articles, I recognize a few that I read prior to posting. I guess I'm wondering if technology can compensate for some of the design limitations. Like if i have a certain type of pump configured with level sensors can I compensate for having an apparently undersized basin?

Like if i have a certain type of pump configured with level sensors can I compensate for having an apparently undersized basin?

You are describing a custom water management control system with algorithms customized to your situation. Nothing like that is commercially off the shelf.

Most people would try to get the proper design to make such a control system unnecessary.

You are describing a custom water management control system with algorithms customized to your situation. Nothing like that is commercially off the shelf.

Most people would try to get the proper design to make such a control system unnecessary.
Thx. So proper design is a bigger basin, right? That's going to be a difficult conversation with the PB. I'll have it if I need to but wanted to exhaust my options before going there.

The articles describe how the components of the pool must be properly matched between the basin size, basin suction, water flow over the edge, and volume of water in transit. And how that changes with pump speed and people in the pool and water features on or off.

Water features add more variability and range to the volume of water that the edge flow and basin need to handle.

I’ve seen this problem before. The fixes haven’t been the most ideal. But the ones I’ve come across are mainly just food for thought. In one case they eliminated the zero edge and re coped and tiled it, making the basin into its own water feature(sheer descent). Another was a champagne spa that has a basin of 6inches from there it drains into a underground tank which gets pumped back into spa(designed this way). Most edit* “little giant”submersible pumps come with a float that will turn it on and off depending on water level. I hope this helps. The solution doesn’t look to be an easy one.

Last edited:
I’ve seen this problem before. The fixes haven’t been the most ideal. But the ones I’ve come across are mainly just food for thought. In one case they eliminated the zero edge and re coped and tiled it, making the basin into its own water feature(sheer descent). Another was a champagne spa that has a basin of 6inches from there it drains into a underground tank which gets pumped back into spa(designed this way). Most mighty max submersible pumps come with a float that will turn it on and off depending on water level. I hope this helps. The solution doesn’t look to be an easy one.
Thank you! Great suggestions, I'll add them to the list. Mighty max is intriguing, I haven't heard of them before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.