Need Warmth for Plaster/Pebble (DFW TX)

JBear

May 1, 2021
Argyle, TX
We've had a great experience with our builder and had we not taken a 3 week delay that was our decision while we debated adding an outdoor kitchen (we did it!) we most likely would be done with our build. But alas, we are complete (including sprinkler and sod replacement) - and now just waiting on pebble to be scheduled once the temps remain above freezing. So, please send your warm weather vibes out to Argyle TX!!

now just waiting on pebble to be scheduled once the temps remain above freezing.

Temperatures below freezing are a serious problem for applying pool plaster, and even temps around 40 are somewhat problematic. There are additives that can help the plaster cure at colder temperatures, but they tend to have a significant impact on the long term lifetime of the plaster. These issues can be avoided by enclosing the pool in a tent or enclosure of some kind and heating the whole area for several days during and after plaster is applied, though you hardly ever see this done.

JB,

I made a terrible mistake and had a pool replastered when it was cold, but not near freezing.

They used propane blow-touches to help the plaster set. At the time I thought this was normal, but I was dead wrong!!

A couple of years later the new plaster started to fall apart...

Sigh!!

Jim R.

Last edited:
Appreciate the updates - and Jim, sorry to hear of that experience. Thankfully, we've had such a great experience thus far that we are in no rush. I trust our builder will wait until we have consistently warmer temps and while the current 10 day forecast doesn't look good - we wouldn't be out swimming now anyways - and a few extra weeks of interest on my savings before I write the final payment doesnt hurt either - LOL

Reactions: Jimrahbe
We've had a great experience with our builder and had we not taken a 3 week delay that was our decision while we debated adding an outdoor kitchen (we did it!) we most likely would be done with our build. But alas, we are complete (including sprinkler and sod replacement) - and now just waiting on pebble to be scheduled once the temps remain above freezing. So, please send your warm weather vibes out to Argyle TX!!
Argyle?! We share a zip code, Northlake here. Which builder did you go with? We are finalizing.

Reactions: JBear
Yes, they showed up right at 7am and got started. The first surprise was finding an opossum in the pool. Fortunately he was alive! Here is the "after" with acid wash scheduled for tomorrow. Stonescapes aqua blue mini. I'll include one remodeling "before" pic for entertainment.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPEG
    IMG_0654.JPEG
    761.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0659.JPEG
    IMG_0659.JPEG
    777.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0655.JPEG
    IMG_0655.JPEG
    616.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    814.3 KB · Views: 65
Looks great!
Argyle?! We share a zip code, Northlake here. Which builder did you go with? We are finalizing.
Marc, We are in Harvest. Went with Barry from A+ Custom Pools after initially contacting 14 builders. He's been 100% on schedule, very thorough with follow-ups and was onsite almost every day of activity. His was the only quote that actually included full landscape repair of all sprinklers/sod. Additionally, I learned from a prior client that he actually provided a credit on their build at the end since their project was under budget. (And yes, even with some upgrades on ours, we too are currently under budget so my final payment after completion should be better than planned!). I believe he is currently scheduling for late spring starts as he isn't a large company - but if you are able to work with that, I'm sure you'd be pleased. If you would like to see my build in person, message me as I work from home.

Looks great!

Marc, We are in Harvest. Went with Barry from A+ Custom Pools after initially contacting 14 builders. He's been 100% on schedule, very thorough with follow-ups and was onsite almost every day of activity. His was the only quote that actually included full landscape repair of all sprinklers/sod. Additionally, I learned from a prior client that he actually provided a credit on their build at the end since their project was under budget. (And yes, even with some upgrades on ours, we too are currently under budget so my final payment after completion should be better than planned!). I believe he is currently scheduling for late spring starts as he isn't a large company - but if you are able to work with that, I'm sure you'd be pleased. If you would like to see my build in person, message me as I work from home.
Awesome. We are in Stardust just off Robson Ranch. I've gone through 3 bids that was insane and one that was good but the contractor is awol. That makes me nervous. Thanks sir. I'll message you to take a look once it warms.

Reactions: JBear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you post pics of it filled? Ours will be StoneScapes Aqua Blue mini as well, so like to see as many pics as possible.

-Tom
Hey there, here are some pics of my pool now that it's been running about 3 days. These photos were taken at different times on different days to show the changes in sunlight. When we first filled the pool, it had a hint of green. Now that it's running it's a pure blue, which is exactly what we wanted. Aqua Blue Mini Pebble

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    761.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 31
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.