Need to shock, but ALK is still raising PH- should I wait?

Fassel

Jul 9, 2022
Yakima, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CYA was 60; I replaced 1/3 of the water to get it to 40. My PH climbs to 8.0 and ALK is 175 and I've been using muriatic acid to lower it. My FC is 2ppm and CC is .4ppm. 2,000 gallon pool. To shock the pool, using bleach, I need to raise the FC to 16 (per chart), but should I wait until I have the ALK/PH under control? The pool is a bit cloudy. I have MSP on hand, if that mean anything to anyone.

My CYA was 60; I replaced 1/3 of the water to get it to 40. My PH climbs to 8.0 and ALK is 175 and I've been using muriatic acid to lower it. My FC is 2ppm and CC is .4ppm. 2,000 gallon pool. To shock the pool, using bleach, I need to raise the FC to 16 (per chart), but should I wait until I have the ALK/PH under control? The pool is a bit cloudy. I have MSP on hand, if that mean anything to anyone.
Hey, Again! We don't shock pools, that wouldn't be nice (LOL). We SLAM. Use these instructions, print them out, read them 3 times! Link-->SLAM Process

I would lower your pH to 7.2...add the right amount of muriatic and keep the pump running (test it to confirm you got to 7.2 about 30 minutes after the addition), then SLAM!

You can work on the TA reduction after the slam...better to clean up that spa with a slam first.

Ignore the MSP. Not sure what that is, can you post a pic of the container and the ingredient list? Maybe you meant MPS?..."MPS" stands for monopersulfate as in the chemical potassium monopersulfate. It is also called non-chlorine shock. It is an oxidizer and by itself is not a disinfectant. It may be used in hot tubs because when combined with silver ions as in the Nature2 system and at hot temperatures the combination can disinfect and has passed EPA tests. It's much more expensive than bleach, but its main advantage in a spa is that it lasts longer than chlorine so if you aren't soaking every day or two you can go a week without having to dose, even if you have an ozonator (with an ozonator, the ozone reacts with chlorine depleting it faster). That is, you dose after your soak, but don't usually need to dose again until after your next soak. With chlorine, you generally have to dose every day or two, especially if you have an ozonator.

Are you treating this as a pool or a spa? Is there a UV system or an ozonator? Got it from your signature. Use liquid chlorine for your slam.

Last edited:
Hey, Again! We don't shock pools, that wouldn't be nice (LOL). We SLAM. Use these instructions, print them out, read them 3 times! Link-->SLAM Process

I would lower your pH to 7.2...add the right amount of muriatic and keep the pump running (test it to confirm you got to 7.2 about 30 minutes after the addition), then SLAM!

You can work on the TA reduction after the slam...better to clean up that spa with a slam first.

Ignore the MSP. Not sure what that is, can you post a pic of the container and the ingredient list? Maybe you meant MPS?..."MPS" stands for monopersulfate as in the chemical potassium monopersulfate. It is also called non-chlorine shock. It is an oxidizer and by itself is not a disinfectant. It may be used in hot tubs because when combined with silver ions as in the Nature2 system and at hot temperatures the combination can disinfect and has passed EPA tests. It's much more expensive than bleach, but its main advantage in a spa is that it lasts longer than chlorine so if you aren't soaking every day or two you can go a week without having to dose, even if you have an ozonator (with an ozonator, the ozone reacts with chlorine depleting it faster). That is, you dose after your soak, but don't usually need to dose again until after your next soak. With chlorine, you generally have to dose every day or two, especially if you have an ozonator.

Are you treating this as a pool or a spa? Is there a UV system or an ozonator? Got it from your signature. Use liquid chlorine for your slam.
yes, thanks. I did read the SLAM article, but it was not clear if the PH should be stable. I will SLAM asap at 7.2 PH. MSP, MPS or PMS? so many acronyms! Yes, it is postassium monopersulfate. I wont be using it. Thanks, once again. PS. I often try to send MS folks over here to get reliable information. MS Facebook I'm sure does not like it, as the moderators are all sales people.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.