Feb 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello.
I have a 13000 gallon indoor inground concrete plaster pool. The previous owner covered the pool with paint. He was cheap in his repairs/maintenance and repainted over a previous paint job. The paint is degrading now and clouding the pool. What is the recommended product for resurfacing, and is there an expected life span on it.
Thank you.

The correct fix is to chipout the old plaster and replaster the pool.

A good plaster job should last 15-20 years if the proper water chemistry is maintained.

Thank you. Just so I understand a little more of what I’m talking about, the structure of the pool is concrete, then the concrete is covered with plaster and then is the plaster covered with a finish (paint?), or is the plaster itself the finish?
Is my understanding of the construction correct?

Well I don't know what you have.

A pool typically has a concrete shell or tank and then a layer of plaster is applied on top of it.

Concrete is not waterproof. Plaster waterproofs the pool shell.

The plaster is the finished surface and there are many different types of plaster finishes to choose from. For example one company is....

1626430671428-png.355575

Thank you for your help.
I take it a simple sandblasting and repainting is not the ideal solution?
Is sandblasting strong enough to remove the plaster, or does it require the use of a jack hammer or other means?
What do you think of tiling the whole pool? Is that comparable in price?
My most difficult task right now seems to be just finding someone to actually do the job.

I take it a simple sandblasting and repainting is not the ideal solution?

In the US environmental regulations has banned pool paint formulas that were used and were long lasting. I don’t know what pool paints you have available in Canada.

Is sandblasting strong enough to remove the plaster, or does it require the use of a jack hammer or other means?

Sand blasting with the right equipment can remove plaster.

What do you think of tiling the whole pool? Is that comparable in price?

Tiling a pool is labor intensive. In the US it is lots more expensive then plaster that can be installed by a crew in a day.
My most difficult task right now seems to be just finding someone to actually do the job.
That has become a common problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.