Need to replace my pool pump & have questions re variable-speed, with DE filter

birdgirl2014

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2014
Charleston, SC
Our Century, two-speed EcoPump needs replacing, and I've read a lot about two-speed pumps not having the power to work well with our DE filter. Several (non-seller) advisors have recommended using a variable speed pump, instead of the two-speed, saying that the slightly higher GPM makes the DE filter work better. (Going from the 1-speed to the two-speed cut our electric bill by $150/month, so I don't want to be less efficient, regarding electricity.) I would love some feedback about the variable-speed pumps working better with the DE filter. A "Speck A91" has been mentioned. Any thoughts?

A DE filter actually works better with a low flow than a higher flow... Whoever is giving you advice has no clue what they are talking about..

A 2-speed pump will work just fine with a DE filter and so will a VS pump. Unless you have a Spa or water features than I suggest a 2-speed pump....

The Spec pumps that I saw were all for above ground pools... :scratch: I have not heard of them before and tend to like Pentair products..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: birdgirl2014

A DE filter actually works better with a low flow than a higher flow... Whoever is giving you advice has no clue what they are talking about..

A 2-speed pump will work just fine with a DE filter and so will a VS pump. Unless you have a Spa or water features than I suggest a 2-speed pump....

The Spec pumps that I saw were all for above ground pools... :scratch: I have not heard of them before and tend to like Pentair products..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you, Jim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.