Need to plug up overflow hole in skimmer box

kstough

Jun 7, 2019
Ozark, AL
Our pool was installed a year ago and we had an overflow drain in the skimmer box. After having the pool for a little while now, we realize that they probably drilled the hole too low.

Our pool water level won’t rise more than just a little over minimum level before it drains out. I would like to temporarily plug it up so that when we don’t need it, it’s plugged up & the water can rise to where it needs to be so we aren’t constantly filling the pool up with a hose. Then when we need to use it because of heavy rain, we can unplug it.

Any ideas on how to do this? In the picture you see a bit of clear tape on the bottom of the hole—that is Flex Tape we used but it’s not really a good idea since it’s not meant to come on and off.

Oh and you’ll see my nemesis in the pic! 🕷

Attachments

• 50769B3A-A602-4E5A-B336-D2C6B9CCC3DA.jpeg
    50769B3A-A602-4E5A-B336-D2C6B9CCC3DA.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 63
I would take a piece of foam like a pool noodle and carve it in the shape to make a plug. Although pool noodle foam may be too soft and not last long. Maybe carve a Magic Eraser block.

Hi, I am having the same issue. I am curious what was your solution, if any. TIA.
I have been cutting up pieces of pool noodles and corking the hole and it’s worked great (and cheap!!). I simply unplug when we have lots of rain. I have to replace the cut piece every month or two but this is the best solution we’ve tried.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.