Need to move my pump for pad replacement

It's screwed in the pump but you'll not get it out without cutting with your setup. If it was me, I'd cut and replace everything including the Jandy valves. You can get a reaming tool, however, that will allow you to ream out the valve fittings. I wouldn't bother for a $100 valve.

It's screwed in the pump but you'll not get it out without cutting with your setup. If it was me, I'd cut and replace everything including the Jandy valves. You can get a reaming tool, however, that will allow you to ream out the valve fittings. I wouldn't bother for a $100 valve.
Thanks! Ate there any unions that are worth putting in such that the pump can be removed in the future without cutting?

Thanks! Ate there any unions that are worth putting in such that the pump can be removed in the future without cutting?

Yes, actual unions! But unless you move your pump farther from the fitting, it is not going to fit, which is probably why it was done the way it was.

Intelliflo pumps are the odd-ball pump. Most pumps have a male threaded piece that comes out of them instead of a female piece like they do. See below it is for Intelliflo.

1669724924851.png

Attachments

• 1669724358008.png
    1669724358008.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi I need to move my pump in order to replace my pad. However the union to the main intake looks to be glued to the T valve (not sure correct name). What’s the best way to do this?View attachment 464000
If you know who did the initial install of the pump, you can give them a virtual slap across the face for doing that. 🤣

Hi I need to move my pump in order to replace my pad. However the union to the main intake looks to be glued to the T valve (not sure correct name). What’s the best way to do this?View attachment 464000
Just to add to what @PoolGate stated. Add a union to both sides of pump.
This is the union I used when I had to do a change out.
Show a wider picture of your equipment pad and maybe we can help you determine where to make cuts.

I have been successful with removing pipe from a 3 way valve or other PVC by using a heat gun. You need to work it carefully using a pliers to twist the PVC as it softens. However, it is easier to just replace equipment if your budget allows that.

Can the pump be moved a bit further away from that Jandy valve?
If so, you can install a coupler over the Jandy valve collar, then a reducer bushing to reduce the pile size back to the original size of the input pipe. You would also need to change a bit of the piping on the output side of the pump.

Still use the unions though.
You can use these high temp unions (appropriately sized for the pump and pipe).

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks guys. I have about 10 inches from the motor to the wall. See pucture. Not super clear from this angle but It looks like I can put a coupler in there. Especially if I can get the pipe it out of the valve end. Then I don’t have to re-plumb the input side and deal with pipe so close to the ground. Does this sound right? The coupler would be right at the pump inlet.

Attachments

• 466EA636-3174-40E0-A5A9-B17DE4FCAB9D.jpeg
    466EA636-3174-40E0-A5A9-B17DE4FCAB9D.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 12
I have about 10 inches from the motor to the wall. See pucture. Not super clear from this angle but It looks like I can put a coupler in there. Especially if I can get the pipe it out of the valve end. Then I don’t have to re-plumb the input side and deal with pipe so close to the ground. Does this sound right? The coupler would be right at the pump inlet.
If you can get the straight pipe out of the 3-way valve, then go as follows
ensure inside of valve connection is clean and not too rough
glue in another straight piece of pipe (6-8 inches)
glue a union half to the other end of pipe above
screw other half of union into pump -
NOTE - ensure you have the union nut on the pipe before you attach the union half
Join the 2 union halves with the union nut

On output side
place another union as done on the inlet side
add other pipe and ells as needed to connect to filter

EDIT - if you elect not to remove the pipe from the 3-way valve - then cut the pipe as close as feasible to the pump, clean the end and attach coupler to that pipe,
add shorter piece of pipe to that coupler
then add union

The goal is to have 10 inches of straight pipe before the pump (that includes unions and coupler) - you appear to have room for that.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.