Need to make a decision on lights, are globrites a bad idea?

ckinchen

Mar 1, 2019
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi! Spent a ton of time with pool builder yesterday and one big decision to make. Was quoted the globrites. Pool builder will put 2 and giving a 3rd for free for a 14x31 rectangle pool, including a 6ft sunshelf. Are the globrites that ones people say break down after a few years? Builder said never heard of issues at all with globrites. Or should I insist on microbrites or something else. Pentair builder. I appreciate the advice as need to sign contract by tomorrow to get discount.
Thanks!!

My PB said same thing but also said MicroBrites cost him about the same and swapped them in since I asked. The Micro are nicheless so if you need to swap it out in the future you can use any light. The Globrites have a proprietary niche so if they discontinue that light and don’t make one that fits the niche it could be a headache.
I think the Globrites might have more lumens so maybe need less of them vs Micro?
Hope that helps.

Reactions: ckinchen
My PB said same thing but also said MicroBrites cost him about the same and swapped them in since I asked. The Micro are nicheless so if you need to swap it out in the future you can use any light. The Globrites have a proprietary niche so if they discontinue that light and don’t make one that fits the niche it could be a headache.
I think the Globrites might have more lumens so maybe need less of them vs Micro?
Hope that helps.
Hi! Yes, that helps. I am supposed to get 3 lights, 2 in pool and 1 in sunshelf. How many globrites were you supposed to get? Did you get the same number of microbrites or did you have to get an extra one? Do you feel it’s enough light and happy with microbrite lights? Sounds like microbrites give less light, but not sure. Thanks!

Are the globrites that ones people say break down after a few years?

So far, all the new LED solutions seem to break after a few years. You'll notice a telling pattern - talk to the pool builders, and they'll tell you "i've never had a complaint", but talk to the owners and they'll tell you "the Dang things all stopped working after 2 seasons!". What made the decision for me was after I got the "i've never had a complaint" line from my pool builder I asked him "so yours have held up fine?"...his reply "oh I don't have the nicheless lights, I have an Astrolite with an LED retrofit bulb". That was all I needed to hear.

Check out this thread... all info you need for how many lights is located in there:

I have globrites in the pool and one in the spa. I have a microbrite on the sunshelf. The only weird issue you may get is the shelf will/can reflect a slightly different hue of color since it's so close to the plaster. Otherwise, they look fine. Going back, I probably would have done all microbrites because of the nicheless feature. Being that these are submerged and subject to intense heat, they will fail at some point and will have to be replaced.

@joepaiii Thank you so much! I forgot about that post and read again just now and great info. I think for my pool I can get away with 3 microbrites and should be fine. Also I am just a little confused, the nicheless is a plus because if the LED light bulb goes bad I can just swap it out with another bulb and it wont be an issue to do. Basically DIY, unscrew bulb and screw in new bulb, correct?

Reactions: joepaiii
The microbrite incorporates a cord. To change it you must unscrew the light and undo the light's cord. Pull the whole thing out and pull a new one in (Microbrite or other of same design). Not hard. Many videos on how to do it. Globrite is the same install but it twists and locks as apposed to screw in. The niche for the globrite is specific to it's design.

I have a microbrite on my self and make plenty of light.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Desert Dog Great! Thank you. I saw the video of someone doing that, I guess if we get to that point will do that.
Spoke to builder again and he said I have time to to change my mind to get microbrites. Swears that he has never heard of an issue and the owner has 50 globrites in his pool and yes has had to change out a few but if there were a serious issue with them they never install them. Warranty is 3 years. So torn. Maybe no right answer. The old ones are really big, seems old fashioned. The globrites may put more lights, and microbrites may not be as much lights. Doing the DIY part scares me a little so not sure about that. May just stick with globrites and hope for the best! Really annoying that nothing is a great option. Thank you all, at least I now know my options.

I was in the same position. I went with microbrites. I am building a 16x35, no sunshelf though. I decided to get 3 lights.

Brand new member here, about to jump headfirst into 1st ever pool build.

How do you feel about the microlites with 3 of them? I'm meeting with pool builder this afternoon, to finalize design plans (hopefully). Freeform pool, around 37ft x 22ft at the 2 widest points (Length & Width). GloBrites say 700 lumen from a chart I found on this forum, and Microlites say 500 lumen. From what I've read on this site, I was leaning towards 4 microlites in pool plus 1 extra in spa, after the Pool Builder had proposed installing 3 GloLites in his bid. (and 1 more GloLight in the spa). I didn't like the sound of the GloBrites being not as future proof, if I want to swap them out a few years down the road for a potential newer/better model, vs being stuck with the GloLite niche.

Reactions: JayRi
Whatever you go with, be sure the fixture is something that can be replaced in a standard way. A standard that will be around for decades. My 5G light goes into a standard niche. The replacement choices are endless, and will be forever. I can use any brand, and that means the various brands will need to compete for my dollar. The more specialized or proprietary the light and its housing, the more you'll pay for replacements, and the less options you'll have if you want to change brands or type of light.

Personally, I would stick with the giant ol' ugly niche and leave all my options open. Nobody but me would notice or care that the light was not of one of the "cooler" smaller variety.

LED pool lights suck in terms of reliability. We all hope somebody will solve for that someday. You'll want to be able to install that miracle when it occurs.

Brand new member here, about to jump headfirst into 1st ever pool build.

How do you feel about the microlites with 3 of them? I'm meeting with pool builder this afternoon, to finalize design plans (hopefully). Freeform pool, around 37ft x 22ft at the 2 widest points (Length & Width). GloBrites say 700 lumen from a chart I found on this forum, and Microlites say 500 lumen. From what I've read on this site, I was leaning towards 4 microlites in pool plus 1 extra in spa, after the Pool Builder had proposed installing 3 GloLites in his bid. (and 1 more GloLight in the spa). I didn't like the sound of the GloBrites being not as future proof, if I want to swap them out a few years down the road for a potential newer/better model, vs being stuck with the GloLite niche.
Sorry I can’t give you an answer. My pool is still under construction. There isn’t much info out there in them either. But my thinking was that if they don’t work out at least they can be swapped out for a different brand later on. Nichless lights only use a 1.5” pvc pipe housing.

Sorry I can’t give you an answer. My pool is still under construction. There isn’t much info out there in them either. But my thinking was that if they don’t work out at least they can be swapped out for a different brand later on. Nichless lights only use a 1.5” pvc pipe housing.
Any update on this? I am going with 5 microbrites in my 18*44 pool. The pool builder had suggested globrite.

5 lights will be plenty, I have 3 on my 16x34. They are plenty bright. The only issue is that Red isn’t too bright. But honestly I don’t think I’d use it that much. I like the white and blue most. But most of the time I have it set to the Romance color pattern which changes softly between colors. I like the idea of having the ability to swap out lights with any number of brands since it’s just a standard 1.5” fitting.

Reactions: khyber
Any update on this? I am going with 5 microbrites in my 18*44 pool. The pool builder had suggested globrite.

Between the two go with the microbrites. They use a standard 1 1/2 inch fitting and that is more standard than the globrite niche. That was the decision process I made when choosing. Plus the microbrites are Pentairs latest generation of LED fixture so my hope is that they last a lot longer than some of the earlier lights.

Reactions: khyber

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.