Need to lower Alkalinity 100ppm. How much Muriatic Acid can I add at one time? Liner pool 33K gallons

Leah Baker

Jul 6, 2021
Illinois
Based off of other how to's and questions I have read on this site I did not think it mattered how much I add at one time. Here is what I did this morning while dressed in full clothing, rubber gloves and goggles on my eyes:
1.) Fill 5 gallon bucket with pool water
2.) Mix half gallon of MA with cordless drill with long paddle attachment
3.) Slowly pour in deep end by return then hand mix with long handle brush in between applications
*Did 3 total gallons of MA over 6 applications following the steps above. I am currently aerating with fountains and using my air compressor. Thoughts on this? I was told that was too much to do at one time by another group. If that was too much at one time please recommend the max I should add in one application a day....thank you!!

I'm afraid that was not the correct process, but I applaud your HAZMAT preparation. :) To lower the TA, simply do the following:
- Let the pH rise to about 8.0 then use the correct dosage of muriatic acid (MA) to lower the pH to 7.0. No need to mix or dilute the MA. Pour the measured amount of MA slowly at the return jets so it can mix quickly in the water. You can sweep the area if needed. Then let the pH rise again (or aerate to help it) to 8.0 and repeat the process. Each time you lower the pH from 8.0 to 7.0 it will pull the TA down a little each time.

You should not lower your pH below 7.0. If starting around 8 it means you should not add more acid then around a 0.8 reduction in pH.

Why do you think you need to rapidly lower your TA by 100 ppm in a vinyl pool?

Post a complete set of test results...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

What chlorinator do you have?

Get rid of your mineral injector. It is adding copper or silver that will eventually stain your pool.

You really don’t want the ph to drop below 7.2 if you can help it. The lower the ta, the harder it will be to raise your ph back up. Premixing is an extra step you probably don’t need. Pour the acid grass growing slow in front of the return(s) and it will disperse instead of sinking. If the app says 6 gallons,(or whatever) start with half and check in 24 hours to see how much your alkalinity dropped before adding more. Keep the bubbles going! As many tiny ones as possible and from as deep as possible. You can even throw some people in there to splash and speed up the process if the ph is still reasonable. PS. I’m no pro but I’ve got experience.

You should not lower your pH below 7.0. If starting around 8 it means you should not add more acid then around a 0.8 reduction in pH.

Why do you think you need to rapidly lower your TA by 100 ppm in a vinyl pool?

Post a complete set of test results...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

What chlorinator do you have?

Get rid of your mineral injector. It is adding copper or silver that will eventually stain your pool.

FC= 8
CC=0
PH=7.8 **Prior to adding muriatic acid-intentionally raised it with aeration knowing I was doing this project
TA=225
CH=200
CYA=80 **Been doing lowering project for 3 weeks started at 191 and have been draining refilling every week. horrible
No longer using chlorinator as the builder had me set up with 4 things/products that were adding CYA in and I had no idea. Using only liquid chlorine. Using Pool Math to keep my FC where it needs to be in accordance of CYA but keeping slightly higher due to knowing I wasn't going to add any chlorine in today.

I'm afraid that was not the correct process, but I applaud your HAZMAT preparation. :) To lower the TA, simply do the following:
- Let the pH rise to about 8.0 then use the correct dosage of muriatic acid (MA) to lower the pH to 7.0. No need to mix or dilute the MA. Pour the measured amount of MA slowly at the return jets so it can mix quickly in the water. You can sweep the area if needed. Then let the pH rise again (or aerate to help it) to 8.0 and repeat the process. Each time you lower the pH from 8.0 to 7.0 it will pull the TA down a little each time.
Does the pool math app tell me how to lower it from 8 to 7? Tell me where I go to figure that out and I will continue. I tested 3 hours after adding MA and I was at 7.0. Haven't tested since I started my aeration project with the air compressor haha!

Does the pool math app tell me how to lower it from 8 to 7?
On the APP look for "Effects of Adding". That is where you can see how to dose any chemical. If you are worried about lowering the pH to 7.0, 7.2 will work as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny thing is my PH has always been stable even with high Alk. hovers between 7.4-7.6 since I put in some cheap fountains.
You're fortunate. Most see the pH skyrocket. Even better reason to not feel rushed. Treat as you can and eventually you'll get it closer to the 90-100 range. Very common with high TA in your region.

Reactions: Leah Baker
the pool math app tell me how to lower it from 8 to 7?
Also you can tap on the pH section and it'll give you basically the same calculator, but with the option of immediately logging that addition of chemical. I prefer this view having done basically your entire routine with insanely high CYA and alkalinity.Screenshot_20210727-034057.png

Reactions: Leah Baker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.