Need to install new spa & pool lights, is it hard?

Jeffc2112

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2015
Katy, TX
My spa light is out and my pool light is intermittent. I ordered the new spa light (Hayward SP0535SLED100) but haven't put it in yet. I've seen some videos and with the right safety (breakers, etc) it doesn't seem to hard to DIY, thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

Thank you Arizonarob and guinness. It appears that I have to replace the whole thing, looks like it's just one unit. I bought the whole unit with 100' of wire since it's on the far side of the electrical area.

Jeff, some advice.

Depending on how long that wire has been in the conduit, it could go smooth, or rough.
Get yourself some pull string and cable lube from Home Depot or Lowe’s.
1. Have yourself and a helper.
2. Cut the wire at the old fixture itself.
3. Attach pull string to old wire where you cut it. (Do not try to pull the new wire through with the old wire)
4. Lube up the wire where it goes into the conduit from the side you cut.
5. With the helper, pull from the junction box side, while the helper feeds it towards you. (You May have to work it back-n-forth to get it to move)
6. Attach pull string and lube up new wire at light niche location.
7. Pull string from junction box location while helper feeds new wire into conduit from niche location. (It will help tremendously to keep the wire lubed as the helper continues to feed it in to the conduit)

I have pulled literally thousands of miles of cable in my career, and the way I described is the best way to get the job done with as little frustration as possible. :cheers:

Reactions: guinness
Thanks Rob, I was thinking of attaching the new wire to the old wire right at the light fixture and pulling that through one time, not a good idea though? So I understand, you're saying I'll pull through the string from junction box to the light assembly, then attach the new wire and pull that back to junction box? It's been in there about 8 or 9 years I think...

You can do the initial pull of the string in either direction. Which ever way you can get the most leverage.
The reason behind NOT pulling the new wire in while the old one comes out is...
There will be goop in the conduit from the last wire pull. And it’s so much easier to feed the new one in on a string, rather then bundled together with the old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.