Need some help with salt + level

Did you take the t-15 cell to the pool store or did you take a water sample to the pool store?

Good point. I was assuming the cell was being tested.

If the pool water sample is being tested at the pool store, what method are they testing it with ? Strips? Digital TDS meter? Their own K-1766?

No, I examined and cleaned the T-cell myself as prescribed by Hayward. It didn't need it but I went ahead and cleaned it anyhow.

I took a water bottle "water" sample to the pool store for testing. The previous owner used them exclusively for testing this pool for the past 3 years. He didn't have a kit himself so he would just take a sample in on occasion. They would test the water and then make recommendations. I cannot say exactly what test he was using as I was preoccupied with some other things.

My T-cell says the salinity is a little low in my pool. The pool store, unaware of my t-cell readings, state my pool is a little low on salt as well. Both within two hundred ppm of each other. On the other hand the K-1766 test kit states I am way over with salinity. I cannot see how that is possible given I have been adding some fresh water due to a pool leak.

I'm going to purchase another kit or strip.

Ralph

*Add one drop of R-0718 and stir after each drop. This is the dark colored Silver Nitrate which changes the color of the water from yellow to brick red. It has taken exactly 19 drops each time on almost a dozen tests I've performed. I also had my wife read and perform the test herself which rendered the exact same results. On the 17th drop it flashes a little brick red then returns fully to yellow. On the 18th drop is flashes a little more brick red then returns fully to yellow. On the 19th drop the water turns fully brick red and stays as such.

Can you confirm the color of the R-0718 drops? They should be clear, colorless drops not dark colored at all. If they are dark colored then that could be a sign that they are compromised. Silver nitrate can oxidize to form silver oxide which has a brown/black color.

Are all the reagents still within their expiration dates? Has the test kit been stored outdoors or exposed to excessive heat?

Take a water sample to 3 pool stores, they will be different, trusting a pool store just leads you in circles.
I had the pool water tested by a second pool store today "Leslies" and their reading is really close to what my SWG is showing and the other pool store (2400ppm, 2600ppm, 2800ppm) respectfully. I cut my pump run time and added some fresh water since the first pool store tested at 2800ppm. So the lower readings today would be expected. I consider all three of these readings to be nearly identical and highly accurate.

In contrast, my K-1766 kit has always stated my salinity to be high at 3800ppm on every test performed over the past week. Despite any variance of pump run time, SWG % adjustments or the addition of fresh water. I do not consider this to be accurate at all.

The pool company I purchased the kit from has apologized and agrees there must be something wrong with the kit. So they are going to swap it out for me.

I do not consider there to be anything wrong with my SWG. The previous owner said it was new (few months) and the serial number shows this. The cell was also in new condition upon inspection.

God Bless,
Ralph

It sounds like you got a bad test kit. Taylor, for the past several years now, has started printing expiration dates on all their reagent bottles so that the consumer knows if the reagents are good. In the past they only put lot ID numbers on the bottles and the user had to call up if they suspected the reagents were old. Taylor guarantees most of their reagents for one year. I have had my K-1766 kit for several seasons and it’s dead-on accurate. I trust it’s results more than my cell’s reporting or my previous salt test strips.

One wild-card factor in test kits is retail suppliers. Some will sell kits that have been sitting on their shelves for years or they will ship them out (for example, if you purchase on Amazon) and they sit in hot trucks for days. Heat can quickly destroy reagents and selling old stock is just bad business practice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.