Need some help balancing TA and CH

nicheel

Silver Supporter
Aug 14, 2018
Litchfield Park, AZ
I have no idea what I did wrong, but I need some assistance on getting my water balanced out. Water looks great, just need some assistance for my TA and CH. I do have a water softener connected to the pool autofill.

FC = 2.0
pH = 7.5
TA = 120
CH = 525
CYA = 50
Water temp = 82

How do your chlorinate your pool?

Focus on the important stuff - FC and pH. Your FC is low and should be at least 4 if you use a SWG or 6-8 if you use liquid chlorine.

Your TA is fine and your CH is what it is. Only way to lower CH is draining water.

Turn on Track CSI on PoolMath and calculate it. With high CH you need to manage your CSI.

@mknauss can advise on how to manage high CH in the Southwest.

Reactions: nicheel
How do your chlorinate your pool?

Focus on the important stuff - FC and pH. Your FC is low and should be at least 4 if you use a SWG or 6-8 if you use liquid chlorine.

Your TA is fine and your CH is what it is. Only way to lower CH is draining water.

Turn on Track CSI on PoolMath and calculate it. With high CH you need to manage your CSI.

@mknauss can advise on how to manage high CH in the Southwest.

Thanks for the advice.

Back in Jan-Feb I had to use pucks. Besides that I only use liquid chlorine. I didn't add chlorine last night, but I will tonight.

I've been trying what the pool math app recommends. Lowering TA by reducing pH to 7.0-7.2 and running the waterfall.

As Allen said, turn on CSI Tracking in Poolmath. As you do not have a SWCG, as long as the CSI is below 0.6, you should not see scaling. You may see some build up at the water line as that is from evaporation.

I would not kill myself over lowering your TA. When your pH hits 7.8, drop it to 7.4.

As you add softened water, your CH may fall as you will some amount of splashout, etc. Though it will be small.

Remember, a water softener does NOT remove alkalinity. So you will be adding acid regularly to lower pH.

Reactions: nicheel
As Allen said, turn on CSI Tracking in Poolmath. As you do not have a SWCG, as long as the CSI is below 0.6, you should not see scaling. You may see some build up at the water line as that is from evaporation.

I would not kill myself over lowering your TA. When your pH hits 7.8, drop it to 7.4.

As you add softened water, your CH may fall as you will some amount of splashout, etc. Though it will be small.

Remember, a water softener does NOT remove alkalinity. So you will be adding acid regularly to lower pH.

Thank you for your response. I love this site.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.