Need some help ASAP - a 9 year old's birthday party depends on it!

You can vacuum to the filter. If you notice loss of suction or the return flow is weaker then you will need to backwash before you continue vacuuming. If there is a lot of debris and the filter fills up quickly then you may want to vacuum to waste.

+1 to brush once, or more, per day. Brushing exposes algae to chlorine and helps to kill it faster and eliminates possible areas with low circulation. Backwash your filter when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

As a mom, I'm impressed by your dedication!!! We had a pool party cancelled (the pool part) last year due to green pool.... nothing more dissapointing than a bunch of kids staring out at a green swamp on a super hot and sunny day. The little boy's dad was having a great time with his beer while the pool just sat there getting greener!!! Save that party Dad!

9cd8d1458ccd5e4bec67813e7cdd7a39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're shooting for June 11, right? Looking good! Dedicated parent :).

Heads-up to keep a day or two in your back pocket for the FC to drop. Personally, I don't mention PPM FC to anyone but a TFPer, or someone who already gets FC/CYA %s. We know it's OK because we understand FC-CYA-HOCl, but most people don't, and if they know pools, sometimes they freak. I've had reactions even mentioning 8 PPM FC, let alone 20. I've swam in 24 open-eyed with my fair and troubled skin and never felt a thing. We know it's entirely safe below shock level, but, well, hope this makes sense and I'm not complicating it for you. If it drops 3 PPM per day, maybe 5 PPM, it'll take some time, that's all. Start your OCLTs early and be prepared that you may want to do 2 or even 3 OCLTs to be sure. You know now that you don't want to ever have to SLAM again!

I'll do my first OCLT tonight. Did a vacuum this morning - have a consistent little patch of dark matter below the shallow end jet, which is odd - guess there is a little whirlpool there? Also, the water is 68 degrees - how long in advance do I have to fire up the heater to get comfortable water for Saturday at noon? It's a gas heater that is probably sized correctly for our pool. It's supposed to be 93F here on Friday and Saturday, so wonder how warm I want it?

Thanks all! I can see the bottom in the deep end - not readable but I can see the rock the neighbor kid threw in the pool a few weeks ago finally hehe. :)

Dan

I like 82 and my wife likes 86. Kids will swim in 68. Brrrrr.

If it were me, (a bit OCD) I'd think about water balance for the heater. Be prepared to at least raise the pH. (I saw 6.8 somewhere in this thread, along with low TA and CH) You'll need some good quality distilled water to get a rough idea of pH if your FC is still above 10.

No way to know how fast it will heat. Depends on size, overnight temp, wind. Maybe test one morning and see how much it rises in 4 hours. It could take overnight. Do you have a cover? (that doesn't have algae on it!). The cover holds heat in overnight by reducing evaporative cooling.

pH is at 7.4 right now with a TA of 80. Passed the OCLT last night so letting the chlorine dissipate a bit before the weekend. Water looks good! Definitely some grit on the bottom that I've had to vacuum - from the air or sand filter perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pH will measure high when FC is high, so once FC drops below 10 make sure to remeasure pH.

Regarding your heater, it should heat the pool 1 degree every hour or two during the daytime. With the warm weather coming, you could probably turn it on Friday and be in good shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.