Need some help/ advice

Gardenmom

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2016
Syracuse, NY
I have had few issues with my pool since I found TFP years back. Until now. We went on vacation for 2 weeks, added additional liquid chlorine, and a few pucks in a floating dispenser, as my CYA was low enough. When we returned, there was a bit of algae on the floor and on the shady walls. SLAMmed, then OCLT. PH, TA, CH all unchanged. Chlorine level adjusted. Then, since reading good things, I decided to try adding Borax. Ran my numbers on PoolMath, said to add 7+ boxes. Hmmm, that sounds like a lot. Previously started with 2 boxes, didn’t do much, Borates to 5. So, then I added 4 boxes. Yikes! The pH is a brilliant bright magenta red. Significant increase in TA. What to do? Values below.

Pre vacation: FC 3(raised to 16 day we left), CC 0, pH 7.6, TA 80, CH 80, CYA 45, Borates 5, Temp 83°
Post vacation : FC 1, CC 0, pH 7.3, TA 80, CH 80, CYA 50, Borates 5, Temp 84°
SLAM: ( 3 days) FC 14, CC 0, pH 7.4, TA 80, CH 80 CYA 50, Borates 5 Temp 84°, passed OCLT
Today:added 4 boxes borax yesterday: FC 5, CC 0, pH off the charts!, TA 140, CH 80, CYA 50, Borates 25, Temp 84°

Thanks!

Start adding acid. Add enough to drop pH by 0.6 at a time. Test TA each time so you have that number for Poolmath.
Get pH into the 7's. Watch the TA.

If you want to add borates, use boric acid.

Thank you for your prompt responses. I used Borax as that was first on PoolMath list, from reading other info, always a learning curve.
Found about 1.5 cups dry acid, added last night.
Here are todays values:
FC 2.5, pH 8.4*, TA 130. CC, CH, CYA, Borates no change.
* As the kit test tube only reads to 8, and the color was above that, I checked with some AquaChek test strips that read to 8.4. Hoping close enough. Using the Acid Demand #R-0005, 10 drops to get to 7.7.
Also found about 1.5 cup of Jasco Green MA. No Baume listed. Can I use this up? Should I purchase more of this from Lowes’s, dry acid from a pool store, or this item, Acid Blue MA from Amazon? I guess I am a bit hesitant now.
Thank you for all your assistance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.