Need some advice and help about DE filter.

Jul 4, 2014
Dallas, Tx
Hi, guys.

After back washing DE filter yesterday, I noticed that back wash valve cannot be pushed to the bottom, and it's kinda stiff when i tried to twist it. So I pulled out the valve, rinse it off. After putting lubricant on those o-rings, the valve can be push to bottom and easy to twist to close and open. Unfortunately, something occurring today concerns me. DE filter pressure raise so fast since this morning, it started with 20psi, but it reached 28psi after a couple of hours, then 32psi. I worried if there were anything inside the filter causing that, so I open it up and completely washed the filter around noon. After I put back, pressure dropped to 20psi, but, after a few hours, pressure comes back to 28psi again. I'm running out ideas what I should do now, any suggestion and help would be appreciated.

P.S, is it possible that I didn't put enough D.E into filter after wash? I ran low on D.E at home, so I only put 6 cups of D.E in after wash it.

-----

I should've posted this thread in the section for Filter, my bad. Can anyone move the thread right section, please? Thank you.

If your pool is green and/or cloudy looking, what you're describing is normal. The filter is doing its job and filtering out the particles. That's one of the downsides to a DE filter -- it works too good!

My hat is off to you -- you disassembled a slide valve without breaking anything and it works after reassembly. That's no small feat.

If your pool is green and/or cloudy looking, what you're describing is normal. The filter is doing its job and filtering out the particles. That's one of the downsides to a DE filter -- it works too good!

My hat is off to you -- you disassembled a slide valve without breaking anything and it works after reassembly. That's no small feat.

Lol, thank you very much, Richard. Yes, my pools currently is cloudy looking and water is green. I just start maintaining my pool after spring this year, I brushed and put a few jugs of bleach during this weekend. So, does that mean that I should SLAM my pool and make water clean, then pressure should drop after that?

Lol, thank you very much, Richard. Yes, my pools currently is cloudy looking and water is green. I just start maintaining my pool after spring this year, I brushed and put a few jugs of bleach during this weekend. So, does that mean that I should SLAM my pool and make water clean, then pressure should drop after that?
Yes, SLAM. And expect that filter to load up frequently for the first few days. Once the water gets blue-grey and only murky, the intervals should extend.

I just completed a 72 hr SLAM with a DE filter. I went through 25lbs of DE for an above ground 24ft pool. Although DE filters are horrible keeping up with during an algae outbreak, they are truely fantastic filters! I'll never own anything other than DE!

Yes, SLAM. And expect that filter to load up frequently for the first few days. Once the water gets blue-grey and only murky, the intervals should extend.

I just completed a 72 hr SLAM with a DE filter. I went through 25lbs of DE for an above ground 24ft pool. Although DE filters are horrible keeping up with during an algae outbreak, they are truely fantastic filters! I'll never own anything other than DE!

Thank you both for tips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.