Need SLAM help, please!!

I hope you mend quickly and completely. Sorry you had to face that burden.
Well I started slamming today! Went to Walmart earlier and stocked up on chlorine. Decided that draining would be too much and the slam has worked for most everyone one here. Followed your advice and calculations and am about to make sure with the adjustments I got up to 20ppm. Thanks for all the advice and help so far!

Thanks for all the advice and help so far!
Happy to help. I'm sure during slam, the questions will start coming!

Remember these things:
1) if you can check and adjust FC every 2 hours, no shorter, it will go faster.
2) You only need to test FC. Do it with the 10ml sample (.5 increments). Anything else will waste reagents.
3) Do nothing but slam, brush (I know the back, but if you can at least get 1 good brushing to break the biofilm on any algae, it will help), Filter and add FC.

Good luck!

Happy to help. I'm sure during slam, the questions will start coming!

Remember these things:
1) if you can check and adjust FC every 2 hours, no shorter, it will go faster.
2) You only need to test FC. Do it with the 10ml sample (.5 increments). Anything else will waste reagents.
3) Do nothing but slam, brush (I know the back, but if you can at least get 1 good brushing to break the biofilm on any algae, it will help), Filter and add FC.

Good luck!
Ok, time for the questions!!! How long does a slam usually last? I’ve kept it between 16-20 FC since Saturday afternoon and gone through about 34 gallons of chlorine so far. It is still very cloudy, and non of the junk seems to be filtered out. It is coated on the steps and wall. Will all this go away? Am I still headed in the right direction? Here’s a couple pics of all the stuff I’m dealing with!

Attachments

• 4A1844AB-C6A9-4F3B-8396-E99E03448440.jpeg
    4A1844AB-C6A9-4F3B-8396-E99E03448440.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1B6DF881-9B02-46EB-8A8F-7421A4F8B267.jpeg
    1B6DF881-9B02-46EB-8A8F-7421A4F8B267.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 12
  • C3FB427C-1A73-4F45-B1ED-36B1FF7E30AC.jpeg
    C3FB427C-1A73-4F45-B1ED-36B1FF7E30AC.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 12
Ok, time for the questions!!! How long does a slam usually last? I’ve kept it between 16-20 FC since Saturday afternoon and gone through about 34 gallons of chlorine so far. It is still very cloudy, and non of the junk seems to be filtered out. It is coated on the steps and wall. Will all this go away? Am I still headed in the right direction? Here’s a couple pics of all the stuff I’m dealing with!
What are your test results and the results of your OCLT? Some take a few days, some a couple weeks. The water looks clear so you have that going for you. The other two criteria tell you when your done.

34 gallons seems like a lot for 3 days. Are you sure about the 16-200ppm?

What are your test results and the results of your OCLT? Some take a few days, some a couple weeks. The water looks clear so you have that going for you. The other two criteria tell you when your done.

34 gallons seems like a lot for 3 days. Are you sure about the 16-200ppm?
I haven’t run a full panel of tests since starting the slam. The OCLT last night was a loss of 2ppm. I miss typed, I meant 28 gallons of chlorine, I forgot I have a case of 6 I haven’t used yet. Yes, I’m sure about the 16-20ppm. Saturday afternoon Sunday it dropped below 16, but Monday and today it hasn’t fallen below 16 in between tests.

There’s no finite amount of time for SLAM Process completion although doing certain things help it along as mentioned above-
* testing fc & replenishing to slam level frequently (every couple hours is ideal but at least 3-4 times a day) every hour below slam level for your cya algae grows.
* brushing &/ vacuuming at least daily (this breaks up the biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine allowing you to murder it)
* backwashing when filter pressure rises 25% over clean pressure (this can be a chore w/ a d.e. Filter since it’s sooo good at its job & clogs quickly)
* scrubbing ALL the nooks & crannies such as- light niches, skimmer throats & weirs (even the foam), water features, steps, ladders & their cups, drain covers etc.
*Run all water features for at least an hour every day so they get slam level fc in them

Reactions: BKennedy
I haven’t run a full panel of tests since starting the slam. The OCLT last night was a loss of 2ppm. I miss typed, I meant 28 gallons of chlorine, I forgot I have a case of 6 I haven’t used yet. Yes, I’m sure about the 16-20ppm. Saturday afternoon Sunday it dropped below 16, but Monday and today it hasn’t fallen below 16 in between tests.
Was just curious about the FC test results. Is this 10% or the lower 6% stuff? If you go over the SLAM level is tends to just waste chlorine instead of making it go faster so just keep it at SLAM.

If you log all your tests, it would help people check for making sure there’s nothing your missing.

Was just curious about the FC test results. Is this 10% or the lower 6% stuff? If you go over the SLAM level is tends to just waste chlorine instead of making it go faster so just keep it at SLAM.

If you log all your tests, it would help people check for making sure there’s nothing your missing.
Only time I have gone over the slam level was about 9 pm this evening. I tested at 22ppm instead of my slam level at 20. I’ll see what it is in the morning for my OCLT results and I’ll check the rest of the readings as well. Water is definitely not clear though. It is still very cloudy. Yes, it is 10%. Thanks!

Ok, did a full test this morning. Results should be on the link in my profile. I guess my cya has dropped to 40 so that decreases my slam level to 17. My OCLT went from 22 to 19 but I have 0 CC. Water is still cloudy and ph went to 8. Should I make any adjustments or just keep slamming? I’m backwashing the DE filter now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep slamming! Scrub when you can, that helps. Can you take a wide shot picture of the pool so we can see color of the water and any lights/ladders etc are in the pool? Pics really help...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Keep slamming! Scrub when you can, that helps. Can you take a wide shot picture of the pool so we can see color of the water and any lights/ladders etc are in the pool? Pics really help...
I just checked again and was down from 19 this morning to 14 now. Brought back to 16ppm. Here are a couple of pics. No ladders, steps etc. There’s a light under the diving board and I have scrubbed it with a wire brush. I’ve brushed the pool again this morning and still really cloudy before and after brushing.

Attachments

• 818A9C15-8A35-4E43-A87C-B5CC42053B94.jpeg
    818A9C15-8A35-4E43-A87C-B5CC42053B94.jpeg
    781.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 58F5862B-C34F-4D43-BB11-DAB0CF7ED190.jpeg
    58F5862B-C34F-4D43-BB11-DAB0CF7ED190.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 71F59D1A-05BE-457C-AA3B-D96D6EE4F9A8.jpeg
    71F59D1A-05BE-457C-AA3B-D96D6EE4F9A8.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 592CCE98-651C-47C4-BEEE-673C9E50E185.jpeg
    592CCE98-651C-47C4-BEEE-673C9E50E185.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 15
You may want to take the light out and check behind it for gunk. Lots of potential for it in those.

Also, those leaves aren’t helping it go any faster. Find a net and get those out.
I would think my robot would get those but it’s not doing a very good job. After about 15 mins of running it says it’s “full” yet it doesn’t have much in the filter.

I would think my robot would get those but it’s not doing a very good job. After about 15 mins of running it says it’s “full” yet it doesn’t have much in the filter.
Yea, youde think if they can build a car that drives itself safely all over the place, they could build a robot that would suck up leaves correctly, but alas…

• Haha
Reactions: BKennedy
Well it seems to be getting there slowly. Water is starting to clear up. Still have a problem with all the dirt/dust on the bottom/sides/steps. I’ve been brushing about 3 times a day and it seems to just stir everything up and it settle back down. I really don’t think I’m getting anywhere with it. 😡

Well it seems to be getting there slowly. Water is starting to clear up. Still have a problem with all the dirt/dust on the bottom/sides/steps. I’ve been brushing about 3 times a day and it seems to just stir everything up and it settle back down. I really don’t think I’m getting anywhere with it. 😡
The brushing is just to break down algae that might be on the wall. For dirt, dust laying on the bottom that has to be vacuumed up either manually or with a robot/cleaner or a net.

The brushing is just to break down algae that might be on the wall. For dirt, dust laying on the bottom that has to be vacuumed up either manually or with a robot/cleaner or a net.
Ok, well there is probably so much that the robot won’t make a dent on it. Guess I’ll start vacuuming some each day! Hoping my OCLT is good, but it’s still not crystal clear. Getting tired of buying bottles of chlorine!

Yeah, I hear you, went through 45 with my slam.

You are making progress, pics always help us figure out where you are at in slam.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear you, went through 45 with my slam.

You are making progress, pics always help us figure out where you are at in slam.
Here’s a couple pics, but not very good! The second pic shows all the gunk floating around in the pool!

Attachments

• 5241DE20-E6C3-415D-8B20-0D06101D04AE.jpeg
    5241DE20-E6C3-415D-8B20-0D06101D04AE.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2BB60D2F-71CF-41F7-B4F9-39E4EDA228E8.jpeg
    2BB60D2F-71CF-41F7-B4F9-39E4EDA228E8.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.