Need Pressure relief air valve for blower in spa at condo complex

STxFarmer

Nov 3, 2015
McAllen, Texas
Our spa at our beach condo originally had a 1hp blower on the spa but it would always overheat and stop. Management put a 2hp blower on it and now it gets really hot when people are in the spa and blocking the jets. So much that it has discolored the plastic air feed pipe in the pump room. I have searched but can't find a low pressure relief valve for a spa that would open when the back pressure becomes too much and close when the back pressure goes down. Has anyone encountered a similar situation and found a solution for something like this?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
You can buy PVC relief valves but they're expensive.
You can also buy spring check valves with 2 or 3 psi springs in them that would act as a relief valve. Since it's not a safety device it doesn't have to be certified like safety relief valves have to be.

Do you have a pressure gauge on the blower so you know what pressure you need?

STxFarmer

Nov 3, 2015
McAllen, Texas
No pressure gauge. Just was shown the problem yesterday when the guy that pretty much runs the association was showing it to me. Did a Google search for ideas but didn't find anything that really fit out needs so I thought I would post here.

Let me plumb a 5 psi gauge and see where that lands and then go from there.

kadavis

TFP Guide
In The Industry
Apr 5, 2015
tucson, arizona
Take an amp draw test while the blower is on, some techs will drill small holes in the pipe until they get within the blowers spec's. Putting on a larger blower usually leads to trouble