Bronze Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
Denison , tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone ... quick history : built pool in August 2018 and it stays open year round . This is our first full summer with the pool . It has been crystal clear since install ( except white calcium looking deposits on spa fountain stone ) with weekly dip strips and monthly water samples to store recommended by builder and daily skimmer emptying , weekly brushing / skimming , emptying pump baskets / add tabs to chlorinator ( keep 2-3 tabs in tube and dial at 1.5 keeps cl at 3-5) . I shock very infrequent because chlorine is always around 3 with little to no combined chlorine . I use Cal Hypo 68% shock and tricolor tabs . I am currently adding 9 oz algae control ( polyethylene 60% ) weekly during the last week of July and month of August . Over the life of the pool recommdatiins have included adding alkalinizer or muriatic acid on occasion per store advice .

Upon having confusing results in recent tests , researching water testing and recently taking three same day samples to three different stores and getting 3 different treatment recommendations , I am confused .

It is my understanding that if combined chlorine is 0.5 or less then there is no need to shock . Is this correct?

I am considering getting a simple test for daily cl , ph and alk levels and a more comprehensive test for weekly samples .

Results of stores A, B and C are as follows:

Store A: ( recommended by builder and used up until 1 month ago )

FAC:1.9
TC:1.9
CC:0
PH: 7.7
TA:69
TA Adjusted:28
CH:253
CA:122
Sat Index:0.4
Recommendation: 18.5 lb alkalinity plus

Store B:
( used over this last month - sample taken weekly this month in attempt to educate myself)

FAC:3
TAC:3
CH:175
CA:65
TA:140
PH:7.8
Copper:0
Iron:0
TDS:900
Phosp:400
Recommendation:
- 24 oz muriatic acid with additional 4 qt 4 oz possibly being made over time )
-14 labs 1oz Hardness Plus

Store C:

FC:1.5
TCl:1.5
TH:260
CYA:100
TA:80
PH:7.7
Sat index :normal
Recommendation : shock pool 1.5 pounds

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Hello everyone ... quick history : built pool in August 2018 and it stays open year round . This is our first full summer with the pool . It has been crystal clear since install ( except white calcium looking deposits on spa fountain stone ) with weekly dip strips and monthly water samples to store recommended by builder and daily skimmer emptying , weekly brushing / skimming , emptying pump baskets / add tabs to chlorinator ( keep 2-3 tabs in tube and dial at 1.5 keeps cl at 3-5) . I shock very infrequent because chlorine is always around 3 with little to no combined chlorine . I use Cal Hypo 68% shock and tricolor tabs . I am currently adding 9 oz algae control ( polyethylene 60% ) weekly during the last week of July and month of August . Over the life of the pool recommdatiins have included adding alkalinizer or muriatic acid on occasion per store advice .

Upon having confusing results in recent tests , researching water testing and recently taking three same day samples to three different stores and getting 3 different treatment recommendations , I am confused .

It is my understanding that if combined chlorine is 0.5 or less then there is no need to shock . Is this correct?

I am considering getting a simple test for daily cl , ph and alk levels and a more comprehensive test for weekly samples .

Results of stores A, B and C are as follows:

Store A: ( recommended by builder and used up until 1 month ago )

FAC:1.9
TC:1.9
CC:0
PH: 7.7
TA:69
TA Adjusted:28
CH:253
CA:122
Sat Index:0.4
Recommendation: 18.5 lb alkalinity plus

Store B:
( used over this last month - sample taken weekly this month in attempt to educate myself)

FAC:3
TAC:3
CH:175
CA:65
TA:140
PH:7.8
Copper:0
Iron:0
TDS:900
Phosp:400
Recommendation:
- 24 oz muriatic acid with additional 4 qt 4 oz possibly being made over time )
-14 labs 1oz Hardness Plus

Store C:

FC:1.5
TCl:1.5
TH:260
CYA:100
TA:80
PH:7.7
Sat index :normal
Recommendation : shock pool 1.5 pounds

Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Signature didn’t post for some reason :

15K gal /25’x20’ , 7’x6’ fountain spa, IG-pebble, 2 Pentair pumps(2HP/1HP),in line chlorinator
520sqftcartridgefilter,IG cleaningsyst, test strips weekly / water test at store monthly

Howdy, glad to have you here at TFP! We most certainly know how to help you AND save you a TON of money.

But first you need your own reliable test kit. One that does so much more than what the pool store uses-
The TF-100 was put together by a small company that made the kit based exactly on how we care for pools and test. Or the K-2006C (The C version is most comparable to the TF-100, but costs more)

You can get them at:
www.tftestkits.net
PoolSupplyWorld.com

The next issue is that the pool store is selling you a LOT of chemicals. Most you probably don't need, the others are causing problems due to their unwanted ingredients.
Other ingredients such as that "Alkalinity Increaser" you bought is nothing more than basic baking soda. You can buy that in large quantities for a fraction of the cost in the baking aisle at Walmart!

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: abradleydvm
You NEED a good test kit so you can of accuratly and precisly test your pool water quickly and as often as required. Your pool store tests should convince you.
I have a Taylor K-2006C and a link for the TF-100 is above, both work well.

Please watch this vid as it will key you into what you may be experiencing very soon if your FC is 3-5ppm and your CYA is at 100ppm.
Lot of good info in here and many fine folks happy to help out so relax and join in the Trouble Free Pool experience.

Update :

Bought TF-100 and ran a test today :

Cl-5
Ph-8.2
FC- 3.5, 2nd time 3.5
CC- 1st time 1 , 2nd time 0.5
TC -4.5- 4
CH-200
TA-300 , 2nd time 230
CYA-90

Most recent additions advised by pool store were on 8/5/19 ... 30 lb alkalinity plus based on adjusted and total alkalinity . They explained the CYA issue as reason for adjusting . After going back after changes and ph was at 8.1 , I asked about adjusting ph and they said it would correct itself because if I adjusted it it would drop alkalinity .

I followed directions and took my time ... I assume my test results are accurate .

Please advise ....

Can someone tell my why my signature is not being posted? Thanks :) and here it is ...

15K gal /25’x20’ , 7’x6’ fountain spa, IG-pebble, 2 Pentair pumps(2HP/1HP),in line chlorinator
520sqftcartridgefilter,IG cleaningsyst, test strips weekly / water test at store monthly

See the notes at Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

Redo the TA test if you were not wiping the tip and letting the drops form.

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

Can someone tell my why my signature is not being posted? Thanks :) and here it is ...

I see your signature.

You on a phone? Turn it sideways to landscape view to see signatures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lower your pH into the 7s using Muriatic Acid. Use PoolMath and assume your pH is 8 and target is 7.6. Retest in 30 minutes and repeat if needed.

Increase your FC following FC/CYA Levels for CYA 90.

Calculate your CSI using PoolMath

See the notes at Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

Redo the TA test if you were not wiping the tip and letting the drops form.

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.
I wiped with a damp paper towel before starting and after each drop and I held my bottle vertical

you might consider doing the diluted cya test. you’re at the high limit of the test.
are you still using chlorine tabs?

mike
Where do I find instructions on diluted CYA TEST and yes ... I bought a whole bucket unfortunately and so I need to use them if it won’t send my CYA up to high .?

Where do I find instructions on diluted CYA TEST and yes ... I bought a whole bucket unfortunately and so I need to use them if it won’t send my CYA up to high .?

Step 8.

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.

Lower your pH into the 7s using Muriatic Acid. Use PoolMath and assume your pH is 8 and target is 7.6. Retest in 30 minutes and repeat if needed.

CSI = 0.9 based on temp

Step 8.

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.
Adjusted CYA = 53

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.