Need pool info for dummies... me!

I looked back through the messages and didn't see where you performed the diluted CYA test. You should do that. Working from a CYA of 100 or 150 or 200 is the same process in that you must add new water. How you do that, and how long it takes really depends on just how bad your CYA really is.

I have a vinyl liner so I had to be careful not to float the liner. I also didn't know about the cold water / hot water thing at the time. I also have a well and had CYA over 200. The quickest fix for me was to pump the pool down about half way and have water trucked in. It was a one day process. Pump down in the morning and fill in the afternoon. It was quick but expensive. City water is better than my well water and I didn't risk damage to the pool or my well pump. Just the damage to my wallet.

As I said different solutions for different levels of CYA and time. Once you know your CYA we can give you a better idea of how long it will take, the risks and the potential costs. I will tell you that diluting the water without the hot cold separation is a safe but long process for high levels of CYA.

In your climate you don't want a plaster pool exposed to the sun for long periods of time. How long somebody with more experience with your climate and a plaster pool will have to chime in. The later in the year you wait the less harsh the sun. You could also wet the exposed plaster down with a garden hose as you refill. I know you wet down new plaster as it cures to protect it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.