Need opinions on what to do please

The biggest differences between pucks and liquid chlorine is that liquid chlorine will require almost daily maintenance, but it won't add stabilizer so you won't have to deal with draining & refilling as a means to control the CYA levels.
My daily pool maintenance is 5-10 minutes. Check levels (Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Clorine (CC), and PH, add liquid chlorine and/or muriatic acid as recommended by Poolmath and enjoy the evening.
About once a month I'll check the rest Calcium Hardness (CH), Total Alkalinity (TA), and Stabilizer (CYA).

Jca,

Not sure what the soils and water table are like in your area. In many locations if you drain and refill the pool you risk damage to the structure because it tends to want to float. In those cases or if your not sure, it's best to use the exchange method. Draining - Further Reading | Trouble Free Pool. Please ask any questions you have before you start.

CYA doesn't change very quickly but since you're new to this test may be good to test again. Remember outdoor only, back to the sun, and don't stare at the dot. Look away and then down at the dot. It's the most difficult test to do but your results are still more accurate than the pool store test.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Based on the results you may need to SLAM but depends on the results. If you don't have any time to do more today it would be helpful to run an OCLT tonight if you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slam? OLCT?
Before you do anything else please perform your CYA test again. If the result is over 100, dilute the sample with 50% tap water and test again then multiply the result by 2. The limit of the undiluted test is 100. We need to see how much CYA you actually have to know how much water must be drained. We do not place any confidence in the pool store test. Please post the diluted CYA test result and we'll go from there. After you get your CYA in range we'll see if you need to SLAM and/or make other adjustments.

Chris

OCLT Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

CYA distributes pretty quickly. If you ran a few hours yesterday and it set overnight you should be good to test now.

CYA that's already dissolved in solution should distribute pretty quickly. I'd run the pump an hour or two and test.

J,

The Pool Frog system adds minerals. TFP does not use any methods like this since they can have very undesirable results including stains. Do you have any existing stains? I would use this time to get the minerals out with a complete water exchange. I'm going to ask a couple of people more familiar with minerals than me to comment. @mknauss @ajw22 can you please comment?

While waiting for their comment can you please post a current CYA result and then start another drain cycle.

Thanks.

Chris

J,

The Pool Frog system adds minerals. TFP does not use any methods like this since they can have very undesirable results including stains. Do you have any existing stains? I would use this time to get the minerals out with a complete water exchange. I'm going to ask a couple of people more familiar with minerals than me to comment. @mknauss @ajw22 can you please comment?

While waiting for their comment can you please post a current CYA result and then start another drain cycle.

Thanks.

Chris
I don’t have any stains. Really to my untrained eye the pool and water look really good. I won’t be able to post the numbers until this evening as I’m at work.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.