Need New System

courtt0308

Apr 8, 2021
Coral Springs, Florida
When we took over managing our own pool a few months ago, we noticed that our Jandy TruClear was warped from the sun. Not only that, it always said "low salt", though we are NEVER low on salt. I would check with strips and then go to Leslie Pool, Pinch-a-Penny, and even asked my neighbor to use his kit to verify my results and I was getting the same results. I read the entire manual on how to use the Jandy and when we tried to adjust the %, we found we were unable to change it. The arrows and basically all functions are frozen on the panel. We had just passed the warranty 5 months prior and feel this had to have been happening much longer than just when we started, which really frustrated us. We can only put the system on standby or turn it back on and it is set at 60% which is what the pool people had set it at, I guess.
Seeing how we live in South Florida, it gets hot. The system is on the West side of the house, but still gets a lot of sunlight. I'm hoping someone can give me recommendations on new SW systems. The people that installed our Jandy now do the Pentair IC40 (which is what I was originally leaning towards). I have been told about the Hayward SwimPure Extreme (can't find anything about it online, so that makes me nervous). I have been trying to research, but have been completely overwhelmed. I'm, of course, more than open to other options. I see CircuPool all over, Hayward, etc. I would love advice (even what to stay away from). I know I need to focus on 40k+, but that's pretty much my extent of my definitive answers.
We do have a pool enclosure and have the levels pretty well managed now. However, rainy season just started this week, so we're anticipating the need to add salt regularly like the pool guys did in the past.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Courtney

Reactions: courtt0308
+1 on the Circupool. I had an old Hayward with a rectangular cell. About 10 years ago the cell went bad I couldn't get a replacement and did research before settling on Circupool. Their price was good and when you call them you get somebody who really knows what they are doing. I also liked their clear cell so you can see it working. Absolutely would buy their system again.

I would contact them and ask for a recommendation. I like the RJ series with a plug, but ask them. You also probably want 35 or 45k

+1 on the Circupool. I had an old Hayward with a rectangular cell. About 10 years ago the cell went bad I couldn't get a replacement and did research before settling on Circupool. Their price was good and when you call them you get somebody who really knows what they are doing. I also liked their clear cell so you can see it working. Absolutely would buy their system again.

I would contact them and ask for a recommendation. I like the RJ series with a plug, but ask them. You also probably want 35 or 45k
Thank you! Didn't even think to call the manufacturer directly about a recommendation on a series.

Reactions: steelman93
Another vote for the Circupool RJ+. I would go with the 60 in your case, just so you're not taxing it during the warm sunny months. I've only owned mine since October but love it so far. I converted it from 240V to 120V so it would work with my timer.

You have to be a little handy with PVC since Circupool is only sold online. But...I guess you could find a pool guy to install it as well.

Another (y) from me on the RJ models. I'd definitely get either the 45 or the 60 for your pool. I've had mine since March 2020 and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Also, you don't get dinged on the warranty if you DIY. The install is fairly straight forward. I didn't have a lot of straight pipe before my returns to cut it in, so I got creative and made an additional leg which gave me plenty of room.

Original install:

Additional leg for SWG:

It's a far cry from when I took over the pool from my pool guy in 2014. It was an absolute mess!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once I fired the pool guy and joined TFP, I went all in on the pool. :cool: That was actually my 2nd redo. I did a fairly budget re-piping with no valves and a smallish filter and single speed pump before I realized the amount of electrical savings that a VSP would give me. My single speed Hayward super pump was only 3 years old, but after learning about the huge savings a VSP could give me, I couldn't justify NOT changing it. I also bumped up from 1.5" to 2" plumbing and got a much bigger Pentair cartridge filter. It took some planning because my suction and return pipes are not in ideal locations on the equipment area. They are too close together and one is behind the other.:mad: It made for an interesting project that I took my time with.

Reactions: courtt0308 and Oly
Another vote for the Circupool RJ+. I would go with the 60 in your case, just so you're not taxing it during the warm sunny months. I've only owned mine since October but love it so far. I converted it from 240V to 120V so it would work with my timer.

You have to be a little handy with PVC since Circupool is only sold online. But...I guess you could find a pool guy to install it as well.
Thanks! I was just going to ask opinion on going up to the 60 because there is a sale online that ends today to go to the 60. I talked to CircuPool and their recommendation was the RJ series. I just meant to ask if I should go up to the 60 instead of 45 and they are of course closed today. Ugh.

I just bought a RJ30 after talking with the folks at circupool. We discussed pool size. I told them I was looking at systems with a 40K capacity. They pointed me to the RJ30 because it was producing as much per day as most of the competitive brand 40K systems were. I considered a SJ model but liked the readouts that the RJ provide.
Thanks! I'm nervous because of how hot South Florida gets for long periods that it will be running longer, was debating the 60 instead of the 45, but you think it wouldn't be necessary for my size pool? We're 25,000gal.

You cannot go wrong getting the larger capacity model. Only difference is it will cost a bit more, and should last longer.

Another (y) from me on the RJ models. I'd definitely get either the 45 or the 60 for your pool. I've had mine since March 2020 and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Also, you don't get dinged on the warranty if you DIY. The install is fairly straight forward. I didn't have a lot of straight pipe before my returns to cut it in, so I got creative and made an additional leg which gave me plenty of room.

Original install:

Additional leg for SWG:

It's a far cry from when I took over the pool from my pool guy in 2014. It was an absolute mess!

Wow! Big difference! It's nice to see how versatile the system really can be. Thank you for the visual.

You cannot go wrong getting the larger capacity model. Only difference is it will cost a bit more, and should last longer.
When I was reading, if I go with a larger system it should make it so I wouldn't have to run the pump as long, which would save the cell, plus our power bill. Did I understand that correctly?
As for the RJ system, usually it shows $100 to $120 difference between the 45 and 60 and the replacement cells are about a $100 difference (so not a deal breaker). However, the unit would only be $20 upgrade instead. Has anyone purchased from Discount Salt Pool before?

Once I fired the pool guy and joined TFP, I went all in on the pool. :cool: That was actually my 2nd redo. I did a fairly budget re-piping with no valves and a smallish filter and single speed pump before I realized the amount of electrical savings that a VSP would give me. My single speed Hayward super pump was only 3 years old, but after learning about the huge savings a VSP could give me, I couldn't justify NOT changing it. I also bumped up from 1.5" to 2" plumbing and got a much bigger Pentair cartridge filter. It took some planning because my suction and return pipes are not in ideal locations on the equipment area. They are too close together and one is behind the other.:mad: It made for an interesting project that I took my time with.
Sounds like I may have some research and configuring on my hands in the future...with the help of my handy husband. Can't trust myself with all that! Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.