Gold Supporter
May 16, 2018
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Inground pool per signature. Decking was put in back in the early 90s. Spindles and railings are in great condition, but the floor boards have had it. No longer holding a stain, look weathered and grey. Splintering, warping etc.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but I'm wondering what the realistic options are. Deck gets a decent amount of sun. Should I go wooden planks again? Artificial material?

I'm guessing replacing the boards with something similar would be cheapest and easiest as long as the base boards and guts underneath are all in good condition.

Dream would be to have pavers or something, not just plain concrete/cement. But that may not be realistic, yet.

Would love some input.

Cheers!

John

+1 on the Trex. We have it on a vacation home at Lake Tahoe, which has a really challenging climate. Stuff looks and feels great after 7+ years. Using it for the decking will allow you to use the existing framing, assuming its in good shape, and you can avoid the major disruption of going to a masonry product. Trex is more expensive than wooden deck boards, but it will be a lot chaeper than tearing out your framing, excavating, laying base rock, and laying pavers or stone on top.

Does Trex have the same warmth in appearance, feel under feet, and heat regulation of real wood decking? Thanks for the input! Weighing options, too.

^ good question. I'm interested in that as well. Also in the actual warmth of it, not just in appearance. I've always heard Trex gets hot. Of course a lighter color will help with this.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Well in Georgia, my dark brown Trex deck does get a bit hot. Of course *everything* is hot come July and August, but that darker color just exaggerates it a bit more.

Go light. Cement color gray :) in Trex should work well.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.