Need Input on Proposed Equipment for New IG Gunite Build

notime2work

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2018
Tulsa OK
We just got the proposal and preliminary computer images back from the PB in the Tulsa, OK area we want to work with. I have copied the essential parts here, and would like some feedback on what, if anything, we need to add, and questions we need to ask before signing a contract. We are supposed to meet with them sometime next week to answer questions, etc.

3.jpg

Pool:

• Basic Design: 122lf perimeter, 3’6”-6’ depth swimming pool with benches, steps and tanning ledge as shown (tanning deck is 6x9). Pool size is 18’x36’ rectangle per plans, with a capacity of approx. 20,100 gallons. Pool is 712sq ft.
  • Layout: 2 skimmers, 2 Pentair LED lights in pool, 2 main drains in pool, 4 returns in pool.
  • Equipment: Pentair Intelliflo Variable speed filter pump, TR-100 sand filter, Pentair I-Chlor salt generator.

Package includes:

• Permit and inspections

• Excavation and framing
  • #4 rebar steel for frame structure, placed 10” O.C.
  • Gunite shell-walls and floor 6” to 8”- bondbeam 12” thick
  • Plumbing package includes all 2”& 2.5” schedule 40 pipe and fittings.
  • Poolmiser auto fill (Water hookups not included)
  • Startup chemicals and maintenance equipment (pole, brush, net, vacuum hose and head)
  • Choice of white or gray (lagoon) plaster
  • 6” band of frost proof tile around waterline of pool ($10/sq. ft. allowance/ glass tile installation is extra)
  • 1085 ft of broom finished concrete decking ($6.50 per ft for additional concrete)
  • Cantilevered concrete coping

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS:

• DX3 Dolphin electronic pool cleaner +$1,000.00

**Notes:
-No irrigation or sod repair included
- Electrical hookups included
-No reroute of utility lines or sewer lines included

We are going to have to reroute the gas and electric, and will find out more about that cost in the coming weeks. Thanks for looking and keeping us out of trouble!

Gail

Congrats Gail...

Im fairly certain you can get the pool robot at a better price
Reroute of utilities could be expensive
Is your area prone to rocks in the ground
I would probably ask for 2 additional returns
Can you post equipment part #'s
Does your backyard get full sun, will you plant trees, put umbrella holders around pool

There thats enough to ponder from me. Might want to pad your expense budget for landscaping repair :)

nt2w,

The i'Chlor is way to small for a 20K pool... Salt systems need to be at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So in your case you need a cell rate for a 40K pool, the i'Chlor is only rated for a 30K pool.

This is very important because cells are rated when running at 100% output and 24/7... the bigger the cell the longer it will last and the less you will have to run the pump.

Your pool is about the same shape and size of my pool... We went with a "sports" pool, so there is no deep end... Our pool is 6' in the middle with 4' on each end... Makes playing volley ball and such better for us.

Might want to think about getting a railing installed during construction... I did not and ended up with this ugly one... Would have been much nicer if the anchors had been preinstalled in the decking.

dbtgallery.php

Make sure they use Jandy style valves and not PVC ball valves.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Congrats Gail...

Im fairly certain you can get the pool robot at a better price
Reroute of utilities could be expensive
Is your area prone to rocks in the ground
Can you post equipment part #'s
Does your backyard get full sun, will you plant trees, put umbrella holders around pool

There thats enough to ponder from me. Might want to pad your expense budget for landscaping repair :)
Thank you for the suggestions. We have folks coming out next week to tell us how much it will cost to re-route the utilities. I'm sure it will be expensive, along with landscape and sprinkler repairs. Luckily, we don't have rocks, so the excavation won't be too bad. Back yard gets full sun. We have enough surrounding trees for the leaves to be a problem in the fall, so will be getting a cover. We are opting to use a couple of cantilever umbrellas instead of fixed holders in the decking or tanning ledge. With grandkids, we figured that an umbrella in the tanning ledge could be a recipe for disaster, not to mention sometimes loose fits due to differences in size of the poles.

I have emailed the PB about the equipment part numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

nt2w,

The i'Chlor is way to small for a 20K pool... Salt systems need to be at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So in your case you need a cell rate for a 40K pool, the i'Chlor is only rated for a 30K pool.

This is very important because cells are rated when running at 100% output and 24/7... the bigger the cell the longer it will last and the less you will have to run the pump.

Your pool is about the same shape and size of my pool... We went with a "sports" pool, so there is no deep end... Our pool is 6' in the middle with 4' on each end... Makes playing volley ball and such better for us.

Might want to think about getting a railing installed during construction... I did not and ended up with this ugly one... Would have been much nicer if the anchors had been preinstalled in the decking.

dbtgallery.php

Make sure they use Jandy style valves and not PVC ball valves.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim. I had not looked at the salt generator yet, and will make that change. Would we be better off going with the IC40 SWG? Also will make sure they use Jandy style valves.

I really appreciate the suggestion of a railing! We are getting up there where it would definitely be useful. I found a contemporary looking one that we will have them install.

Would we be better off going with the IC40 SWG?

At least an IC40. An IC60 should only cost $100 or so more and should last longer with less run time. I would just go for the IC60. Then CL generation should not be an issue.

Specify that the lights in the pool are installed on the side facing away from the house. You don't want them shining into the windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think he needs 6 returns in a pool of that size?

Layout: 2 skimmers, 2 Pentair LED lights in pool, 2 main drains in pool, 4 returns in pool.

Thank you Jim. I had not looked at the salt generator yet, and will make that change. Would we be better off going with the IC40 SWG?
I really appreciate the suggestion of a railing! We are getting up there where it would definitely be useful. I found a contemporary looking one that we will have them install.

nt2w,

I would go with an IC40 or 60... I have a 17K pool and have been running the IC40 for about 4 years.. In the middle of the summer, I need to run about 50% output and 24/7...

I have already "gotten up there".. :p I find that when climbing stairs, in say an office building, I rest my hand on the hand rail as I'm going up or down. I found that I needed the same "reference point" when getting in or out of the pool, so I installed the hand rail that I have today..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I have a question is the concrete decking solid all the way to pool edge (no coping ) or is it just not shown . i all ways worry about cracking and movement could be a issue to repair . i have seen some done and do like the clean lines you can have.

":Why do you think he needs 6 returns in a pool of that size?" i have 8 returns 6 in pool two in tan ledge all so 1 light in ledge 2 in pool i would have liked 3 in pool better and 1 in ledge just me tho.

Allen looking at the pic of proposed pool going clockwise:

1 on tanning ledge
1 on long wall
1 on short wall
2 on long wall
1 on short wall

My personal opinion is that pool circulation is important and adds very little to the pool cost if anything. Gets very hot in Tulsa so moving water is good!

Allen looking at the pic of proposed pool going clockwise:

1 on tanning ledge
1 on long wall
1 on short wall
2 on long wall
1 on short wall

My personal opinion is that pool circulation is important and adds very little to the pool cost if anything. Gets very hot in Tulsa so moving water is good!

Then where are you placing the skimmers if you have returns on every wall?

Skimmers near a return will just create a short circut of water flow from the close return to the skimmer. I think the return placement needs to be designed to flow water from returns to skimmers. Not just churn up the water.

Good point about skimmers Allen. Since the skimmers will more than likely go somewhere along the short walls I revise the need from 6 to 5 returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good point about skimmers Allen. Since the skimmers will more than likely go somewhere along the short walls I revise the need from 6 to 5 returns.

4 vs 5 returns is not going to make a big difference. His PB proposal of 4 is ok. Smart placement of returns and skimmers is more important then sheer numbers.

I have a question is the concrete decking solid all the way to pool edge (no coping ) or is it just not shown . i all ways worry about cracking and movement could be a issue to repair . i have seen some done and do like the clean lines you can have.
No, there will be concrete coping, separate from the decking. It will still have the clean lines we wanted, just not shown in the image.

As far as the returns/skimmers/lights, we have not seen the detail drawing yet, so not sure about the placement.

The Pentair Intelliflo pump is a VSF 3 HP (011056). They are coming on Tuesday to talk to us and iron out the details, and I will be asking them about the IChlor vs IS40 or IS60. There appears to be a substantial markup to go to one of the IS models.

They are coming on Tuesday to talk to us and iron out the details, and I will be asking them about the IChlor vs IS40 or IS60. There appears to be a substantial markup to go to one of the IS models.

Should be around a $500 - $700 difference between the IChlor vs IC40 or IC60.

Yes, but I think it will be worth it in the long run, based on what I have read here. Seems like there will be a good energy savings, plus not having to replace the salt cell as soon.

It will give you much more flexibility in your pump run time duration and your cell % generation. And you be more confident the SWG alone can meet your pools CL needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.