Need help with identifying suction pipes

mskillens

Jun 26, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys,

So, I want to label my equipment and I need to just know what is happening in these pipes. I have pictured both suction and return pipes. I know the return pipes well because there's one going left and one going right. I have a pool that has a raised overflowing spa so return pipe to the right of this photograph goes to the spa, as it turns it on. The other pipe goes to the pool. I don't have any fancy waterfalls or anything like that.

My biggest question mark is the suction side of this equipment. I have three pipes, I know the one on the right side is the spa because I tested it out and the water starts to deplete from there so I have it at off unless I'm using it fully or cleaning it.

But I have only two others and the thing is, I have a main drain, a skimmer AND a cleaner side. So one of these pipes I guess holds both of something. Its hard to tell with the skimmer because I have that thing over it, I don't know what you call it. It's like a weird cap and I have no idea if it's draining anything as I don't feel any suction when I put my hand down on it. I do note that there is something moving through so maybe there is suction but I'm super confused as a result. I hope you guys understand my newbie dilemma. What directions should these valves be placed in during a normal day of just swimming in the pool?

Anyway, here's the photograph, if you can't give a definitive answer, let me know how I can test it. I don't believe my system is complicated but it's certainly intimidating for a beginner pool owner.

111913Equipment.jpg

Last edited:
M,

Your main drain is most likely plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer. The valve at the equipment pad most likely selects either the Skimmer or the Vacuum port on the side wall of your pool.

Only you will be able to tell what is what by experimenting. Turn the valve on the left in your picture, so that the handle points straight down and see what happens.. This will shut off any water trying to enter from the top of the valve. Then turn the handle so that it points straight up and see what happens.. This will shut off all the water from coming in from the bottom of the valve..

If your vacuum port has a little spring loaded door, when you select all vacuum, the pump will run out of water in a second or so.. If this happens, open the valve immediately.

If you have your cleaner connected to the vacuum port, in one position the cleaner will run and in the other position, the cleaner will not run. This will tell you which pipe goes to the vacuum and which to the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mskillens
M,

Your main drain is most likely plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer. The valve at the equipment pad most likely selects either the Skimmer or the Vacuum port on the side wall of your pool.

Only you will be able to tell what is what by experimenting. Turn the valve on the left in your picture, so that the handle points straight down and see what happens.. This will shut off any water trying to enter from the top of the valve. Then turn the handle so that it points straight up and see what happens.. This will shut off all the water from coming in from the bottom of the valve..

If your vacuum port has a little spring loaded door, when you select all vacuum, the pump will run out of water in a second or so.. If this happens, open the valve immediately.

If you have your cleaner connected to the vacuum port, in one position the cleaner will run and in the other position, the cleaner will not run. This will tell you which pipe goes to the vacuum and which to the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! The pipe on the very left is specifically the cleaner suction pipe. I just did what you told and turned it off for 3 minutes and noticed the barracuda wasn't really moving.

I guess my last question is if there's a correct way of having these suction pipes open. I know the spa should just be off otherwise it drains it all out. I currently have both the cleaner and skimmer/main drain completely wide open so hopefully that's okay.

M,

Is is ok, but if this were my pool, I would close the vacuum valve until the cleaner did not work, and then open it a little at a time until the cleaner just works well.. The idea being to have as much suction going to the skimmer as possible, and only just what is needed to run the cleaner..

Thanks,

Jim R.

M,

Is is ok, but if this were my pool, I would close the vacuum valve until the cleaner did not work, and then open it a little at a time until the cleaner just works well.. The idea being to have as much suction going to the skimmer as possible, and only just what is needed to run the cleaner..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I might actually take your advice with the valve settings. It makes perfect sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.