Need help with Green water

I believe you are not seeing the results you are looking for due to the FC still being too high and the cold water. Metal Magic directions state that the water temp should be above 60 for best results and the high chlorine level is too high.

This might be a case where a clarifier or floc would help.

Note that clarifier and floc are normally not needed or recommended. However, I think that they can be helpful in a limited number of situations.

Also, if you use floc, you would need to be able to vacuum to waste any settled debris.

In addition to a clarifier/floc, I would suggest looking at a product called Sparke Up. It is a powder that you mix in water and dump in the skimmer. It partially clogs the filter to help it filter smaller particles. It isn't cheap but it seems to do what the vendor claims.

I battled a water problem last fall where I had a layer of 'stuff' on the bottom of the pool. The first time I did a manual vacuum, the water was a little cloudy afterwards and I figured I had just stirred some of the stuff up off the bottom. I let it settle and vacuumed the next weekend but much gentler and the water was cloudier than the previous weekend. I let it settle again and did another manual vacuum. I was less than half way around the pool and the water was so cloudy I could no longer see the bottom of the pool. Most of what I was sucking off the bottom was shooting straight through the filter. I ran the pump around the clock for three days with no improvement. I then tried Sparkle Up and a clarifier and I had crystal clear water three days later.

By the way, I have no vested interest in Sparkle Up; just a happy pool owner.

Sounds like "sparkle Up" is likely just overpriced DE ... that is good for sand filters, but not recommended for cartridge filters. There should be no need to try to clog-up a cartridge filter.

If I remember correctly, it is a cellulose product. All I know is that the clarifier alone did not clear my water. Once I added the Sparke Up the water cleared within a few days. My understanding is that a dirty filter always works better than a clean one because of the decreasing size of the particles it lets pass.

View attachment 27398

Here is the latest pic from 10:00 CST. I included the polaris at the bottom of the pool here, so you can see the clarity and cloudiness levels. Here is the one thing that is standing out today: the pressure gauge on my pump is still at 10, no increase in 24 hours and only up from 9 when I cleaned the filters 48 hours ago. So the filters don't seem to be absorbing anything right now. But I still have green. I'm taking a do-nothing approach (other than measuring water and brushing) for the next 48 hours. Obviously if the filter pressure shows an increase overnight I'll clean them tomorrow. On Tuesday I'd be willing then to try alternative measures, including flocculant to try to break up what's hanging around in my water.

Here is something you can try. Fill a clean white 5 gallon bucket with pool water. If you can see the color, add some ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to the water to see if the color goes away. Then start over and try a few drops of bleach to see what that does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
10 days later, pool water is still a clear green. I have done nothing besides run the pump 12 hours per day, and add some muratic acid following rain last week. Chlorine has naturally dropped off, and now we have warmer weather. Water temp has gone from 51 to 55. I have my Intellichlor set to 20% output, and I assume it will start producing with a few more 75 degree days and water temp hitting high 50's. But, I'm probably going to do an Ascorbic acid stain treatment over the weekend when the chlorine gets to 1 or lower. At least then I won't have to look at stains in addition to my perfectly clear green water.
Current test results:
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 260
CYA 20
FC 3
TC 3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.