Need help with fiberglass perimeter bonding inspection (IRC E4204.2(2) )

fiberglass58

Mar 15, 2023
Austin, TX
Dear All,

I need your help to understand the request and see if the inspector request is legitimate. Of course I care about my family's safety first but I am not sure if I need to hire an engineering firm to find out that the pool and perimeter is properly grounded.

A little bit of background info. My pool builder filed a bankruptcy and left without completing all the permits. The last inspection we passed is pre-pour inspection which includes wire bonding. Now I am by myself and electrical contractors does not understand what the inspector is saying. I am attaching his response in the thread. I know fiberglass pools are nonconductive pools and not sure what it means really when it comes to the Pool Deck and Equipotential Bond Inspection.

I appreciate your help in advance.Pool_inspection.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding some additiion photos of what was origincally approved and photos of current state of the pool install and plans would be helpful to fully understand what the inpector concern is.

It sound like the intial inspection was appoved but that was only of the portion of the bonding system that is required. Sounds like concrete decking was poured around the pool but the bonding inspection for the 3 foot area around the pool was not performed and/or the bonding for any metal for railing, diving board supports, equipement etc was not inspected either.

IEC section E4204 link

Read section 680.26
NEC 70 section 680.26 page 1
NEC 70 section 680.26 page 2
NEC 70 section 680.26 page 3

Welcome to TFP.

Was rebar placed in the concrete collar? The rebar in the collar of a fiberglass pool must be connected to the bonding grid.

Fiberglass_Pool_Collar_Prep.jpg

A fiberglass pool is non-conductive and requires a water bond that connects with the concrete collar and the pool equipment to form the bonding grid.

See the 680.26 section in this reference from Mike Holt Enterprises on Article 680—Swimming Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, Fountains, and Similar Installations

Pool_Bonding.jpg

Last edited:
Since it is fiberglass pool, there is only deck concrete. Our deck is only 1 foot and it had rebars like in the picture. And that's what pre-pour inspection was for. I assume it was inspected before the deck is poured, given that it is the only concrete area in this project. Am I missing something here?

Have you reviewed the Mike Holt document I linked to?

Do you have bare #8 bonding wires connected to the rebar in four locations uniformly spaced around the pool?

Equipotential bonding must extend 3 feet beyond the inside wall of the pool. If your concrete collar with rebar only extends 1 foot then you may need to run a #8 bonding wire around the 18 to 24 inch area.

I think the code states that 3 ft around the pool needs to have a bonding wire. It doesn't matter if there is concrete, pavers, grass or soil in the 3 ft, it needs some type of bonding. It could be wire mesh, rebar or bare copper wire.

I think the code states that 3 ft around the pool needs to have a bonding wire. It doesn't matter if there is concrete, pavers, grass or soil in the 3 ft, it needs some type of bonding. It could be wire mesh, rebar or bare copper wire.

If you bury the bonding wire 18-24 inches from the pool it covers the 3 foot requirement.

I am not sure 4 point bonding is required for fiberglass pools. Based on IRC E4202.2: "For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required".
View attachment 477391

Argue it with your inspector, not me.

If you want to slide through the inspection then meet every requirement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not arguing with you. It is not up for argument, it is written in the requirement document. I came here to seek help, not to prove your ego.

Good luck.

You have the code material. Read it.

Did anyone take photos before concrete was poured that would show bonding was done? Another option would be do some digging to expose bonding wires and do some continunity checks to show the inspector it's been done and functioning. You may be asked to demo concrete to prove it too. If bonding was done, was it done by a licensed/certified professional that can attest to it?

The inspector is just doing his job of making sure things were done per code. Inspectors are pretty knowledgable and usually accepting to discussions on clairifications on what is needed. If there is a debate on if a portion of the code is applicable or not or how to interpet it, the inspector willl likely refer back to a licensed engineer and applicable manufacurer documention for you pool equipement. I am guessing this is not an unusual pool build or the inspector first pool inspection.

1678932266544-png.477391

That refers to bonding to the actual pool structure.

For a concrete pool with rebar, it requires 4 bond points to the rebar in the gunite or shotcrete.

For a vinyl pool with steel walls, it requires 4 bond points to the steel walls.

If the coping is conductive (Like metal (aluminum etc.)), then that requires 4 bonded points or bonding to each individual piece of metal coping.

If the fiberglass is considered to be nonconductive, then you do not need to bond to the fiberglass shell.

However, the perimeter bonding requirements are still in effect.

Some places allow a single loop of copper bond wire (#8 solid bare copper) instead of a 3 foot metal grid.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.