Need Help with Balancing Water in Newly Installed Plaster Pool and Spa

TXBlackWidow

Dec 28, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Hi there! We had a 12K IG plaster pool/spa installed the end of October here in Las Vegas, and I need help with balancing the water. I am waiting for my test kit to arrive, so here are my test results from a local pool store.

Water temp: 41
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 144
Total Chlorine: 0.28
Free Chlorine: 0.28
Calcium: 313
Copper: 0.1
Iron: 0.2
Phosphates: 165
CYA: 5

Can you tell me the order I need to fix things in? Thank you so much for your help!

Use your TF100 and run pH, TA, and CH. Unless you have added any chemicals, the other items are 0. Post those and we can guide you.

You will need muriatic acid, liquid chlorine, and Cyanuric acid.

As you are in Las Vegas, I suspect your pH is around 8, you TA about 130, and CH about 250.

Have you or your builder added any chemical? Has the builder provided you a start up plan?

This is all we got. We did not owner build. The only thing the pool builder said when I asked about the water was “you can pour in about half a bottle of bleach and half a bottle of acid” which I did not do. The plaster is gunite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 7
OK -- so you are two months into this and have not followed a start up plan.

So, start by adding 30 ppm worth of CYA/Stabilizer using the sock method. Add 3 ppm worth of liquid chlorine. I would then add 3 ppm worth of liquid chlorine every two or three days until you get your test kit. Keep the pH in the 7's. When will you be receiving your TF100 kit?

I would think your pool water has algae. No chlorine since mid October, you will have algae. When you get your test kit, we can guide you on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No need to add the salt. Water is too cold for the SWCG to operate right now anyway.
I suspect you will get notice soon on shipment of the kit.

What does your water look like? Can you post a picture of the pool?

It will not hurt anything to add the salt. If you like. Not needed until March or so when your water temperature will get to where the SWCG will operate.

I am amazed at the water. Not as clear as it could be but ZERO chlorine for two months. Odd.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.