Need help with balancing readings.

I am still new to the pool/ pool chemistry so just looking for a little help and point in some direction.

Here is the current readings I have. I currently have a high salt that I am trying to get down.

Pool is pretty clean just a bit cloudy.

Salt-4900
P.H.-7.8
Free Chlorine-0.5
Alkalinity-0
Stabilizer-0

Thank you in advance for your help.

What is your pool size in gallons? That is required to give you any meaningful advice. However, I find it suspicious that you have TA of 0 -- are these results from your own test kit, or a pool store? Also need to know what type of equipment you have (in particular, what your SWCG is and what its operational range is for salt level). I would imagine 4900 is higher than any model supports... I'd also recommend adding all this information to your signature for reference in future posts. Once that info is available, someone will be able to advise as to next steps. A partial drain and refill might be in order, or you may just need to turn off the SWCG and dose with bleach. Either way, need more info to help.

Ok so the pool is approx 6600 gallons. Yes the 4900 is higher the. I should be I am being told 2700-3500 is ideal. I got the readings of off a test strip. I'm not the best at reading them so I could be off a margin but I think I am pretty close. I have a aqua trol SWG that I currently have switched to off.

I also find myself having to backwash the every 2-3 weeks as the pressure on the jets or water fall drop tremendously. Is it normal to back wash that often. Is there anything else I need to do to maintain a sand filter?

I got the readings of off a test strip. I'm not the best at reading them so I could be off a margin but I think I am pretty close.

Take it from a newbie like me, and everyone else on here will tell you the same. Pool stores and test strips aren't good at all and do not give good/accurate readings. You need to invest in a proper test kit such as the TF-100 kit, look it up on Google, or it is in the signature of FattyLumpkin, or this link should work - http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html or another test kit that people on this site suggest.

I have a TF-100 kit and love it. No more guessing the color on a test strip, or driving to the pool store to get a test (they are usually wrong anyway), and I know it's done correctly and that my readings are accurate. I can tell you, that if you stick with this website and listen to what they tell you, you will have a clear and sparkling pool in no time with WAY less cost than what the pool store will tell you. The other thing you need to look at is the FC/CYA chart (you said you have a CYA of 0, so your chlorine will get used up quickly), but an FC reading of 0.5 seems really low in my opinion and that cloudiness could be the start of an algae bloom, but again, I am a newbie.

Also add the information of your pool to your signature line, it will help the experts lead you in the right direction.

Someone on here will set you straight, I figured I would throw my 2 cents in.

Brian

So the kit will be here on July 5th with 2 day shipping.
July 4th I have 60 people coming over lol.
Could anyone suggest me adding anything to clear the water up a bit. It's not terrible just trying to adjust it a bit.
I did another test strip this morning and stabilizer and TA are like 0.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there:)

Most SWG's will not produce chlorine if the salt level is too high. I'd refer to your owners manual for that.

Aside from that, I'd be reluctant to advise adding anything without accurate test results. Without an accurate CYA number, I wouldn't add more that 1/2 gallon of bleach daily in a pool that size until you can test. Have you taken a look at the links below?

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.