need help selecting SWG, pump, and filter for my 24' AGP

msi1337

Apr 11, 2020
Pennsylvania
would love some help with selecting the best equipment for the money for our pool. We purchased a 24'x52" ABG last year (it's a hybrid pool.. I believe Sharkline). We had some equipment from the previous pool. It was an Intex 2150gph salt water system with sand filter. Unfortunately the pump was exposed to my black lab who decided to chew all of the cables off of it. Luckily she wasn't hurt, but we are now needing new equipment. I also didn't feel like the chlorine generation was ever up to par as well for our ~15k gallon pool. I don't know if the sand filter from that unit is worth keeping, or if we should start fresh with all new parts...but we will need a pump, filter, swg, and maybe a timer. I would love recommendations please. We don't have a ton of money, so recommendations for a $1,000 SWG is probably not what we are looking for. Thank you!

24x52" is in the 13k gallon range......well should be

The Intex filter is probably too small, if you backwashed more than once a month it is. Around 19-21" sand filter is good, bigger is better every time with filters.

If you Intex swg still works use it, if not it's probably best to buy another one, price for power is very good.

Pump your gonna have to get s 2 speed with the swg so you can run low and make clorine, if you don't go with a swg and start chucking bleach you can get a single speed. 3/4-1hp is plenty fine. 1/2 hp works great untill you need to vaccum

Reactions: Mdragger88
It's not absolutely necessary to have a 2-speed pump for a SWG, but definitely would be best for your power bill. I personally have a single speed Whisperflo because that's what the equipment guy spec'd out for cost savings, and I didn't realize it until it was too late. I don't have any issues, just going to use more wattage at the end of the month.

I have a 33x54 above ground & use 2 intex swg - i have 2 returns. They keep up fine & in the hottest part of the season they run for approx 10 hrs - i run my single speed pump for 11-12 hrs anyway to keep things skimmed (MS bugs/pollen ?). I already had one from my old intex pool & picked up another one on clearance. Some of the parts are replaceable but i also just couldn’t see spending $800 on a swg with all the other expenses a new pool brings. I like that they are standalone units with built in timers - i just had to order hoses & adapters to make them work. For what it’s worth i use the intex auto pool cleaner too. Cheap & cheerful lol
Also I bought my pool from family leisure so i was stuck with the only pump they sell - single speed- definitely go for 2 speed pump if u can

If I was doing a swg and a single speed I would not do more than 1/2 hp. You are just throwing money away.

Yea what they spec'd out is probably overkill, but I have 5 returns in the pool plus the spa spillover function. With that volume, it creates a very nice waterfall off the overflow. I'm completely happy with it, even though I was more than irritated initially once I realized what they had done. They were trying to save money, yet went with the best equipment for everything else and really only saved about $600. Live and learn though. When it goes out you better believe I'll be heading in to buy the Intelliflo VSP. I also took over the job after that became my own pool guy, as well as wired everything in and programmed the ET. It was honestly easy work, and we waste a lot of money on subs for things that can be done relatively quickly.

Sorry for the late reply. I have an this SWCG https://www.intexcorp.com/products/...saltwater-system-cg-26669-110-120v-with-gfci/

I think for now, I am just going to keep that part of the equation. I also have a 21" hayward sand filter and I purchased a 1HP Hayward powerflo matrix pump.. from what I am reading, it looks like I made a mistake by buying a single speed pump :(

can anyone tell me how bad it will be to use it?

The pump will be fine. When the motor fails you will have to replace it with a variable speed pump. Federal regulations kick in July 2021.

It will consume about 1 kWh of electricity. So be ware how much you run it!

The Intex SWG only last a few years, in my case I got 2 years out of each, so be prepared to have to replace that too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 1.5hp single speed & i run it for 12 hrs a day - probably not necessary but it keeps the pool skimmed to my liking & my electric bill hasn’t been too harshly affected- maybe 5-10$/month & that includes running my 2 intex swg’s anywhere from 7-10 hrs/day. I’ve never run the pool pump independently from the swg’s for any length of time. Not sure what our kwh rate is here compared to your location.

Also i’m on season 4 with one swg & season 2 with the other. My previous one lasted 3 seasons & didn’t die the plastic cell housing cracked In a freeze that caught me off guard & the replacement cost almost as much as the new unit so I replaced it. (It’s in the shed)

You will be fine although the Intex swg are small and require longer run times. If you find your energy bill or pump run time too long just supplement with bleach during the summer. Most of your clorine will be from the swg so you won't have to use much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.