Need help selecting a new pump

gvl

Nov 20, 2021
SoCal
I'm considering replacing my Hayward Northstar 2HP pump as I'm having difficulty sourcing some parts to repair it. It feeds an older stainless American Titan 60 sq. ft. DE filter, 2" PVC pipes. About 20,000g in-ground pool. There is a spa with a waterfall into the pool on the same pump. Current pump is wired on 240V on an old-school Intermatic mechanical timer. Not too concerned about energy efficiency as we have enough solar to offset a 2HP single-speed pump running 5hrs a day. I'm in CA so as far as I understand higher power single-speed pumps are no longer legal here. So basically all I need is an inexpensive reliable pump that I can limp with through until I'm ready to redo the pool and the equipment in 5-6 years time, that's the plan anyway. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
inexpensive reliable
This may be a challenge.

Check with your power provider for rebates to help offset costs. LADWP offers the best rebate. None for SCE. Not sure about PG&E.

It's probably time to step up to a VS. Pentair is highly regarded on this forum.

You could take a chance with a budget pump that may meet your needs. This pump is rebranded and sold by several retailers.

Reactions: gvl
I'm with SCE unfortunately. So 2 speed pumps are a thing of the past too? As far as HP, should I be looking at the same rating? Are there any considerations wrt the type of filter I have with selecting a VS pump? I have a vacuum cleaner too, how does it work with a VS pump? I set it to run at max flow for some hours a day? As far as "inexpensive reliable", it is a conflicting set of properties for sure, but I'd take the closest approximation :)

You'll want the 2.7HP variable speed pumps from either Hayward, Jandy, or Waterway, or the 3HP Pentair for your setup. I would just get the right pump now so you can add automation of your system down the road. You can't set it up exactly how its designed to be used until you have the automation. For now just set a high speed "cleaning speed" for 2-3 hours, then a medium speed for the duration of filter time.
2 speed pumps are nothing like a variable speed. They are noisy, use more power, and won't last long either. They run hot on high speed which burns them out in 2-3 years. Plus you'd have to upgrade the timeclock. So yes they are a thing of the past.

You'll want the 2.7HP variable speed pumps from either Hayward, Jandy, or Waterway, or the 3HP Pentair for your setup. I would just get the right pump now so you can add automation of your system down the road. You can't set it up exactly how its designed to be used until you have the automation. For now just set a high speed "cleaning speed" for 2-3 hours, then a medium speed for the duration of filter time.
2 speed pumps are nothing like a variable speed. They are noisy, use more power, and won't last long either. They run hot on high speed which burns them out in 2-3 years. Plus you'd have to upgrade the timeclock. So yes they are a thing of the past.

Curious about the automation. I thought you just program the pump's built-in control unit when to run at what speed, is there more to it?

1 to 1-1/2 HP VS ........................Lookup AO smith Century vgreen motors. $350 ish. 2 through 2.5HP a little more but it's affordable. CA legal. And you can keep your hayward pump, or change the pump only out in a few years and keep your new AO smith Century vgreen motor on your new pump .

ao smith century vgreen

Sac pool brought up waterway, I just paid under 700 for a one speed 2hp. It was the last one at SCP.

Lookup planned obsolescence, Jandy is well known for making a superior pump that was so good it hurt them in replacement parts (where they make their money), so they discontinued it and quit making parts for it. Then parts dried up for it ten years ago. Haywar is not any better about this. Waterway and pentair (intelliflo) dont have that problem. Waterway is trying to make a name for their selves. So far so good.

Moved from here.
My local PS suggested to stay away from Hayward, I didn't ask for an explanation. Is there anything that makes Pentair a better choice? I'm in a similar situation coming from a Hayward Northstar pump circa 2005 for which many parts are no longer avaiable, perhaps that's what he meant?

Hayward versus Pentair is much like being a Ford or Chevy fan. Both have great products, and both have released a few mistakes. Other things might influence your decision more like existing connection sizes, automation, etc. Also being in CA you'll need to shop exclusively for a variable speed pump. But the sky's the limit. No need to avoid Hayward when shopping around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My personal Hayward EcoStar VSP has been running flawlessly for the past 10 years. The newer models are their TriStar VSP. I have installed Hayward, Pentair, Waterway variable speed pumps and found that some of each brand have had issues while most installs have been without any problems. Hayward acknowledged, a few years ago, that they did have a problem with their drives and would replace them under warranty after the warranty period expired. I don't know if that is still the case. They used to come with a three-year warranty if professionally installed, but I, twice, received warranty parts after 4+ years. They changed their drives and I haven't seen a single issue with their new line. Just my experience.

From personal experience, you're better off getting rid of that Northstar pump. You will find, if you only buy a replacement motor, that it, most likely won't fit due to the design of the pump. Northstar pumps had special motors made for them. Also, I quit working on them as they almost always had seal leaks after repairs. That was, generally, the issue in the first place, a leaking seal ruining the motor. I just, two weeks ago, replaced one with a new VSP that had been repaired by someone else (new motor) only 18 months before.

Advantage pumps are either Waterway clones or actual Waterway wet-ends with an Emerson motor. Waterway makes a good pump and, like all manufacturers, purchases their motors from a motor company. Waterway uses Nidec Neptune motors now. Emerson variable speed motors have been around a long time. You don't see many as there aren't, to my knowledge, any pump companies that use them any more and few did anyway.

I agree with SacPoolPro about the pump you should purchase, I've used them all. Don't waste your time or money on 2-speed.

Reactions: SacPoolPro and gvl
True you program the speed on the pump interface. But you would be doing it manually for the features. Turning the waterfall on you'll choose the speed you want, for spa you choose a speed. You can set a high speed schedule for cleaning and medium for filtering but those are the only automated ones until you get an automation unit.
When I setup VS pumps on automation, I put actuators on all the valves including the vac valve. Spa jets get 2 or sometimes 3 speeds that I put on the app. spa mode low speed for heating, medium for quiet jets, and high speed for stronger jets.

V-greens are good options so are the U.S Motor Nidec Neptune variable speeds. But the Northstar pumps used a special motor design to clear the pump molding. So not sure that a V-green would fit. It's the only pump I think they won't. All the home warranty guys around here use those advantage single speed motors. Just knowing that and how cheap they are I wouldn't trust advantage.
Waterway is a good. I hate that they don't include the base plates anymore and those have to be bought separately. They use the Nidec Neptune variable speed motors on them.
I use all of the brands but I prefer Jandy.
What you should really be looking at is which automation system are you going to want Pentair, Jandy Aqualink, or Hayward Omni, then make your pump decision so that it meshes.

I see about the valve control. Sounds too advanced for my purposes however :) Maybe after the pool remodel. I will definitely think about a VSP as this seems like the way to go. For the time being I've put together the Northstar without the impeller ring, it primed and seems to work producing about the same pressure in the filter as before, so I might be able to kick the can for a bit longer, I'm hearing pump availability is not very good at this moment as there is shortage due to freeze damage in Texas still and probably Covid related too. As I mentioned we have enough solar to cover the pump usage with NEM credits, that will however change in the near future as soon as SCE sunsets the grandfathered TOU plan I'm now on - that will be an extra incentive to start shopping for a VSP. Thanks everyone for your input on the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.