need help rebalancing

Apr 14, 2013
South Jersey
so after about two weeks of trying to balance my water and get it clear I could not get the FC to hold. I have a SWG. Testing with the Taylor K 2006 test kit
Finally decided there’s probably invisible algae or something in there that was not getting out. Drained the pool quarter of the way, Scrubbed the walls, backwashed waste, filled it so the vacuum could go on vacuumed up whatever was in there on the bottom, rinsed and backwashed filter, refilled the skimmer level. pool still looks a little cloudy filter has been running for five hours.
I don’t even know if we did that right but it’s the only thing I could try to do to make it clear. I looked up what to do and this is what I found I don’t know if I followed it correctly.
can I test the water now or do I have to wait longer? and what do I look at to balance first?
thank you
So update decided to test after 4 hours
FC 0
Cya 45
Alk 110
CH 220
PH 7.0
help please

Last edited:
so after about two weeks of trying to balance my water and get it clear I could not get the FC to hold. I have a SWG. Testing with the Taylor K 2006 test kit
Finally decided there’s probably invisible algae or something in there that was not getting out. Drained the pool quarter of the way, Scrubbed the walls, backwashed waste, filled it so the vacuum could go on vacuumed up whatever was in there on the bottom, rinsed and backwashed filter, refilled the skimmer level. pool still looks a little cloudy filter has been running for five hours.
I don’t even know if we did that right but it’s the only thing I could try to do to make it clear. I looked up what to do and this is what I found I don’t know if I followed it correctly.
can I test the water now or do I have to wait longer? and what do I look at to balance first?
thank you
So update decided to test after 4 hours
FC 0
Cya 45
Alk 110
CH 220
PH 7.0
help please
What do I fix first? Swg on at 100 percent
I have 2 pounds of shock sodium dichlor triazine 57% do i put that in now? I know I have to raise the chlorine

You need liquid chlorine. Do NOT use the dichlor, it will raise your CYA.

The SWCG is not really going to do anything at this point. It is to maintain your FC level, though yours is very undersized so that is an issue.

Thank you. ugh my his and went to the pool store unfortunately and they gave him flock instead of the liquid chlorine 😡 i’m sick so he was doing it and didn’t wait for me. they told him to flock and turn the filter off for 24 hours then vacuum to waste.
and the cc was only .2
FC already at 2.6
I did not have time to go out there and test the water today myself
flocking was probably a waste right?

Good luck. Floc is not recommended.

You will need to decide if you are going to follow TFPC or the pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure the floc is vacuumed to waste, so it doesn't gum up your sand.

Once it's gone, you can go again with the SLAM process.

You might have an Ocean State Job Lots near you - if so, I hear they're a good source for liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.