Need help on testing (TF-100)

PoolD

Jun 4, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've had my tf-100 for about a month now and I feel like I still don't know what I'm doing!

I'm doubting my results and end up doing them twice and burning thru my chemicals. I've already gone thru one bottle! Good thing I purchased the XL. I've also been thru 2 slams now and am diligently trying to maintain my levels. I thought I was doing great after the last slam keeping my levels at 7FC but woke up to cloudy greenish water after about 3 weeks...luckily I was able to get it cleaned up very quickly.

Anyways, I am doing as everyone suggests...holding the bottle vertical, mixing as I drop, not squeezing the drops out but rather having them drop as they form. I also clean the cylinder before every use. I sit at my kitchen table to test as well.

I was testing 2x per day (morning and night) this past week since I just finished my last slam. I assumed the levels would drop dramatically so I wanted to stay on top of it since I'm away at work all day and knew the sun would burn a lot off. I noticed right away that my levels didn't drop as quickly as they did during my first slam.

32oz of bleach was added on Friday night

Sunday 651am < passed OCLT
15 FC

Monday 654pm
11.5 FC
0 CC
7.5 PH
125 CH
100 TA
40 CYA

Tuesday 645am
13 FC < went up?!?!?
830pm
12FC

Wednesday 7am
12 FC
6pm
11 FC

Thursday am
Didn't test - trying to move to testing only 1x per day
645p
5.5 FC < huge drop in FC
Added 32oz of bleach to achieve 9FC (I found that my FC needs to be on the high side) plus a little extra so I wouldn't have to test the following morning and compensate a little for what would be burned off during the day. I even brushed to help with the circulation and ran the filter all night

Friday 7a - I had extra time so I figured why not test
16.5 FC < huge increase!!!

Am I worrying for no reason? Water looks great - crystal clear! This is my first pool ever and I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. If anyone can explain these numbers I would greatly appreciate it.

Variations in the FC testing is pretty normal. The only one that looks weird, i.e. outside normal variation, is the 16.5ppm FC test.

Do you have a robot cleaner? Non-uniform chemical distribution is pretty normal if just circulating with the pump and those robots do a pretty good job mixing things up by randomly moving around the pool and blowing water upwards. If you don't have a robot, just get out a brush and brush the floor and walls a bit, try to be aggressive with it to help move around the water a good bit. Then pull your water sample and test.

If you start reading <16ppm FC, you could also go for a swim, that will help mix things up.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I missed your Thursday reading. Okay, so it looks like Thursday you maybe got a false low reading, that's hard to explain. But let's assume the FC loss per day was pretty steady throughout the week. Then it's more likely your FC on Thursday was ~10ppm, you then added 32oz of bleach and got 16.5ppmFC in the morning. This is pretty much within normal variation. I still think you need to just stir things up more before grabbing your water sample for testing.

The pump needs to be on 30 minutes before you do any testing.
After chemical additions, wait until at least 30 minutes have passed until you take a sample. FYI, when adding stabilizer it may take several hours to register.
Take the water sample from the same place.
For the FAS-DPD test, make sure you have an overfilled scoop of R-0870 DPD powder.
Using the speedstir helps with the accuracy of your tests: TFTestkits.net or https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stirrer-Speedstir-Start-up-Batteries/dp/B004BGPC5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502460369&sr=8-1&keywords=speedstir

Read the extended test kit directions for the FAS-DPD test: Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test

Demegrad9: I'm the robot cleaner...LOL!
I actually don't have one of those, however a few weeks ago I started brushing every time I add bleach to help with circulation. I have a pretty crappy filter/pump (came in the box with the pool) and an even crappier return (no adjustable eye). I jammed a pvc pipe in to give it a down and side flow. After reading a lot in this forum, I knew I needed to help mix it all up.

Kcindc: yep, the filter has been on pretty much 24/7 due to my recent slam and I always take from the same spot, which is why I have so many concerns over my testing.

I will definitely try to overfill the powder a bit more. I've also been thinking about the speedster since I've been having so many problems.

What are you cleaning the test vials with? There is no need to clean them, just rinse them out and dry them off with a paper towel.

When you get the test water fill and rinse the vials with pool water a few times before getting the sample water.

If you can afford a SpeedStir get one, it makes testing so much easier.

okay, it sounds like you're doing a great job. I still can't explain the low 5.5ppmFC reading. I know people around here say to use 1 heaping scoop, and I understand the general reason why but personally I use, as best I can, 2 level scoops per the Taylor instructions. I know it shouldn't matter but that's what I do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.