Need Help - My Frustration Level is Nearing it's Boiling Point

Then what???? I've been so focused on getting the SLAM done guess I need to think about what's next. Do I simply let the FC go down to 3-5ppm, add CYA?? - my readings are inconsistent but 40,40,45 the last 3 times? Then turn my SWG back on and play with setting to keep that FC at 4ppm? Obviously keep pH and TA in line. Should I add borates?

WINNER!!!!
0 loss in OCLT, CC is 0!!! Water is crystal clear!!

So.....NOW WHAT????

Should I raise CYA? Some inconsistent tests a week ago, usually 40-45, 2 days ago tested at 40, yesterday 45. I need to raise to 70-80 range correct??

Do I let FC drift down to 3-5ppm range then turn on SWG and let it handle the FC level.

Of course pH 7.5-7.6 and TA 60-80

THANKS!

My response in red:

WINNER!!!!
0 loss in OCLT, CC is 0!!! Water is crystal clear!!

Congratulations :whoot:

So.....NOW WHAT????

Should I raise CYA? Some inconsistent tests a week ago, usually 40-45, 2 days ago tested at 40, yesterday 45. I need to raise to 70-80 range correct??
Yep, correct - raise CYA, aim for 70 & test/adjust next week.

Do I let FC drift down to 3-5ppm range then turn on SWG and let it handle the FC level.
Yep, let FC drift down & turn on SWG maintaining about 5ish FC and dial it down/up as needed.

Of course pH 7.5-7.6 and TA 60-80

:goodjob:

THANKS!

I had my SWG on all night last night, FC level stayed exactly the same overnight - I would have expected FC levels to rise with SWG running all night. Is that a correct expectation?

Yes, that would be a correct expectation....assuming testing was done after sun was off the pool and again before sun hit the pool. Maybe the OCLT test was a booboo the night before? Testing error? Is SWG producing FC?

hum, regardless of the reason, I suggest another OCLT, at or near SLAM FC level, tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

What is salt level? is SWG happy w/that?

SWG says minimum required is 3000, with ideal being 4000-4500 (that's a bit high for my taste but if I have to boost salt I will).

I had tested salt a few times before starting SLAM it was 3200, and if I follow Pool Math correctly adding as much bleach as I did would raise salt levels (by as much as 260ppm).

FC tests were after dark and it was multiple tests with 2 different kits over 2 nights so I'm pretty confident OCLT were past.

Looking in the SWG tube that holds the plates it certainly looks like it's producing chlorine like crazy.

Can you capture some water directly from a return to test FC? (with SWG running, heh heh, just reminding you :smile:)

I had tested salt a few times before starting SLAM it was 3200, and if I follow Pool Math correctly adding as much bleach as I did would raise salt levels (by as much as 260ppm).
okay, but you were also backwashing salt out during the SLAM. Have you tested salt since the SLAM?

If you feel confident w/the OCLT, then maybe last night was just a testing error.
Believe me, it happens. Don't ask :oops:

Will get a pic - just a shot of the pool itself?

As for numbers:
Last night 10:05pm FC 4.38
SWG running all night at 100%
840am today FC 4.24
SWG running all day - pool was used briefly, very hot day (near 100 degrees), about 10 hours of direct sunglight.
505pm today FC 3.52 CC 0.23
Measuring water directly from return line FC 3.64 CC 0.07

Salt was 3230

CYA was 40-45, nearly 3lbs of Cyanuric Acid has been adding in past 24 hours - still a bit in the socks left dissolving.

So...what does all that mean? I'm good at 100% maintaining FC around 3? Do I need more salt? Is my SWG failing? Something else?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.