**Need Help Matching Bluestone coping!**

GigiStratford

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2020
Long Island, NY
New pool instal. Pavers were supposed ti go down today. Bluestone coping already installed on Friday. Went to lay out pavers that were delivered Friday. HATE THEM! doesnt match at all. Totally different color than sample that was laid out in stoneyard display, and was assured bluestone would look good with it by the rep. Pool deck and patio is 2500 sq ft. Can’t do all bluestone or porcelain because of cost. Need to find concrete paver to match my blue/green Bluestone coping!!! Please help, post your own (most manufacturer pics are digital enhanced cant see real colors) pictures, or offer suggestions... 305285CF-39E0-4812-95C9-B201315FE8C0.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if trying to go with a grey/blue paver is the right way to go (though it may be). Often times trying to match means close but no cigar. You may be interested in seeing what tan/brown/grey looks like next to bluestone. Mind you, our bluestone is not thermal finish and is a broad spectrum of colors. If you click the picture, you'll bet a bigger version to see it easier. Our deck is carved and painted, though the paint is highly faded now 7 years on. FWIW, I don't like the current combo you show either.

• Love
Reactions: GigiStratford
I'm not sure if trying to go with a grey/blue paver is the right way to go (though it may be). Often times trying to match means close but no cigar. You may be interested in seeing what tan/brown looks like next to bluestone. Mind you, our bluestone is not thermal finish and is a broad spectrum of colors. If you click the picture, you'll bet a bigger version to see it easier. Our deck is carved and painted, though the paint is highly faded now 7 years on. FWIW, I don't like the current combo you show either.

Pool looks nice, those clouds in the back don't look so nice :)

Reactions: bmoreswim
I'm not sure if trying to go with a grey/blue paver is the right way to go (though it may be). Often times trying to match means close but no cigar. You may be interested in seeing what tan/brown/grey looks like next to bluestone. Mind you, our bluestone is not thermal finish and is a broad spectrum of colors. If you click the picture, you'll bet a bigger version to see it easier. Our deck is carved and painted, though the paint is highly faded now 7 years on. FWIW, I don't like the current combo you show either.

Wow, your home, pool yard and colors are beautiful! I wish we could use Bluestone or another natural stone for pavers for then there would not be an issue, nature knows how to blend its colors. For cost restriction we are in the realm of concrete pavers. I agree with your advice, spent hours at 2 different yards and came up with 2 solutions either very contrasting color like a beige tan with gray border, which I did not love, or a blended paver so coping and back stairs (also bluestone) could hopefully compliment. You are so right, there was no trying to match the color, the tones just never picked up, looked like tried but no cigar for sure! I hate using this term but this is what we “settled“ on.
2C85AA6B-5FBE-497E-8887-151316034132.jpeg

O
Wow, your home, pool yard and colors are beautiful! I wish we could use Bluestone or another natural stone for pavers for then there would not be an issue, nature knows how to blend its colors. For cost restriction we are in the realm of concrete pavers. I agree with your advice, spent hours at 2 different yards and came up with 2 solutions either very contrasting color like a beige tan with gray border, which I did not love, or a blended paver so coping and back stairs (also bluestone) could hopefully compliment. You are so right, there was no trying to match the color, the tones just never picked up, looked like tried but no cigar for sure! I hate using this term but this is what we “settled“ on.
View attachment 143813
also had option of.....a beige with gold and gray coping and steps would look like:
052F52FA-AF93-4E42-ACC4-045B8CE4D921.jpeg

I don't think you want bluestone for the whole deck. It gets VERY hot in the sun. Hot enough to burn.

I also think something contrasting will look better. Here is mine next to my "stonemarked" concrete deck.

1591105351746.png
1591105392813.png

Are those tiles? Or concrete? Cool in sun?

It is regular brushed concrete. They go back over it with a wire brush and make those marks to make it look like stones. It is called, "stone marking". It was just $1 extra per square foot over regular concrete. It is very cool no issues at all with heat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gigi, don't be so hard on yourself. We went through the same thing with our decisions, each one was painful but you know what? After a day or so whatever it was we were laboring over, our eyes adjusted and it wasn't an issue anymore. So no matter what you choose, you are going to love it, trust me. Even that first photo had a peaceful melancholy to it. You're going to love whatever it is you pick, just give it some time. You "Lawn Guy-Lynn" gals are a tough bunch to please!! :O

Best of luck with your project.

Reactions: S-Merry and Newdude
I have 2" blue stone coping and I will go with a rock salt decking. If you not aware, its simply concrete with rock salt adding to top before setting. Next day you wash salt out and have a pitted concrete deck. Decking comes out a shade or so lighter than coping

After a day or so whatever it was we were laboring over, our eyes adjusted and it wasn't an issue
So true. Add some furniture, planters, various pools stuff laying around and it will be hard to notice. Add friends and belly laughs and it will be impossible to notice.

The best part about having friends over is that its usually the ones who dont have their own pool. Their mind will be blown that you have a hole with water in it.

View attachment 143813
What color and brand pavers are those?? Love them!!

View attachment 143813
I love this! :love: We have a bluestone patio with a lot of color variation. At first I was bummed that it wouldn't all be blue (more expensive in an already expensive patio redo we needed but didn't want 🙄 ), but I really do love it, especially when it's wet and the sun hits it. We have flagstone steppers in various paces nearby, and as much as I hate beige, the flagstones and tiles with it are some of my favorites, and they really do work well together. This will be gorgeous - I'm looking forward to seeing your completed project.

Not a bluestone edging this is what we chose. I am really glad we went with a lighter color. I had considered a darker Grey like the boarder. This gets too hot to walk on at about 90 deg. I would not have wanted anything darker. I have some nice wet pics but I am having trouble resizing and uploading. I will add them when I can.. Not sure what the issue was but here is a nice wet look. I am still debating on sealing them but have not done it yet..

IMG_20190804_184803.jpgIMG_20190804_184130.jpgResized pictures.jpg

Last edited:
Not a bluestone edging this is what we chose. I am really glad we went with a lighter color. I had considered a darker Grey like the boarder. This gets too hot to walk on at about 90 deg. I would not have wanted anything darker. I have some nice wet pics but I am having trouble resizing and uploading. I will add them when I can.. Not sure what the issue was but here is a nice wet look. I am still debating on sealing them but have not done it yet..

View attachment 148352View attachment 148356View attachment 148372
Wow!!! That is beautiful! Love your pavers, what color/brand are they? They are perfect!!!

Wow!!! That is beautiful! Love your pavers, what color/brand are they? They are perfect!!!
Thank you.. The details are in my signature.

Techo block shale grey coping and blu 60mm smooth slab Champlain grey pavers with %25 Grande mix.

We chose smooth because we did not like the feel of the textured an were afraid the textured would hold some dirt.

• Love
Thank you.. The details are in my signature.

Techo block shale grey coping and blu 60mm smooth slab Champlain grey pavers with %25 Grande mix.

We chose smooth because we did not like the feel of the textured an were afraid the textured would hold some dirt.
Love it!! What stye coping is that. It looks smooth too not like some of the cobbled ones I've seen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.