Need Help, Friends to Swim Today

Jan 17, 2018
DFW Metroplex
Hey all - sorry, need some quick help. Really not sure what’s causing issues since the chemistry doesn’t seem bad...but I constantly get green on the vinyl liner (especially in the shade) and sediment. Here’s the chemistry:

7.8-7.9 pH
9.5 ppm FC (Usually around 5 but I bumped it last night to try to clear the pool)
<0.5 ppm CC
70 ppm TA
110 ppm CH
50 ppm CYA (I know it’s a bit low)
Here are some pictures:

You can see the difference after i swept -

090B1D98-A27C-443F-866B-1F20D39ED435.jpeg

5521110B-8C02-4C5B-A7E4-7A6270864626.jpeg

771999B4-813E-4752-A782-D1878E6BE5CB.jpeg

Attachments

• 6B38F8F5-F993-4804-A219-C60A730303D3.jpeg
    6B38F8F5-F993-4804-A219-C60A730303D3.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4AE2324D-D861-4A0F-8E49-86253DFFEAA4.jpeg
    4AE2324D-D861-4A0F-8E49-86253DFFEAA4.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5

Yes, you are safe to swim with an FC up to about 20...

The reason you keep getting algae is that you have never gotten rid of it... an FC of 5 or even 9 might keep algae from growing like crazy, but it will not kill it..

I suggest that some time in the future, you perform a SLAM.. No short cuts, no guessing, a real SLAM... SLAM Process

Once you kill the algae, it will not come back as long as you maintain your FC per this chart... FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

To your points a) ‘chemistry doesn’t ‘seem’ bad’..... b) ‘constantly getting green on vinyl liner especially in shaded parts’
c) is my water safe for my guests ?

When I think of the color of the lake water my kids and grandkids swam in recently
Your pool water could be safer... than what 100,000’s of Americans swim in over the weekend when they go to a Texas “lake”
But because your pool is not able to kill all contaminates (evidenced by visible algae, you Have to wonder what other contaminants might be in your water that you can’t see?
Algae More prolific in some areas can flag Circulation issues you weren’t aware of.?‍♀️
I wasn’t aware my pool had uneven circulation until I upgraded my pool cleaner, didn’t want to at the time, but old cleaner done. (Even after trying to keep cleaner alive for 3 seasons After being told cleaner was on life support)
I wasn’t smart enough to know my water had dead spots. But when I was forced to Replace my cleaner, WOW WOW WOW what a difference a cleaner can make GAINED improved water circulation too!! no more problem “dead spots” where algae loves to start their families
And back to the party .....
You could always make up for water clarity with food/drinks/Music..
And ask your guests to sign a cryptosporidium liability waiver?? ;)

I am not sure... let me go back in time to 1960 and check..... :mrgreen:

Using a suction cleaner is kind of like using an old black rotary dial telephone, rather than a cell phone...

I suggest that you look at Dolphin robot cleaners which do not require you pool pumps to be running to clean your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Suction side. Your pool is plumbed for suction. Are you saying where the attachment connects it’s an inward flow?

For 10 years i Wrongly referred to my “pressure” side kreepy krauly, as a suction cleaner because in my eyes, it was suctioning out debris from my pool.
Only, the difference, It “suctioned” by being propelled from water “Pressure” coming out of a return specifically built to pressure push the kreepy krauler to move while suctioning . Replacing my kreepy was tough, i DID NOT have the disposable income and went kicking and screaming to get one
But turned out being one of the best things I’ve ever done for my pool.
Since I’m set up for pressure side, my choices were another kreepy or Polaris, & while they are both good cleaners
I chose neither.
I went robotic, to save on my crazy high summer electric bills. And I’m now SO GLAD i did. Pool is receiving a deeper clean- especially better at removing the smaller particles, like flower bed dirt and increases circulation to ALL areas of pool
For less cost to run.
Robotic can go regardless of if your pool has pressure vs suction side set up.
I don’t want to give too much specific product info, because I’m trying to share what has helped me, rather than plug any one specific product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t have experience with other robots, but I’m very happy with our Dolphin s300i. I believe all the s series are essentially the same, I got the s300i as we got a good deal on that particular model.

Reactions: beautifulpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.