Need help filling pool from slow well

I would not make any decisions or chemical adjustments based on those test strips.
I’m not lol I was asked what made me think that my CYA was in an ideal range. I basically was using the strips to see if the water chemistry changed after I put the liquid chlorine In the pool.
:) Since you see how far off the CYA reading was when you did not put any in, you see how inaccurate the "guess" strips are, not only for the CYA reading but probably for ALL of the reading, making them all suspect. :) Even the "change" from one day to the next is suspect.

When is your test kit coming in? When it does, there will be a slight learning curve.
TF100TestKit (on their u tube channel)

K-2006 (google search u tube)

Then plug in all your numbers to see what you need to add to the water.

Have you decided how you will work on clearing up the brown iron water?

Press on. You're going to need a lot of P.O.P (pool owner patience). :salut:

Reactions: PoolMammy
For brown water with iron you need to filter your water through polyfill and terrycloth towels. Filter hose water through a bucket with polyfill in it. Put polyfill in your skimmers to filter pool water.

One example...

For brown water with iron you need to filter your water through polyfill and terrycloth towels. Filter hose water through a bucket with polyfill in it. Put polyfill in your skimmers to filter pool water.

One example...

I had my water tested at the swimming pool place around here it’s a Leslie‘s .... here are the results One is my pool water and the other is my water hose water.

Attachments

• C9756A0C-2CD6-489E-89B8-7B0B31C5E6FB.jpeg
    C9756A0C-2CD6-489E-89B8-7B0B31C5E6FB.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 17
  • EBC00AEE-00B3-40B6-B67A-5EFD8BB88CBA.jpeg
    EBC00AEE-00B3-40B6-B67A-5EFD8BB88CBA.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 5375489A-57DC-4DF7-A0E9-39F295658465.jpeg
    5375489A-57DC-4DF7-A0E9-39F295658465.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 16
I had my water tested at the swimming pool place around here it’s a Leslie‘s .... here are the results One is my pool water and the other is my water hose water.
I am lacking about 4 to 5 inches before I can turn on my filter pump. She told me there are test strips that I can purchase and put in a skimmer to test for other metals and suggested I use a product called Metal Free first thing off the bat as soon as I turn on my pump
Also, she told me that my water for my clothes as well as my swimming pool is only the second highest total alkalinity she has ever seen. I’m not sure what that means for me but just thought I would add that here. Do you guys have any thoughts on this ? Also I will be ordering my test kit soon but she said for now she will help me for free

Just keep your pH in the 7s using muriatic acid and don’t worry about your TA. Any TA is fine for you.

We really can’t help you much without you doing your own testing with your test kit.

We don’t recommend you using pool store potions without knowing exactly what they will do and why you are using them.

I am lacking about 4 to 5 inches before I can turn on my filter pump. She told me there are test strips that I can purchase and put in a skimmer to test for other metals and suggested I use a product called Metal Free first thing off the bat as soon as I turn on my pump

Also, she told me that my water for my clothes as well as my swimming pool is only the second highest total alkalinity she has ever seen. I’m not sure what that means for me but just thought I would add that here. Do you guys have any thoughts on this ? Also I will be ordering my test kit soon but she said for now she will help me for free

Just keep your pH in the 7s using muriatic acid and don’t worry about your TA. Any TA is fine for you.
We really can’t help you much without you doing your own testing with your test kit.
We don’t recommend you using pool store potions without knowing exactly what they will do and why you are using them.
Hi PoolMammy, I'm back and wondering how things are going.

Allen is so right and trying to keep you from doing what almost all of us have done in the past - thinking the pool store techs are the experts and have all the answers. Actually TFP has the experts and we all have learned and benefitted from them tremendously.

Yes, she will help you with "FREE" water testing, and then HELP you purchase several hundred dollars worth of pool store chemicals to dump into your pool. Remember "FREE" is not usually free.

The pool store tests are not very accurate. Just for "kicks" what were the pool store numbers? Do you really want to trust a pool store who stays in business selling product to you or do you want to learn it yourself, do it yourself and save yourself the hassle and money?
It really does just boil down to that.

Hi Marianne... I have been super busy and I really just wanted to use them at the beginning because I’ve never had well water before, nor experienced that water color change. however I do agree with you guys on all of that and I definitely believe in self testing and I have since bought my own test kit. It’s a Taylor. I really have been battling this total alkalinity and I am yet still to be on what I would consider routine maintenance My water looks good and my PH, CH, and CYA is in range but I do know I need to add some chlorine. So are you telling me that I need to stop adding neurotic acid to lower my total alkalinity and just start on keeping my chlorine levels up and self testing ?

Attachments

• 1CD93169-602F-4BA1-A18A-0EBE00CEF1A9.png
    1CD93169-602F-4BA1-A18A-0EBE00CEF1A9.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi Marianne... I have been super busy and I really just wanted to use them at the beginning because I’ve never had well water before, nor experienced that water color change. however I do agree with you guys on all of that and I definitely believe in self testing and I have since bought my own test kit. It’s a Taylor. I really have been battling this total alkalinity and I am yet still to be on what I would consider routine maintenance My water looks good and my PH, CH, and CYA is in range but I do know I need to add some chlorine. So are you telling me that I need to stop adding neurotic acid to lower my total alkalinity and just start on keeping my chlorine levels up and self testing ?
Muriatic * Darn autocorrect
Those are my readings I’ve been taking throughout the week as I have been trying to balance my water

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other thing if y’all don’t mind. How do I make it so that I know when someone has written to me ?

Clock on your user name - then Preferences - then under Content options see that Automatically watch content you create… & Automatically watch content you interact with… are checked.

You also have a Watch/UnWatch box to toggle at the top of each thread to get notifications.

Back from out of town again.
Clock on your user name - then Preferences - then under Content options see that Automatically watch content you create… & Automatically watch content you interact with… are checked.
You also have a Watch/UnWatch box to toggle at the top of each thread to get notifications.
I'm not very tech savvy, so I second what he said.
I also want to add/reinforce, get the FC in your pool to the level that corresponds to your CYA and keep it there every day.
Can we assume you have enough water in the pool that you are running the pump and filter daily? Is it now clear?

Back from out of town again.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I second what he said.
I also want to add/reinforce, get the FC in your pool to the level that corresponds to your CYA and keep it there every day.
Can we assume you have enough water in the pool that you are running the pump and filter daily? Is it now clear?
Hi. Yes it’s clear. I am still trying to raise my chlorine level and forgot to add my stabilizer. ? and also my total alkalinity and pH are still very high. I’ve already run out of the Regent for testing my CYA and it came with two bottles.

Hi. Yes it’s clear. I am still trying to raise my chlorine level and forgot to add my stabilizer. ? and also my total alkalinity and pH are still very high. I’ve already run out of the Regent for testing my CYA and it came with two bottles.
Glad the water is clear.
I'm also confused with parts of your answer, so would you please give more info to these questions:
1. Do you understand the principles of Pool School?

2. Is the pool full of water?

3. Is the pump running 24/7?

4. What do you mean by you are "still trying to raise my chlorine level...."?

5. Are you adding chlorine to the pool daily with how much Pool Math has calculated you need to put in with your CYA level so the chlorine level stays relatively constant?

6. What do you mean by "and forgot to add my stabilizer".? Once you add it, it stays level and no additional CYA (stabilizer) is needed.

7. What are your test result numbers:
FC - ?
CC - ?
TA - ?
pH - ?
CYA - ?
CH - ? this number is not important since you have a vinyl pool. Do not buy any calcium to add. You do not need it.

8. Are you swimming in it yet?

:cool:Please update your signature with the dimensions/size of the pool, type of test kit, well water, anything else you might think is helpful.

Thanks for answering the questions.
Once you update this, the mods can be more specific in helping you.
:swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.