Need Help Figuring Out Valves On New Pool

Kleezmaa

Sep 28, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi All. I'm new to pool ownership and have a few questions about the plumbing... hoping one of you can help. I am basically trying to figure out what each of these valves below controls and how I can reduce the suction at the main drain so that my automatic pool cleaner doesn't get stuck on it. I also want to know how I can vacuum to waste so that I can clean up some of the debris at the bottom of my pool. Can anyone figure out what the 3 numbered valves do and answer my questions based on the pictures below? I can provide more pictures or info if necessary. Thanks in advance!
Pic 1.jpgPic 2.jpg

Without being there it 's hard to say what pulls from and what goes where. I will tell you that when a valve handle is perpendicular to a pipe that it's in stalled in (like a cross), the valve is open. The handle part can be on either side. When the handle is in-line with the pipe, the valve is closed. The valve has a paddle in the opposite side of the handle that blocks whatever it's pointing at. So if valve #3 is turned to be in-line with the pipe, you will close the valve and starve your pump of cool water.

K,

Valve # 2 is called your "Intake" valve. It is used to select where the water going into your pump is coming from.. Generally from a Skimmer and/or Main Drain..

Valve # 3 is there so that when you can keep the pump from draining back into the pool if you open the filter or open the pump lid.

Valve #1 is your "Return" valve. It is used to decide where the water goes back to the pool. Generally this is either to the pool returns or to some water feature.

Edit.. Sorry, my brain and fingers got out of sync.. I have corrected my typo error on the valves #1 and 3... Oops.. :confused:

That said, you did not tell us much about your pool.. If you have a Spa, then there are many other configurations.

Only you can tell what is what, we can only guess.. I suggest that you put your hand down under the skimmer basket and see of you have any suction.. If you do, turn the #2 valve 180% and see if your skimmer suction goes away.. If it does, you will know which pipe goes to the skimmer.

What kind of cleaner do you have? Does it run off of pressure or suction? Where do you plug it in? Does it run off of a small hose about 1" in size or does it use a larger 2" hose?

The more you tell us the better our answers can be.

Edit.. It does not look to me like you have any ability to vacuum to waste..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
It's a bit too dark out to try your suggestions Jimrahbe but I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back. Very helpful! Thank you.

Jimbolo... I assumed the complete opposite because usually with other valves if it is perpendicular to the pipe it is closed, like gas or water pipes. Good to know! Thanks.

The cleaner I have runs off of suction. I hook it up to the skimmer with your typical pool hose, probably the 2". I fiddled with the valves before trying to adjust it but I had incorrect assumptions on what is "closed" or "open". I was never able to get the main drain to not pull water while the skimmer still worked. They always worked in unison, causing my auto-cleaner to suction and get stuck to the main drain after a few minutes.

My pool is approx 13,000 gallons, in ground. I have a SPA as well.

You mentioned it doesn't look like I can vacuum to waste... what gives that away? Should there be an open pipe in my setup where the water would exit? Does it usually exist to a waste pipe straight to the sewer? If I can't vacuum to waste, what are my options? I have sediment and sunken leaves I have to get rid of and I've tried starting a siphon in the hose to pull that out but it is incredibly inefficient. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

I will tell you that when a valve handle is perpendicular to a pipe that it's in stalled in (like a cross), the valve is open. The handle part can be on either side. When the handle is in-line with the pipe, the valve is closed. The valve has a paddle in the opposite side of the handle that blocks whatever it's pointing at. So if valve #3 is turned to be in-line with the pipe, you will close the valve and starve your pump of cool water.
This is backwards. The handle points in the direction of flow. If the handle is crosswise, the valve is closed. In the photo, valve #3 is closed, meaning the pump can't run without starving. The handles of valves #1 & #2 point toward the pipes they're using.
Valve # 1 is there so that when you can keep the pump from draining back into the pool if you open the filter or open the pump lid.

Valve #3 is your "Return" valve. It is used to decide where the water goes back to the pool. Generally this is either to the pool returns or to some water feature.
This is also backwards. I assume a typo. Valve #3's use depends on whether your pump is above or below pool level. I'm going to guess the pump is below pool level and closing the valve prevents the pool from draining when you open the pump lid to clean the basket.
I assumed the complete opposite because usually with other valves if it is perpendicular to the pipe it is closed, like gas or water pipes.
You know what happens when we assume. But you are correct in this assumption.

Last edited:
Since you stated you have a spa/pool combo, that changes a few things.

• Valve 1 is a 3-way valve and is the return to either the spa or pool, based on how you have the valve set.
  • Valve 2 is a 3-way valve and is the suction from either the spa or pool that goes to the pump, based on how you have the valve set.
  • Valve 3 is a 2-way Jandy branded valve and is probably used to keep the pump from loosing prime when you open the pool pump lid. In the pic, this valve is set to allow flow from the suction lines to the pump. Opposite the handle is the word OFF - and if turned 90* will stop flow thru that pipe.
So, leave the valves the way they are set in the pictures, start the pump and let us know where the suction side water is coming from (pool skimmer or spa) and where the return water is flowing to (back into pool or into spa). My WAG right now is suction is from pool and return is to spa (spa then flows back into pool). But after you report back with your findings, we will know more.

Chances are your main drains are plumbed thru the skimmer. Does the skimmer have two holes under the skimmer basket?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Hey Rocket, I have Praher valves on my whole system. Installed that way at build time. If my valve handle is in-line with the pipe, the valve is closed. I'm sure of this. I've replace a few of them. You certainly sound like you know what you're talking about, so no argument there.

The Youtube vid below suggest that these valves operate as I describe:

Kleezma, I agree, this is opposite a gas valve. The one to my heater is opposite as you describe.

Hey Rocket, I have Praher valves on my whole system. Installed that way at build time. If my valve handle is in-line with the pipe, the valve is closed. I'm sure of this. I've replace a few of them. You certainly sound like you know what you're talking about, so no argument there.

The Youtube vid below suggest that these valves operate as I describe:

Kleezma, I agree, this is opposite a gas valve. The one to my heater is opposite as you describe.
On Jandy 2-way and Jandy 3-way valves - Off Indicator - OFF area on indicator represents exact position of internal valve diverter seal. So on the 2-way Jandy valve, if OFF is inline with the valve, no flow will go thru the valve. And if OFF is 90* to the valve - like in the OP's pic - the valve allows full flow, so it's open. Whatever port OFF points to indicates that that specific port is off.

Since the other valves aren't Jandy branded 3-way valves, they may not operate the same way. Hopefully the OP reports back on what they find.

Proavia, I tried what you said and this is what I figured out. See picture. If Valve 1 is switched back and forth, the flow changes from pool to SPA as labeled. If Valve 2 is set to SPA, it slowly starts to drain it (while the skimmer is off) and if set to the skimmer, the skimmer works & SPA doesn't drain. Now, if the valves are set the way they are below, my automatic pool cleaner (working off the skimmer) will suction to the main drain and get stuck. My skimmer only has one inlet, where I attach my hose. Is there a way to adjust these valves to make it not stick? Can I set Valve 2 partially between SPA and skimmer?

In terms of my options for vacuuming the bottom of the pool.... can I just get an in-line canister debris/leaf filter attach it in the middle of my hose, attach that to the skimmer and go to town?

Thanks!

Pool Updated.jpg

Attachments

• Pool Updated.jpg
    Pool Updated.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm... wondering how your main drain is plumbed then. Do you know how old the pool is?

If you reduce the suction to the pool, you will also be reducing the efficiency of the cleaner - so it may not work as well. You can give it a try, but know you will need to balance the spa suction and spa return to keep the spa full to the same level while having reduced suction to the pool.

IMO, a leaf canister is a good investment if using a suction side cleaner. The canister prevents leaves and other debris from going into the pump basket or into the filter. You can install it one or two hose sections from the skimmer. But, if your suction cleaner is getting long in the tooth, save the canister money and consider replacing the suction side cleaner with a robot cleaner.... much better cleaning, runs on low voltage electric and does NOT require the pool pump to be running during use.

The pool is older. At least 25 years.

The cleaner I have I bought recently when I moved to this house only a few months ago and I'm leaving sooner than later so I don't want to invest much in the pool, just enough for me to enjoy one or two seasons before I move. I may just make a make-shift block/perimeter around the main drain so that my cleaner can't get on top of it. Hope that works. Anyway, appreciate all the great advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.