Need help choosing a pump+saltwater system

Aug 11, 2018
San Rafael
Hey all! I have an above-ground Intex Deluxe that's just under 7000 gallons. I've had it for a few years and am looking to upgrade my pump/filter and replace my saltwater system.

I had the Intex saltwater system and loved it, until it just crapped out on me after 3 seasons. After some research it seems like my best bet is just to replace it with another Intex unit and live with the fact that it'll only last a couple of seasons. I looked at the Hayward Aquatrol but it seems like it's nine times as expensive but doesn't last any longer.

As for the pump/filter... I've just been using the Intex pump + sand filter that came with the pool. The filter's worked really well overall, but the pump leaves a lot to be desired. I installed a Hayward thru-the-wall skimmer last summer, and I've got the Aqua Critter, and the flow is so poor that it just barely runs either very well.

After doing some research I'm leaning toward picking up this guy, the Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System. Seems like it will fit my needs for a good price, and "upgrading" to a D.E. filter is a nice perk although not necessary - I'd be happy enough with sand too, I just don't like cartridges.

Just looking for general thoughts on my pump selection as well as reassurances that the Hayward pump should work fine with the Intex Saltwater system? It seems like it should (and as you can see I already have a mix of Hayward/Intex stuff so I'm sure I have the necessary hose adapters etc), but confirmation from someone who's done it would be nice! Anything else I should be considering instead?

Thanks in advance!

How long do you run your pump for?

We recommend a SWG cell at least 2X your pool volume. So for a 7,000 gallon pool, any cell over 14,000 gallons will work.

I suggest you look at the Circupool cells. Lots of folks here have found them to be good value for the money.

I would not recommend you get a DE filter. Handling DE is a hassle you don't need. Look at cartridge filters like Hayward XStream 100 Cartridge Filter with 1-HP Power-Flo Pump

The Intex saltwater system had me running my filter for about 12 hours during the swim season - it gets to the 80s and 90s during the summer here and the rule of thumb for the Intex was 1 hour for every 10 degrees above 0, plus 4.

Interesting to hear that DE is more maintenance! I was under the impression that it was less. In that case I'd prefer to stick to sand - I've had bad luck with cartridge filters in the past and generally founs them to be a pain, plus the environmental impact. Not really interested in switching from sand to cartridges. I'll look for a comparable Hayward pump with a sand filter then.

Sand is the lowest maintenance filter.

You need a proper test kit to dial in a SWG. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C plus the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

With a 14K cell on a 7K pool you can run your pump at around 12 hours a day and get the needed FC.

Sand is the lowest maintenance filter.

You need a proper test kit to dial in a SWG. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C plus the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

With a 14K cell on a 7K pool you can run your pump at around 12 hours a day and get the needed FC.
I have the linked Taylor Salt kit, and yeah before the previous Intex SWG crapped out I was running about 12 hours a day during the swim system (up to 14 during heat waves)

Intex does actually make a pretty good salt cell, the controller you can toss at the checkout counter AFAIK
I have an old 8000 series Intex salt cell that is over 6 years old and still produces CL, the controllers are long gone on both units I ran the cells off of a 12 V battery charger with timers.
Presently I run a Hayward Aquatrol with good results, but cringe at the 500$ cdn cost of replacing the cell.

There are 2 sizes of intex swg now - 7k gal & 15k gal. The 15k ought to get u where u need to be no problem. Just don’t feed it too much salt or it will throw an alarm & you’ll be draining h20. I have one of each on my above ground pool now - i just had to order these adapters . The pump is definitely a worthwhile upgrade- I don’t really care for cartridges though- much prefer the sand. 229D5E9F-6558-4503-97C6-7EEBB89F64AC.jpeg229D5E9F-6558-4503-97C6-7EEBB89F64AC.jpegIimage.jpg

Okay great, I think my old Intex SWG was only up to 7000 so I'm upgrading to the 15000! Thank you for the input on that!

As far as a new pump goes, I'm looking at these - anyone have any advice? This is my first time upgrading a pump rather than just relying on whatever junk came with the pool.

Hayward Super Pump Pool Pump 1.5

Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Dual-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump, 1.5 HP

XtremepowerUS 2HP Inground Pool Pump 220V Dual Speed

Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump

Last edited:
I think I’d probably go with #2 on your list 1.5 hp dual speed here’s why:
-1.5 may be overkill for your pool but if u upgrade you will still have a good size pump - its dual speed so u will be running it on low unless vacuuming
(I have a 1.5 single speed & it blows the zeo sand i have back into the pool - having 2 speeds would likely prevent this)
- A Single speed is more expensive to run
- one of the others on your list is an in ground pump & is also 220v - not sure how much that matters
- cost - u still need a filter & you want the biggest one u can afford - not so much with a pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mandy,

Before you make your final decision on the cell I'd recommend you take a quick look at the comparison here. Look at the $/lb chlorine production, warranty and reputation/reviews. Warranty varies a LOT and is important since cells do fail fairly often and they're so expensive to replace. $/lb of chlorine surprised me as did the fact that some manufacturers claim their unit will treat more water with less chlorine production.

I hope this helps and good luck with your pool project!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.